PDA

View Full Version : local FB swap/sell group = life changing!!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 04:18 PM
this year i've gotten really motivated to declutter the house of things we don't need anymore (baby stuff, outrown clothes, toys that are no longer played with, etc). i tried CL (sold stroller on it) but hated dealing with all the flakes/lowballers, on top of having to schedule time to meet up with peopel who usually lived a tleast 30+minutes plus away. in March a mom friend added me to a local swap/sell FB group (4 towns only). OMG, it is a trillion times better/easier than CL. yes there are still occasional flakes but not nearly as many. also, everyone is in the general area so i'm more likely to get people willing to buy things, and vice versa.

also, what makes it easier is that people usually do this thing called "porch pickup"...item is left out on porch, buyer comes and picks up item and leaves money under the mat or whatever. i don't have to even be there!! great bc i work full time and i just don't have to time to meet ppl like i would on CL. yes, it's an honor system of sorts but it's a secret group...you have to be added to be part of it, and if you violate rules you are booted off the site.

anyway, today i just made over $40 selling various things (baby clothes, books, etc). typically been making on average $20 every day. doesn't seem like a lot, but it really adds up!! it's awesome bc all i have to do is just leave stuff out and then come back and it's gone and money appears. it's awesome! oh, and i've been finding Hanna playdress outfits for $5 on there, so that's pretty cool too :)

anyway, just had to share. if you have a ton of stuff to get rid of but don't want to deal with CL freaks or the ebay fees, i would really recommend it. i am much more motivated to declutter now that getting rid of and selling things is so much easier. also, i've been buying more and more used toys/clothes for super cheap vs buying new....saving $$ all around!

wendibird22
05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Awesome! I'm dying to do this but can't find a local group. I only have like one friend in my small town so not a lot of people to ask if a secret one exists. I've tried google search for FB and my town and nothing.

Melaine
05-24-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm jealous. I love CL, but the front porch system sounds great!!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 05:00 PM
yeah it is really great. there was an issue with people spamming the site at first but now it's set up so an admin has to approve each posting. so that eliminated spammers or people just trying to promote their personal business or whatever.

i still sell stuff on ebay (mostly outgrown Hannas) because i can get more $$ that way. but for things like baby bottles, random toys, swim diapers, bottle warmers, carters outfits and furniture-type items (baby swings, etc) this site is great. if i ever have a 3rd child i will just be buying things second hand from this site.

citymama
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
That's amazing? How did you find this group? I need to do this!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 05:20 PM

a mom in my mom's group told me about it and added me to the group. it's a secret group so i don't think you can really find it otherwise.

i'm sure there is something similar in other areas. if not, you can always start one! our local one has about 4,000 members.

YouAreTheFocus
05-24-2013, 05:23 PM

If need be...maybe we can start one! :)

kristenk
05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
ms. pacman - which 4 cities? I think I'm on the other side of the metroplex from you, but I'm crossing my fingers... (PM me if you want to share the cities)

♥ms.pacman♥
05-24-2013, 08:24 PM
ms. pacman - which 4 cities? I think I'm on the other side of the metroplex from you, but I'm crossing my fingers... (PM me if you want to share the cities)
ok i will PM you!

LD92599
05-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I am in one thats limited to my county. It's great, well moderated and the group is extremely active.

Way better than CL.

citymama
05-27-2013, 01:48 AM
If need be...maybe we can start one! :)

Good idea!

WatchingThemGrow
05-27-2013, 07:07 AM
I'd LOVE to find one. What are some names/key words they might be listed under?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I'd LOVE to find one. What are some names/key words they might be listed under?

ours is called "Kids Stuff ~ Sell~Swap~Give-town1,town2,town3,town4"

i know they have another site for generic (non-kid) items like furniture etc but i'm not on there..almost all the stuff i want to stuff is kid related!

you could try posting in your facebook feed if any local ppl are on such a site

Melaine
05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
I think I burned my bridges in our local group. I posted some items for sale and someone immediately responded that she wanted them and said to hold them. Then she came back and offered less than asking price (what?) and then another person linked to a sale on the item that was cheaper than my asking price. The entire thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I think I burned my bridges in our local group. I posted some items for sale and someone immediately responded that she wanted them and said to hold them. Then she came back and offered less than asking price (what?) and then another person linked to a sale on the item that was cheaper than my asking price. The entire thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

wow, that stinks. i've sold over 50 items through our site i've never had to deal with someone trying to haggle at the last minute (it's not really possible bc most of the time i don't even interact with the person, they just pick up and leave $$ by the door). i've had one or two people change their mind after saying they're coming by, which is annoying, but that's it..i just sold it to the next person who wanted it.

i would honestly hope those people who do things like that would eventually get kicked off the site. our rule is 3 no-shows and you're off.

maybeebaby08
05-27-2013, 08:29 AM
I love ours too! We have 2, one is our area and Shop n Swap, the other one is our area Online Yard Sale.

Melaine- I can't believe that they posted the link on your posting, that's so rude! A lot of times people counter offer for $5/10 lower but I usually price a little higher then what I'll accept. I'm sorry it left a bad taste in your mouth.

ray7694
05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
We also have a great one. Ours is called Children's Items in Town name.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-03-2013, 02:06 PM
ok i figured i'd update,i've actually joined a couple more FB sites. :D

If you are looking for one, try searching for (<Town name> - Online Garage Sale)...there seem to be a bunch around here with that name (or "Online Yard Sale"). i also just found one that is for our housing development area! People often cross-post things on several sites to increase chances of selling. I've also just joined one that is "High End Children's items" or something...basically things like UppaBaby, Bugaboo, Hanna, Mini Boden etc.