PDA

View Full Version : SleepEz Latex Mattress - Did you buy a foundation?

theriviera
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
We are about to purchase our first latex mattress :boogie: Can't decide if we should get the foundation. We are getting a new bed frame, and it looks like there are slats across. Is the foundation worth it?

FWIW, DH and I are both side sleepers and we are both getting soft-medium-firm. Talked to Shaun and he mentioned that I may want to try soft-soft-medium (using DH's soft) if I don't think the first combo is soft enough.

indigo99
05-26-2013, 10:06 AM
If the frame has slats for sure then you probably don't need the additional foundation. However, the mattress may not be as thick as you're used to so that may mean that your bed is low. We got the thinner foundation (5" maybe?), and my bed is a LOT lower than before. It sits well below the beginning of the headboard so it looks a bit strange, but DS can climb up and down easily so I'm cool with that.

Before you decide, you need to know for sure if the new bed frame has slats or not. Also, latex is HEAVY so the frame needs supports in the center for sure.

eta: You can look up the recommendations on what you need under latex. You do want some airflow so there are recs on how far apart the slates should be, and how thick they should be. If your frame has just three or four 1x4" boards then that obviously won't cut it, but if you're talking about something with 2" slats every couple of inches then I still think you may be OK.

kcimato
05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
I would go with the foundation. Amazon sells the exact same one cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Brands-Instant-Foundation-Mattress/dp/B003XVKHNI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_7

Hope you enjoy the mattress. Love mine.

BunnyBee
05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
You need a foundation with foam more than just the slats that come with your bed frame. (Unless it's a Euro slat type setup, but even then...) We like the bed lower to the ground, so we have had a homemade version of "bunkie boards," but I'm looking to replace it with something else for better airflow. I have researched but not yet pulled the trigger on the Sleep Master supports on amazon. We don't want the added height of a box springs foundation.

mmommy
05-26-2013, 09:34 PM
I actually built us a new bed out of single layer Expedit shelves, some support in the middle, and slats. So we don't have a solid foundation. My understanding is that the latex really needs airflow. I LOVE our new bed, and the storage is awesome!