PDA

View Full Version : Help/advice - long

Chitowngirl
05-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I bought a snap 3 used on eBay 6 mo ago. It's been great until about 6 mo ago the brake started rubbing against the wheel when pushing it making an annoying noise and a bumpy ride. I figured my options were limited since I bought it used and had no warranty, but I contacted valco anyway. They were nice enough to send a new brake piece. Unfortunately, I had no way to put it on. I called a bike repair store asking if they could fix it for me and was told "sure, they fix anything with wheels" and it would be about $30. My nanny picked it up for me the next day and paid $40 as they "had to modify a part." Strange but fine.

Anyway, I come home from work to find: 1) they did not put on the new part or even give me the new part back. 2) they fixed the problem by grinding down the part of the brake that rubs against the wheel which was not what I asked them to do. And 3) they removed the white stroller lock clip that holds the stroller closed when its folded which I had never had a problem with or asked them to do anything to! My guess is they broke it when they were grinding down the parking brake so to try to cover their tracks they removed it entirely.

I called immediately and was told that the brake piece was riveted on and was impossible to replace. He basically said they fixed the rubbing so he couldn't understand the problem. I then brought up the stroller locking clip and he said it was broken when I brought it in (which it wasn't) and that he removed it as it was a design flaw which wasn't needed anyway since you carry the stroller by the handle. At this point I was frustrated and speechless on so many different levels.

I just don't know what to do. I'm traveling home by plane on Friday (like I now do every other weekend to visit my sick father and to help my mother)
and I need a safe working stroller for my 7 month old. I feel like I can't go to valco again because I don't even have a warranty and there won't be time to get it fixed anyway. I have to go to the bike shop to pick up the parts, but I don't even want to deal with the guy. Funny how he was so nice and accommodating when he wanted my business but he was the worlds biggest a** on the phone after I complained about my mangled stroller. He didn't even try to find a way to make it right. I don't even have the energy to fight with him, but if I did what should I ask for? My $40 back won't make it even as now my stroller won't stay closed when I folded which is just asking for the airline to further mangle it. Do I ask them to replace the stroller entirely? I know they won't.

I know it's just a stroller, but I have so much going on in my life right now I just don't have the money, time, and mental energy to deal. What do you think I should do? What do you think would be the path of least resistance? TIA...

BunnyBee
05-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Was that the owner? If not, talk to the owner. If yes, fax them a written letter stating the things as you laid them out. Find the price of a used stroller in the condition yours was in prior to their "fix" and demand that plus a refund of the price they charged you to mutilate your stroller.

Will a bungee cord hold it together on the plane?

I'm sorry. Such a PITA. :(

How's your local CL for strollers?

crl
05-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, you could tell the bike shop that you did not authorize the work they did, ask for your money back and request that they pay the cost of a new lock. You could also request the return of the lock, which might force him to admit if he broke it. You could point out that the explanation that the part can't be replaced makes no sense as the manufacture sent it to you for replacement purposes.

One possible strategy is to go in at a time you think they will be busy and to make sure to have the conversation in front of as many other customers as possible. That might encourage an amicable resolution. I am not sure this will work given his bad reaction on the phone. If not, you could also try a bad yelp review. Or the Better Business Bureau. Seems unlikely either route would solve the problem before you need the stroller.

I am sorry.

Catherine

Philly Mom
05-27-2013, 10:29 AM
You could always file a claim with small claims court or threaten to. He would be forced to hire a lawyer. It would be cheaper to buy you a new stroller.

crl
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
You could always file a claim with small claims court or threaten to. He would be forced to hire a lawyer. It would be cheaper to buy you a new stroller.

Usually lawyers aren't allowed in small claims court. And I imagine there must be a filing fee. I don't think you would come out ahead money wise this way and it would take awhile to resolve as well.

Catherine