PDA

View Full Version : Save the Bats

wendmatt
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Please consider signing this petition. How can anyone think it is OK to build 3800 homes right next to a bat colony with 10 million bats. You know it's the bats that will suffer, someone will get rabies and they'll close it down....it's an accident waiting to happen. DH and I are going to the meeting this week at City Hall to support it. I know you don't live in TX but bats benefit everyone, especially by lessening pesticide use. So PLEASE sign :)

http://www.batcon.org/index.php/media-and-info/latest-news/714-save-bracken-cave-reserve.html?utm_campaign=education&utm_source=external&utm_medium=redirect

wallawala
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Bats are a big deal!! Would so rather have bats in my neighborhood than F'ing squirrels!!

I'm a "former" caver.

I'm not in TX, but I signed the online petition and forwarded on to some friends at the National Speleological Society (NSS)- ie caver central.

Thanks for posting!!!

AngB
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Signed.

brittone2
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
When we lived in NC we built and put up bat boxes in our trees.

Signing the petition.

chottumommy
05-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Signed.

cvanbrunt
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting. I'm a longtime member of Bat Conservation International and a trip to Bracken Cave is on my bucket list.

wendmatt
05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for posting. I'm a longtime member of Bat Conservation International and a trip to Bracken Cave is on my bucket list.

DH is a member and we are going to Bracken Cave on Saturday, I am very excited. I guess that's why I am getting into this petition signing, it's usually not my thing, but this seems so important.

elliput
05-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Signed.

alexsmommy
05-24-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not a Texan, and frankly, on a personal level, bats give me the creeps. But this sounds like one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. By now you'd think we'd acknowledge our impact on nature and try to find better balance. I get that bats are an important part of the ecology, and help keep the insect population in check. Wow.
Bats in attics, bat guano on cars, bats biting kids... who'd want to buy there knowing full well that they encroaching on a bats natural habitat?

MamaInMarch
05-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Went to a white elephant party once and they all thought I was nuts because I was so excited to get a bat house.

I'll sign it when I get on the desktop!

noodle
05-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Signed.
Thanks for posting.

Still-in-Shock
05-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Thanks for posting this. Not only does this development affect the bat colony, it's over the Edwards Aquifer, which is the source of most of the state's irrigation. And it encroaches on the territory of an endangered bird that only lives in this state. A trifecta of reasons to shut this down, imo.

jerigirl
05-25-2013, 10:34 AM
signed!!

SASM
05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Couldn't sign...reached 10,000 signatures. I'll mail a letter. :)

We built bat houses on our property 4 years ago. Every year we pray that bats would settle. Still no bats. :( We have mosquito, etc galore, too. :( I would sooooo throw a bat party if I could!!

tropicalmom
05-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Signed! Thanks for sharing.

wendmatt
05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Couldn't sign...reached 10,000 signatures. I'll mail a letter. :)

We built bat houses on our property 4 years ago. Every year we pray that bats would settle. Still no bats. :( We have mosquito, etc galore, too. :( I would sooooo throw a bat party if I could!!

That's weird, it was over 10,000 already when I signed so I wonder why it wouldn't let you sign?
We were supposed to go and see them last night but it was cancelled due to the floods and low water crossings in San Antonio (crazy, a main road is still under water), so we'll have to go another day.
Thanks everyone for signing.
Wendy