PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making it to the airport alone with DS

basil
05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
DS will be 22 months at the time of our trip.

I will need one large suitcase, his carseat (probably will take our Roundabout), and a stroller.

If I buy a backpack-style carseat cover, will I be able to make it from the car to the ticket counter by myself? I figure one hand on the rolling duffle and one hand on the stroller, our carryon carried cross-body or in the stroller basket. DH will be working so won't be able to drop us off. As long as I can make it to the ticket counter, I can check the carseat and the duffle and then I'll be set. (I'll gate-check the stroller).

We have a direct flight so I'm not too worried about that - I figure the iPad and some snacks will keep him occupied.

Will it be better to take the Bumbleride Indie for the better one-handed push, rather than the G-Lite, even though it's bigger? I don't think we'll be using the stroller very much at our destination, so it's purely for the airport.

Any BTDT, or tips?

crl
05-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Are you driving yourself? I'd try to have a taxi or better yet car service. And then I'd check curbside. Well worth the tip to not have to make it to the counter. I'd go with the smaller stroller.

Catherine

mmsmom
05-25-2013, 07:21 PM
First, plan to do curbside check-in. You can leave DS in the car, check in your bag and then go park. Then you will only have the stroller, car seat & carry-on to get into the airport. (Assuming you are taking car seat on the plane). Bungee the carseat to the stroller handles on the back, put DS in the stroller, carry the carry-on or put under stroller and then you are only pushing the stroller. If you are checking the car seat then do it when you check the bag curbside (assuming you have a 2nd seat).

You may also want to see if your airport offers valet parking. Ours does (it's an off-site company). You go to their lot, then an attendant drives you to airport in your car. I would still check in curbside. For pick-up you can either have them pick you up then drive attendant back to lot or pay $10 extra to be able to leave straight from airport. For us, this parking is cheaper than parking at the airport.

KLD313
05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Are you driving yourself? I'd try to have a taxi or better yet car service. And then I'd check curbside. Well worth the tip to not have to make it to the counter. I'd go with the smaller stroller.

Catherine

:yeahthat: It will make things so much easier.

lalasmama
05-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Have you thought about one of these? http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Babyz-Kidz-Travelmate-Seat/dp/B000K5O9S4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top then you would be able to check the stroller too.

abh5e8
05-25-2013, 11:28 PM
we found its easier to strap the carseat onto the rolling suitcase. then put your carry on and dc into the stroller. pull the suitcase + seat and push the stroller.

or, if you don't need the stroller, how about this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JHN3AS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=sbt01-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000JHN3AS

(and i think its much better to gate check the carseat, vs checking with luggage)

niccig
05-26-2013, 12:16 AM
I was able to put carseat in stroller, used a bungee cord through the belt path to secure it to either side of stroller. DS was strapped in car seat, I pushed stroller 1 hand and pulled suitcase behind. We did it this way for years. It was a very secure set-up.

When we didn't need the stroller, I used bungee cord to strap car seat to fold-up luggage cart, Strap DS in car seat and wheel through airport - this set-up also allowed us to skip long security long at LAX and take elevator to top of the line. I swore I would keep stuffing DS into car seat for as long as I could for this perk.

tropicalmom
05-26-2013, 02:23 AM
Have you thought about one of these? http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Babyz-Kidz-Travelmate-Seat/dp/B000K5O9S4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top then you would be able to check the stroller too.

That is on my all time top list of most useful items along with a baby carrier. I travelled a ton alone with DD when she was between the ages of 1 and 2 yo. I'd buckle her in the carseat and pull her behind me along with the other piece of luggage, check the bag, use the car seat on the plane (wheels are super easy to remove). My carseat was too wide to get down the aisle so I carried the carseat to her plane seat and strapped it in and she slept comfortably through long flights.

I didn't need a stroller where we were going and actually my stroller was the least used piece of baby stuff I received since DH and I usually wore her when she was tired so this is what worked well for me.

flashy09
05-26-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know if you wear him at all at his age, but I travelled alone a few times this winter and ended up putting the carseat in the stroller and wearing the baby. It was easier than pushing the baby and carrying the car seat (I used it on the plane and gate checked the stroller).

basil
05-26-2013, 08:04 AM
lalasmama, that's very intriguing!

So with the GoGo Kidz, I would strap the carseat to it and put DS in the carseat, then wheel that and the bag to the ticket counter where I could check the bag. Then I could gate check the whole GoGo Kidz/carseat complex? He doesn't have a seat on the plane.

And leave the stroller at home.

Philly Mom
05-26-2013, 08:41 AM

So with the GoGo Kidz, I would strap the carseat to it and put DS in the carseat, then wheel that and the bag to the ticket counter where I could check the bag. Then I could gate check the whole GoGo Kidz/carseat complex? He doesn't have a seat on the plane.

I love the Go go kidz. The rolling part you put overhead. You also may get lucky with a spare seat on the plane and be able to bring your car seat on.

crl
05-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Yes. When I travelled with one a very long time ago, we had to disassemble to get through security. And the car seat does not fit on down the aisle of any aircraft I have ever been in with it. So if you take the carseat on the plane you have to take it apart and carry it.

You may be able essentially the same thing with a stroller by attaching the car seat to the stroller with bungee cords. I have done that with an infant seat attached t the back of an umbrella. Worked like a charm except the stroller tipped over when dd was not in it. Some one above described putting the car seat in the stroller seat. I have not tried that.

Catherine