PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for high school grad. gift for a girl

JustMe
05-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Our neighbor (actually they have just moved out of the neighborhood after 10 years) is graduating from high school. She is a lovely, brilliant, sweet girl. I ran into her and she said she was figuring out her graduation tickets and that she wanted to invite me. (I don't think this will work out on either our our parts--she has a large family, but its the thought that counts). My family is invited to her graduation party that weekend. She is pre-med and going to an "away" college.

Ideas? The only things I can think of are a gc to either Barnes and Noble, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Target.

elbenn
05-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Other options would be a gift card to her college bookstore or a compact umbrella.

ncat
05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Cash and gift cards would probably be very appreciated. That said, I still have (and use) two high school graduation presents - I graduated over 20 years ago! One is a hot air popcorn popper, that a neighbor gave me. The other is an afghan/throw blanket that my grandmother had someone knit for me.

If you know where she is going to college, something in school colors might be nice. You could also get her some nice books related to medicine/biology. This is recent and supposed to be good - http://www.amazon.com/The-Violinists-Thumb-Written-Genetic/dp/0316182311/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0 I have this, and think it might make a good gift for a young woman entering college - http://www.amazon.com/Ask-Women-Power-Negotiation-Really/dp/0553384554/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369588987&sr=1-2&keywords=ask+for+it

MommytoEliana
05-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Gift cards or cash are always appreciated, in my experience. If you want to go a more personal route, a large utility tote from Thirty-One in her school colors with her name on it, with some laundry soap and a roll of quarters, would be a fun gift!

larig
05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
My mom's best gift is a home-made first aid box. She makes it for all her favorite grads. She puts in cold medicines, pepto, hydrogen peroxide, good bandaids, gauze, steri strips, neosporin, ice pack, aleve, etc. For a pre-med girl that might be even more fun. She usually finds a cute box and puts it all in there. Then she sometimes adds a check. She made one for me when I went to college, and it was so useful.

Kestrel
05-26-2013, 01:59 PM
We got my oldest niece a backpack made to carry a laptop (plus carry other things, too... not just a laptop case). She seamed to make great use of it.

I the grad going to be in a dorm? A great dorm gift is a shower caddy/tote with cool bath/beauty products.

Good luck!

pinkmomagain
05-26-2013, 04:50 PM
My mom's best gift is a home-made first aid box. She makes it for all her favorite grads. She puts in cold medicines, pepto, hydrogen peroxide, good bandaids, gauze, steri strips, neosporin, ice pack, aleve, etc. For a pre-med girl that might be even more fun. She usually finds a cute box and puts it all in there. Then she sometimes adds a check. She made one for me when I went to college, and it was so useful.

This is such an awesome idea. I'm going to file it away.....

willow33
05-26-2013, 09:25 PM
What about a sweatshirt/shirt with her college name on it?

crayonblue
05-27-2013, 12:18 AM

What a clever and useful idea! Love it!

ahisma
05-27-2013, 12:42 AM
My favorite high school grad gifts were a daypack and a nice monogrammed bath towel. It's been 20 years now (yikes!) and both still stand out and are in regular use.

FWIW, the towel is Ralph Lauren. I have no clue if the quality is still the same, but I find it shocking that it's still in good condition. The daypack is great too - Mountainsmith.

JustMe
05-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, these are great ideas! Thanks!

AnnieW625
05-27-2013, 01:32 PM
The Pottery Barn small engravable jewelry boxes are my go to for high school graduations for close friends.
http://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/engravable-silver-plated-jewelry-boxes/?cm_src=SEARCH_TOPPRODUCT%7C%7CNoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Jewelry-_-&cm_re=OnsiteSearch-_-SCHBillboard-_-SEARCH_TOPPRODUCT%7C%7CNoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Jewelry-_-

A gift card to Bed Bath & Beyond for someone moving into the dorms is also a nice one as is a nice college sweatshirt. I haven't done it yet as a gift, but a zippered monogrammed large LLBean boat tote would be nice as well. You can custom make them as well so maybe the college colors of your choice.

cchavez
05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Kendra Scott Elle earrings!