PDA

View Full Version : Tell me to chill - mouse in cupboard

ahisma
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
3 years ago, there was a mouse in our cupboard. It was a rarely used cupboard that, for some daft reason, contained a bag of bird seed. It was a happy mouse spot, meaning that there was also mouse poop. YUCK! The cupboard was emptied and cleaned out with 409 years ago but has remained empty. The mouse entry point was sealed and we've had access points at our foundation blocked by pest control.

We really need to use this cupboard. I'm sure it's ridiculous that we aren't. Okay to use for pyrex and water bottles? Particularly after an additional wipe out with bleach?

BabbyO
05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Totally fine to use.

When I was in college I had a mouse that for some reason liked my silverware drawer - that sort of gives me the heebie jeebies because who knows how many visits were made before I realized it. I actually cooked in college and used my silverware. :barf:

wallawala
05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Go for it! It's been gone for a while now, and sounds like you've cleaned up perfectly already.

Don't let the mousie win!!

Giantbear
05-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Just don't give him a cookie, i hear that can eat up a whole day

ABO Mama
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Just don't give him a cookie, i hear that can eat up a whole day

GB, you always make me smile :ROTFLMAO:

jammytoast
05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
in our (very small, VERY old kitchen) we have mice about 2-3x a year. Our house was built in the late 1800's so there's lots of little places to wiggle in.

Procedure is empty cabinet (hard, as we only have 4 plus 3 drawers!), remove poop, set trap, catch mouse, set another trap and have 3 days of empty trap, then wipe with bleach and restock. Often the most hit cabinets for us are the ones that we don't have food in, so whenever I pull the seldom-used pyrex from the back of the cabinet I give it a wash just in case.

My caveat to all of this is that I am anything but a germaphobe--living in this adventure of a house made me realize that there's a LOT that happens without leaving a mark, and if I were to go insane with clorox wipe I'd never get out of bed. I just see it as strenthening our immune system :D

dcmom2b3
05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Clorox hard-surface sanitizer is better than Xanax. ;)

elliput
05-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Totally fine to use.

When I was in college I had a mouse that for some reason liked my silverware drawer - that sort of gives me the heebie jeebies because who knows how many visits were made before I realized it. I actually cooked in college and used my silverware. :barf:
:yeahthat: I had a similar experience, only we discovered the mouse could get into the silverware drawer when my brother opened it while the mouse was there. That explained why my cat would sit staring at the cupboards for extended periods of time.

abh5e8
05-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Procedure is empty cabinet (hard, as we only have 4 plus 3 drawers!), remove poop, set trap, catch mouse, set another trap and have 3 days of empty trap, then wipe with bleach and restock. Often the most hit cabinets for us are the ones that we don't have food in, so whenever I pull the seldom-used pyrex from the back of the cabinet I give it a wash just in case.

My caveat to all of this is that I am anything but a germaphobe--living in this adventure of a house made me realize that there's a LOT that happens without leaving a mark, and if I were to go insane with clorox wipe I'd never get out of bed. I just see it as strenthening our immune system :D

yes...all of this! although we did find the entrance into the cabinets and blocked it with a fine mesh screen. then i proceeded to clean cabinets and restock.