PDA

View Full Version : Best convertible strollers: City Select or Phil&Teds or?

Kissmark
05-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Now that I've found my lightweight/travel stroller (Snap), onto the next project! Thinking a little ahead, what is a good convertible stroller that is good as a single AND a double? I want something that is good when I want to put two kids in, or if I only want to put one kid in the seat and carry 1 in the carrier. I currently have a Vista which I love as a single, but I heard it's not great as a double?

The popular ones are City Select and B-Ready, but I dont really like the way they look and when I tried the City Select I defnitely found it hard to push, with the older child at the front. But maybe all of these doubles are like this?

What about Phil&Teds? They have two new models that just came out, Dot and Navigator I think? Anyone tried? And does Bob have a converitble, or is that MB? How about Caboose?

Many questions as this is the first time I look into convertible. I definitely want a convertible type instead of side-by-side for double. Thanks for any input!

legaleagle
05-23-2013, 11:07 PM
How old and big are your kids?

Kissmark
05-24-2013, 12:09 AM
How old and big are your kids?

The kids will be just under 2.5 years apart.

crl
05-24-2013, 12:14 AM
I'd takes look at the MB Plus One. Apparently there is a difficult age where the baby doesn't really work super well, but otherwise it sounds like a great single to double.

Catherine

Kaylee31
05-24-2013, 05:23 AM
I had a Vista for a similar age gap, and it worked well for me the first 8 months after DD was born. I actually used it a lot, more than my indie twin. I know most people say the push isn't good as a double, but I thought it was fine. I could push it w/the rumbleseat, both kids, and a stuffed basket with one hand-- on flat terrain anyway.
And I used the rumbleseat way more often than the piggyback, DS nor I really liked the board. I thought it was a great double-- for shopping, and things like amusement parks, the zoo, etc. because 1) DH detests using a SBS in crowded places (even though it's only a few inches difference :rolleye0014:) and 2) I liked to have the parent-facing option, 3) later when DD was sitting up on her own, I could put the seat FF, tuck the footrest down, and her & DS could face each other a la the Select; which they both enjoyed. 4) DS could easily hop in & out on his own, and never needed the recline. Once he got over "riding backwards" in the rumbleseat the first time, he really liked it 5) the rumbleseat could not be easier to take on & off, even for a total spaz like me; and I could put it in the basket when it wasn't being used or use it as more storage space (held our cooler & wet bags on trips to a water park). I have also had a B-Ready briefly & agree the push is slightly better because of the weight distribution but I just didn't like it as much. It's HUGE as a single and more difficult to attach the 2nd seat.
I sold the Vista last fall because I grew tired of the fold in & out of the car daily & it wasn't cutting it for our then-current activities like hikes & going to the pumpkin patch. Now I have a Plus One, which I love and can take anywhere but I didn't like using it until DD was around 9 months. I definitely wouldn't have liked it when she was a newborn. She was never crazy about the carrycot, and it only has the option to go straight from that to an upright seat as a double.

ebp913
05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm also in the market for a convertible except my kids are only 16 months apart and still under 2. The ones I am looking at are

Mountain Buggy Plus One
Valco Zee with Joey seat
Britax B-Ready
Bugaboo Bee (or another stroller) with the Englacha Junior X Rider

I'm currently looking into what I think we need but these are the ones I know about that may suit your needs. I didn't really look into an Phil and Ted's options but I probably should.

KLD313
05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
MB +One I awesome. I love it and wished I bought it before I wasted money on my BJCMD. There is even a way to rig it to get through few months when you can't use it that someone here posted about

ebp913
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
MB +One I awesome. I love it and wished I bought it before I wasted money on my BJCMD. There is even a way to rig it to get through few months when you can't use it that someone here posted about

Would it be good for a 19 month old and 3 month old? I am worried it won't be very useful til my youngest is older. We also want a 3rd pretty soon.

Kissmark
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Would it be good for a 19 month old and 3 month old? I am worried it won't be very useful til my youngest is older. We also want a 3rd pretty soon.

The difficult age I think us when the younger hold is between 3-6 months old, when he or she had outgrown the bassinet but still too young to sit in the regular seat as neithe radar reclines. I am not of worried about the 3-6months, I think I can just wear my younger one. But I am kind of concerned about the lack of recline in general. I'm not sure if they can sit in it for a long time without some sort of recline. Also there is no car seat option?

Kissmark
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm also in the market for a convertible except my kids are only 16 months apart and still under 2. The ones I am looking at are

Mountain Buggy Plus One
Valco Zee with Joey seat
Britax B-Ready
Bugaboo Bee (or another stroller) with the Englacha Junior X Rider

I'm currently looking into what I think we need but these are the ones I know about that may suit your needs. I didn't really look into an Phil and Ted's options but I probably should.

Why did you choose the b ready over city select? Just curious.

KLD313
05-24-2013, 07:52 PM

I started using it when my DS was 6 mos because that's when I got it. Idk how well it will work for a 3 mo old because you can't really lay them flat unless your using it in singles mode. Once the baby can sit up it's perfect. Lack of recline has never been an issue and DS falls asleep in it all the time. He rides up front and rests his head where the side of the stroller meets the belly bar.

PZMommy
05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
I love my Select. I like how many different configurations I can use. I looked at the BReady but it was wider than the Select, but the main issue is my 3 year old refused to get in the bottom seat. I didn't want to have to battle him every time we needed to use it. He loves the Select!

ebp913
05-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Why did you choose the b ready over city select? Just curious.

I pushed my cousin's Select with 2 kids in it and it wasn't a nice push for me. It felt way too long and heavy and there was no way I could do it one handed which is a requirement for me. I think that if the seating options are more important to you than the push, then the Select could be a great option. For me, the push is a lot more important so that's why I would choose the B-Ready.