PDA

View Full Version : FB group question

MamaSnoo
05-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I am trying to get a FB group going for my neighborhood. Does anyone know if you can/how to invite people to a group if you are not FB friends with them? I am not friends with many of my neighbors, but when I search them by name, I can find them, but I cannot figure out how to add them to my group.

This is the first time I have tried to create a FB group...so any tips are appreciated!

AngB
05-23-2013, 11:49 PM
You have to be friends with them to add them, I am pretty sure.

ohiomom1121
05-24-2013, 12:26 AM
You can send them a link to request to join.

TwinFoxes
05-24-2013, 06:18 AM
You can add anyone to your group. On the upper right hand side of the group page, there's a box that says "add people to group". Just type in their name. I think you actually have to create the group first, you don't do it during the setup.

Caveat: someone just posted this question in a different form. Asking how the heck did someone add them to a group they had no desire to be a part of. That person was not pleased. So just don't add folks willy-nilly. :)

wellyes
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
You can only add people you are already friends with. So just send them a link, explain the purpose of the group and ask them to "join", and ask them to spread the word to other neighbors they know.

MamaMolly
05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
You can add anyone to your group. On the upper right hand side of the group page, there's a box that says "add people to group". Just type in their name. I think you actually have to create the group first, you don't do it during the setup.

Caveat: someone just posted this question in a different form. Asking how the heck did someone add them to a group they had no desire to be a part of. That person was not pleased. So just don't add folks willy-nilly. :)

That was me ;) We were friends, and I guess that's how she could add me. But I agree, I'd ask before I added folks. I plan to leave the group when we move. It's not worth making waves right now to leave.

egoldber
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Hmm. I'm on at least one FB group where I am not friends with anyone. It's a meetup group for our July Disney cruise. They group organizer posted a link and then I clicked on the link to request join.

But I am not FB friends with anyone in the group.

wellyes
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Hmmm. I own a group and I'm not allowed to add anyone who I am not already friends with. I wonder if there are different types of groups? Mine is an "open group".

egoldber
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the one I'm in is a "secret group". Only people who are invited to join can see it or see the posts. For the group members, I only see the posts they make in the group, not anywhere else.

BabbyO
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm a member of a local FB group and I'm not friends with many of the people. It was a friend that told me about the group, but I just looked the group up and requested to join. Our friend approved my husband when he joined, but someone (the group administrator) approved me and she and I are not friends.

Maybe you don't have to be friends to join, but to invite someone you do have to be friends?

AngB
05-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Hmmm. I own a group and I'm not allowed to add anyone who I am not already friends with. I wonder if there are different types of groups? Mine is an "open group".

:yeahthat: Except my groups are secret.

I think to go and actually add someone,(type their name in the box and add them), you have to be friends with them.
But I just discovered you can email people a link to join, and if they do it themselves, you don't have to be friends with them.
At least, that's my guess.

egoldber
05-24-2013, 10:17 AM
But I just discovered you can email people a link to join, and if they do it themselves, you don't have to be friends with them.

Yes, in my group, the organizer sent a link. You clicked on the link, asked to join, and then you were approved.

I'm in another group where I am friends with everyone, and the organizer added me automatically.

MamaSnoo
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks, very helpful!
I have had 1 neighbor request to join who I was not friends with, and I was able to approve her. I have not been able to invite anyone who I am not friends with, but that may just be normal/how it is set up with FB.