PDA

View Full Version : what to believe about sunscreen!

musicalgrl
05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Over the past few years - and thanks to BBB - I have chosen sunscreen based on EWG rankings. This week The Today Show aired a segment about Consumer Report's findings on sunscreen efficacy. Two of the brands we use scored at the very bottom of the list! Others with low rankings on EWG were given good grades by Consumer Reports.

You have to purchase the list from Consumer Reports to see all of it (I tried to look), but here is the story from ABC News which lists some brands:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/health/memorial-weekend-2013-consumer-reports-releases-list-of-sunscreens-offering-best-skin-protection

I always try to make educated decisions about products we buy, but it's tough when there's so much conflicting information out there. Thoughts?

megs4413
05-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't trust Consumer Reports as far as I could throw them...which is to say, not at all.

kaharris83
05-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't trust Consumer Reports as far as I could throw them...which is to say, not at all.

:yeahthat:

I use the Safemama sunscreen cheat sheet to select a safer, effective sunscreen. I know she, or someone she has working for her, tests them normally and if they haven't been tested she notes that as well.

AngB
05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
If the sunscreen you are using has been working for you, then I would keep using it without any qualms. They are just testing how well it protects from the sun, not the ingredients in them (which I think is all EWG looks at is the ingredients?)

We used Coppertone Pure and Simple which was a 2 on EWG and worked well for us. (Evidently at least "Coppertone" was rated okay by Consumer Reports.)

wellyes
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
:yeahthat:
The EWG ratings aren't my Bible, but, I have learned to take anything CR says with a real grain of salt. They've made too many mistakes over the years (remember "all car seats are unsafe"?)

ett
05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
CR said All Terrain Aqua Sport which rated last on their list used nanoparticles of zinc or titanimum oxide, but the All Terrain website says that they use non-nano uncoated zinc oxide. So not really sure where CR is getting their facts.

SnuggleBuggles
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I feel like EWG gets dismissed as being too alarmist or what not. I also feel the mainstream wants to roll their eyes at fringe stuff. But, very often those fringe things become well embraced by larger society...I think they are just slow to get there. How many years ahead of time were we discussing the risks of BPAs before it became well known and respected? Same thing with sunscreens, I think.

dogmom
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I try to take a practical approach to sunscreen. My DD is very fair and easily burns. I need good coverage for her. So I need stuff that (1) is easy to apply (2) she likes (both my kids hate the badger face stick b/c of the smell) (3) is a price that I can afford to buy in the amount I need to slather all over the kids and (4) I can get easily. So guess what, many of the EWG stuff does not fit my bill. I would go broke trying to protect my DD with some of the stuff and I know I would try to stretch it out, resulting in burns. So, I use the Coppertone Face Stick since I've had the best luck with it applying and staying on. I get the Pure and Simple stuff when I can find it. I put the spray stuff in my kids backpacks for camp because they can manage to get that on during the day by themselves, they won't put the lotion stuff on by themselves.

westwoodmom04
05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
I go by what my dermatologist recommends for effectiveness (I've had stage 0 melanoma). These brands don't always do the best on the EWG list (3-5 ratings) but for my purposes, sun protection is the most important factor.

AnnieW625
05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
We bought the Up & Up SPF30 spray based on the sunscreen report from 2010 and it has worked out great for us. Good coverage, and easy to apply.

I have also gotten other great recs. from them including a Toshiba TV we've had for 10 yrs., and Gain HE powdered laundry detergent. It gets my clothes cleaner than most other detergents and since none of us can use Tide it is great to have another powder alternative to Tide.

Now as far as carseats and some car related stuff goes I trust them less than I used to, but I still enjoy their publication.

:bag Exits the forum and gives up the BBB membership;)

crl
05-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I go by what my dermatologist recommends for effectiveness (I've had stage 0 melanoma). These brands don't always do the best on the EWG list (3-5 ratings) but for my purposes, sun protection is the most important factor.

Do you mind sharing what your dermatologist recommends?

One of the reasons I go with Blue Lizard is that SIL used it on my niece at their dermatologist's recommendation. Of course the formulation has changed since then. . . . So it's probably not all that meaningful at this point.

Catherine

mjs64
05-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Do you mind sharing what your dermatologist recommends?

Yes, do tell. Protection from the sun is by far my primary concern.

doberbrat
05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
I try to take a practical approach to sunscreen. My DD is very fair and easily burns. I need good coverage for her. So I need stuff that (1) is easy to apply (2) she likes (both my kids hate the badger face stick b/c of the smell) (3) is a price that I can afford to buy in the amount I need to slather all over the kids and (4) I can get easily. So guess what, many of the EWG stuff does not fit my bill. I would go broke trying to protect my DD with some of the stuff and I know I would try to stretch it out, resulting in burns. So, I use the Coppertone Face Stick since I've had the best luck with it applying and staying on. I get the Pure and Simple stuff when I can find it. I put the spray stuff in my kids backpacks for camp because they can manage to get that on during the day by themselves, they won't put the lotion stuff on by themselves.
:yeahthat: When I was buying California Baby, I tended to use less or skip it due to cost. So this year I'm taking a step back and going for less expensive so I use it more.

afa CR, they look at whether it protects from burns and how expensive it is. Ingredients arent looked at afaik