PDA

View Full Version : Do you love your crockpot?

cookiemonster80
05-24-2013, 08:34 PM
DH just broke my basic Rival one- it had a few time/temperature settings, but it was nothing fancy. I use it at least 1 time a week so I'm looking for another workhorse, but it doesn't have to be fancy. I've had this one for 10 years so am clueless about the new features and gizmos. What do you have and do you love it? any features specifically that you love?

I'd love not to spend an arm and a leg, but do need a good quality one and I use it all the time.

AnnieW625
05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
I love my Cuisinart 4 qt. slow cooker (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PSC-400-Stainless-4-Quart-Programmable/dp/B000VA7JL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369446178&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+4+qt.slow+cooker). I bought it from Amazon for the same price it is listed for now. I bought it from Amazon and I like it a lot. My meat no longer tastes burned or over cooked, especially if I make a recipe that requires a 6 to 8 hr. cooking time and then it switches over to the keep warm function before I get home. I work full time so a great timer was a must for me.

eta: I also love the 4 qt. size vs. the 6 qt. I had prior and I really think that the 6 qt. was too much for us and because I never really cooked 5lbs.-10lbs of meat I think that the crock wasn't full enough and that might have caused the over cooking issues. I gave the crockpot to my sister's boyfriend and he loves it, but he does more bulk cooking than I ever did. We got ours in 2004 so I don't know if the quality has gone since then.

cookiemonster80
05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
I love my Cuisinart 4 qt. slow cooker (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PSC-400-Stainless-4-Quart-Programmable/dp/B000VA7JL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369446178&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+4+qt.slow+cooker). I bought it from Amazon for the same price it is listed for now. I bought it from Amazon and I like it a lot. My meat no longer tastes burned or over cooked, especially if I make a recipe that requires a 6 to 8 hr. cooking time and then it switches over to the keep warm function before I get home. I work full time so a great timer was a must for me.

I looked at this one- it seems to be a really good choice. the only negative I could find is that the lid doesn't latch on- and really in the 10 years that I had my other one I needed to transport it maybe 3 times so it's not a deal breaker, but it would have been really nice to have the lid secure while in a car, or for that matter even while storing in fridge (I usually assemble at night and then just plop it in the base in the morning) and actually if I had a latching lid on my old one it would have probably not broken so maybe it is a bigger deal:shrug:

KonzaPrairie
05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
I just purchased this one http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33969-Forget-6-Quart/dp/B005LLUXNM/ref=pd_sbs_k_2 from Amazon and LOVE it. My Rival crock pots always overcooked things, even on programmable 'keep warm' settings. I've cooked two meals in this and they've both turned out perfect, where I was like maybe 30% in the Rival. I haven't used the temp probe option yet but am excited about having that feature. It has a latching lid and while i didn't think I would care about that feature, I really like that it keeps the moisture in a lot better than the Rival did.

I think the programmable/switch to warm function is a must have, especially if you are busy and can't always plan on being home right when you need to switch the pot to warm. I looked at a Cuisinart that also had a Simmer setting and strongly considered it, but decided that I wanted the 6 qt option more. The Cuisinart's do seem to get really good reviews too.

athompson
05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't have this one, but I have heard WONDERFUL things about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-6-33-Quart/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=sr_1_1_ha?ie=UTF8&qid=1369449930&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot
It's a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer & warmer all in one. It also has a stainless steel insert vs. many of the enamel coated crockpots.

hellokitty
05-25-2013, 07:41 AM
I have the Hamilton beech one linked above and love it! The design was well thought out and the clamped lid makes it much less risky to take it to a potluck with you. Unlike the newer rival crock pots, it doesn't run too hot, so my food isn't turning to mush. I actually bought a fancy rival crockpot and donated it to goodwill, because it was such a piece of crap.

cookiemonster80
05-25-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't have this one, but I have heard WONDERFUL things about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-6-33-Quart/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=sr_1_1_ha?ie=UTF8&qid=1369449930&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot
It's a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer & warmer all in one. It also has a stainless steel insert vs. many of the enamel coated crockpots.

This one is intriguing- I love that it has a stainless pot vs the teflon- hate using that stuff. But I haven't the slightest clue how to use a pressure cooker- but the reviews are really tempting me.

athompson
05-25-2013, 09:47 PM
This one is intriguing- I love that it has a stainless pot vs the teflon- hate using that stuff. But I haven't the slightest clue how to use a pressure cooker- but the reviews are really tempting me.

I'm intimidated by it as well...that is why I haven't ordered it. I've heard their customer service is great and even some of the reviews have step by step instructions to make sure you're using the valve (?) correctly. I need to get over my fears of it though because I've heard of unbelievable dinners being prepared in 20 minutes in it:)

hellokitty
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Check out YouTube for videos on the pressure/crock pots. I had watched a few a couple yrs ago before I got (and returned) mine, but it was a different brand that stop pressurizing after the second time I used it. They are extremely easy to use.

MelissaTC
05-26-2013, 12:02 AM
I also have the Hamilton Beach one and love it. Everything has cooked well in it. I latch it when in use and I think it creates a tight seal so heat really doesn't escape. I consider it one of my best kitchen purchases and use it at least once a week.