PDA

View Full Version : Evite faux-pas? Please help!

daphne
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
So, we invited all of the girls in DD's class to her b'day party (6/8), but none of the boys. I figured it was a safe way to cut down numbers & keep things fair. Today, I received an evite to a b'day party for one of the boys. His party is the same day, but a different time than DD's. I replied to just the mother of the DS that we couldn't make it b/c of DD's party (explaining that I was sorry & that we had only invited the girls). BUT, the mother of one of the girls in the class just replied to the evite stating that my DD's party is the same day, but they're going to try to make it to the boy's party, if they can. I'm feeling really uncomfortable about her publicly stating that. Should I just let it go or should I email the mothers of the boys to let them know we only invited the girls? I don't want there to be any hurt feelings. :( Hope this makes sense...
thanks!

Melaine
05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Ugh, people have no tact. She should have said that they had another event but would make it to both if they could or simply declined! I think I would just leave it and hope that everyone figures out it's just a girl party. What a shame there is a conflict!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
i definitely wouldn't email the other moms of boys..like Melaine said i'd imagine that everyone would figure out that it's a girl party.

and yes, that other mom needs to brush up on her etiquette. she could have even said "we have another birthday party to go to at x", she didn't have to say is your dd's party specifically.

Sweetum
05-24-2013, 02:38 PM
wow, no tact! not your faux-pas. so, I would let it be, and if you meet any of the other moms and it comes up, like the boy's b'day party, you can explain. otherwise leave it.

YouAreTheFocus
05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I think it's good that you emailed the boy Mom and explained. I don't think it's necessary to email all the boy Moms. I have been on the other end of this, and it is tough (I invited the whole class of 20, and had no idea another evite had already gone out inviting 14 kids to another bday). It would have been nice to have the other Mom email me and explain as you did (she just responded no). But eventually another Mom clued me in--for which I was so grateful!--and I ended up rescheduling our party for another day.

twowhat?
05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah no tact but agree to just let it go. I think Evite has a feature that you can turn off so that comments aren't allowed right? If so I'd do that next time. Definitely not your problem this time!

daphne
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
I think it's good that you emailed the boy Mom and explained. I don't think it's necessary to email all the boy Moms. I have been on the other end of this, and it is tough (I invited the whole class of 20, and had no idea another evite had already gone out inviting 14 kids to another bday). It would have been nice to have the other Mom email me and explain as you did (she just responded no). But eventually another Mom clued me in--for which I was so grateful!--and I ended up rescheduling our party for another day.

I was SO glad I had emailed her before the other mother posted about my DD's party. I guess I'll just let it be & hope that word gets around that only girls were invited. I hope that the boy gets a good turnout. My DD is only batting about 50% & it's a little heartbreaking. June is a busy month!

Thanks for all the replies!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 05:30 PM
My DD is only batting about 50% & it's a little heartbreaking. June is a busy month!

yep, try January :) everyone is worn out from the holidays and sick. ds is only 3, and twice we've had to postpone DS's bday party bc either the weather was crappy (raining & windy) and/or he was sick, or everyone else who was invited got sick and couldn't come. MIL almost dind't make it one year bc she was in the hospital the week before for complications from a stomach bug . So yeah, i hate the feeling of the week before, wondering if anyone is going to show up to the party. Though the great thing is, we probably worry more about it than the kids do (at least i hope so!):)

MMMommy
05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow, that is a big no-no for the other mom to reference your party in the other Evite. Totally tactless! I think explaining it to the other host's mom was fine. No need to worry about explaining to the other boys' moms.

ahisma
05-24-2013, 09:39 PM
As a mom of a boy, I would totally assume that it was a girl only party in that situation. Irritating that she posted it, and tactless, but I wouldn't be bothered if my son wasn't invited to a girl's party. He definitely has female friends and does go to parties when invited, but I get that you have to draw the line somewhere and sometimes the gender line is the easiest spot.