PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer - buy one or hire someone?

NewMom2007
05-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Does anyone recommend buying a pressure washer? We have a wood deck and several stone areas. I like the idea of being able to clean things up as needed vs. hiring someone each time (or saving all the grunge up for an annual cleaning), but I also don't want to take on a job that may be best left to the pros.

I have used a much smaller pressure washer in the past so have an understanding of how to use one properly.

Costco has a pressure washer and I figured I could try it and if doesn't work out, we can return it.

Thinking for a few hundred dollars I could do ongoing maintenance of the dirty areas vs. paying someone several hundred or $1000 (past quotes we've gotten) to clean. Of course, I don't want to take on a task that may be best left to the pros.

Any thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
I'd get one. We borrow my IL's as needed, which is an even better arrangement. ;) I couldn't bring myself to pay someone to do it...it's really just manual labor and I can do it even if I don't want to. You could look into the cost of renting at Home Depot or ask on Facebook to borrow one from a friend too.

Giantbear
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I am debating the same question. For me, it is a matter of maintenance, a gasoline washer, i would not get an electrical one, needs maintenance that i am not sure i want to do. If you will use it several times a year, then get it, $$ and cents it will pay for itself.

elektra
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
We have one. DH rented one for a big job at our old house once and then he ended up just buying one.
He has every tool imaginable though, so it may not be something a more rational or frugal person would purchase.

roobee
05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I have a little pressure washer, I love that thing. I can't imagine paying anyone to pressure wash - I think it's so fun and satisfying to blast stuff clean.

zukeypur
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Roobee, which one do you have?

roobee
05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I just have one that I picked up a few years ago on ultra clearance at Target, I don't think I paid more than $40 for it.

Mine's electric and really easy to use, though one time I slipped and the spray hit my finger and gave me a good cut. I borrowed my dad's gas powered pressure washer but I'm scared of that thing (probably because of my previous slip)

http://www.target.com/p/karcher-k3-48m-1800psi-electric-power-washer/-/A-11129315#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=pressure+washer

wendibird22
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
We hired someone to pressure wash our siding a few years ago. I think we paid $200. To us, it was worth it to hire someone who had powerful enough equipment, long enough hosing, etc to reach the top eaves of our 2 story home. I have considering purchasing one but haven't found something that could easily do the above and not cost $$$.

lovin2shop
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Just be really careful if you use one on your own. My mom lost the grip on hers once and the spray hit her leg and gave her a serious wound. She had to be admitted to the hospital for it!