PDA

View Full Version : would the world be a better place if every social group was co-Ed?

AnnieW625
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
I am all about equal opportunity, but there always comes a point when someone mentions that a boy should be able to join Girl Scouts and a girl should be able to join Boy Scouts I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. I think it is great that girls can be girls and boys can be bous without any of the opposite sex distractions. I belong to the Jr. League in my city and I am okay with it being a men free organization. I am trying to get my DH to join a local men's only organization as well. I think there is something to be said for single sex groups.

What are your thoughts?

eta: FWIW, I did one year of Brownies in the 2nd grade (our troop got disbanded after our leader took some cookie funds, and there was a shortage if leaders in my area), and then from the 7th grade through 12th grade I was in a co-ed 4-H group.

lalasmama
05-24-2013, 11:32 AM
I think there's good points each way. I would argue that most parenting sites are "women only", but I love the input we get from our dads here!

SO does a golf tournament each summer that is men only. I'm okay with that. (I think they do a women's tournament too, but I'm not that good yet.)

I think there's some good things about having a same-sex group--there's no trying to impress the opposite sex, there's no worrying about "keeping up with appearances" (ie, trying to make sure you look extra good), there's no worry if something is, or isn't, okay to say in "mixed company." I think it allows for a bonding that doesn't necessarily occur in mixed gender groups.

elektra
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I would say of course not.
There are definitely differences between men and women, and it's nice to have "women-only" things IMO. And men probably feel the same about certain men-only groups. There has just been such a history of discrimination and exclusion of women across the board in everything, that it makes sense to think hard about why a certain group is "men only" and try to be an inclusive as possible.

brittone2
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I very, very rarely hear that sentiment.

wendibird22
05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Well I'm a proud sorority member and have given a considerable amount of my post-college time to the development/betterment of men's fraternities and women's fraternities, so you can guess how I'd answer that!

I am glad that federal legislation/Title IX exempt Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, fraternal organizations, women's/men's religious groups, etc from discrimination policy. We done right and according to their missions, these are valuable organizations.

wellyes
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Absolutely not.

TwinFoxes
05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

:yeahthat: Same here. Regardless, I don't agree with it, especially at the youth level.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 12:44 PM

i don't get it either but i hear things like this often:
"Why should Boy Scouts be forced to include gays? What's next, then people will be asking them to include girls as well. When does it end??" i hear this crap a lot. Same kind of thing that runs along the lines of "Well if gays are allowed to marry, then what's next, people will be allowed to marry their dogs." I am not kidding, i hear this argument pretty often.

it's absurd though my mind is often too fuzzy to try to give a CONCISE argument against it, for why Boy scouts being all boys is ok, and why certain all-female or all male groups are ok and have value. if anybody has one i'm all ears bc i get tired of hearing of this from people who seem to oppose any sort of anti-discrimination acts.

mommylamb
05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
:yeahthat: In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about scouts for that reason.

Personally, I don't think single gender activities are necessary, but if someone enjoys them, go for it. I don't care unless it's something that's being supported by my tax dollars.

vludmilla
05-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I can't say that I have ever heard someone say that girls should be able to join the boy scouts or that boys should be able to join the girl scouts. I tend to socialize with a very a progressive crowd and if they are not saying this, then who is?

wendmatt
05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
In the UK it is mixed already and just called scouts. I don't know if there are still same sex and you can choose to be in a mixed or same group, but I know my friend's daughter goes along with her brother. I don't think it would make the world a better place, I think it's great that t here are places people can feel safe. But, I know my daughter would prefer to be in the boy scouts coz it looks more fun and she likes to hang out with boys :)

wellyes
05-24-2013, 04:44 PM
And boy scouts do cool stuff, like mountain climbing and kayaking and backpacking. Most girl scout activities are pretty lame in comparison. I mean, they do good stuff, but not "get dirty and exhausted and exhilarated" stuff that makes great memories that last a lifetime.

But, on topic, I went to a woman's college and it is something I would encourage for just about any young woman. It was a great experience. I don't think the relative lameness of Girl Scouts means that scouts should be co-ed. I'm actually sure it's nice for the teen guys to have that time without girls around, anyway.

MontrealMum
05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I would say of course not.
There are definitely differences between men and women, and it's nice to have "women-only" things IMO. And men probably feel the same about certain men-only groups. There has just been such a history of discrimination and exclusion of women across the board in everything, that it makes sense to think hard about why a certain group is "men only" and try to be an inclusive as possible.

:yeahthat:

Ceepa
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
And boy scouts do cool stuff, like mountain climbing and kayaking and backpacking. Most girl scout activities are pretty lame in comparison. I mean, they do good stuff, but not "get dirty and exhausted and exhilarated" stuff that makes great memories that last a lifetime.

Also off-topic, I hear many GS moms complaining about how the GS aren't like they remember it. Not enough outdoors, nature, tradition. There is more emphasis on being a global citizen, eco-activism, girl power. On their own these are fine, but there is a loss of the outdoor activities, physicality, learning about nature in your own back yard. As a former Scout that makes me sad.

dcmom2b3
05-24-2013, 06:29 PM

But, on topic, I went to a woman's college and it is something I would encourage for just about any young woman. It was a great experience. I don't think the relative lameness of Girl Scouts means that scouts should be co-ed. I'm actually sure it's nice for the teen guys to have that time without girls around, anyway.

:yeahthat: right down to the "went to a women's college." Are you a Blue woman, too Wellyes? :love2:

I think that any perceived "lameness" on the part of the GS just means that girls should make their own memories in other ways. Women don't need an organization to promote kayaking, camping or any other activity. The motto in our house: "As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, just do it, dangit!"

maestramommy
05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
1) I definitely don't agree that every and any social group should be co-ed. There is value in same-sex gatherings.

2) in your specific example, you're talking about scouts. I have actually always wondered why boy scouts seem to cover survival type skills more comprehensively than girl scouts. That is a minus to me (as an outsider looking in).