PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink enough water?

gatorsmom
05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
I know there is some debate about how much water is enough. But I have noticed that when I actually do drink the 64oz per day, I feel better, I digest better, my skin is less dry and my lips are less often chapped.

The problems is that it takes a lot of effort to drink that much. And I have to make a lot of pit stops which as any busy mom knows, is REALLY inconvenient a lot of the time. I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruit throughout the day. But I've noticed that that just does not sufficiently replace the water I need.

Do you get enough water throughout the day? How do you do it without it being inconvenient?

rachelh
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I am so bad about drinking water - or anything for that matter! I could go the whole day with my cup of coffee. About six weeks ago I downloaded an app that reminds me to drink water and I can check off a "glass" every time I drink. It worked great, but the "novelty" of the app wore off. I need to get back into it.

crl
05-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I actually drink a ton and therefore have to go to the bathroom all the time. I am just in the habit because I am prone to UTIs and drinking a lot of water tends to prevent them for me. I drink water when I am cooking and I usually drink a whole BIG glass with lunch and dinner. I think if you can get in the habit you will find it easy to remember.

Catherine

ladysoapmaker
05-27-2013, 10:52 AM
On the weekends, I don't drink enough water. I get too distracted by the family. I'll wake up with a headache from dehydration. During the week, as long as I don't end up on the plant floor, I do get enough water. I have a 32oz water bottle I fill in the morning at work and try to finish by noon then I'll fill it again. and try to finish most of it off. I do count all the other liquids I get toward my daily requirements.

I've been working on doing getting enough but it is hard. (I lose weight when I get enough)

Jen

twowhat?
05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
I definitely don't drink enough water. Life makes it so inconvenient to do so...when I drink enough I have to pee every 30 min to an hour. 30 min is not even enough time to make it through a teleconference, much less a live meeting where I need to be there taking notes for 4-5 hours. I purposefully don't drink enough on the airplane so I don't have to climb over people to pee, or worry that I can't get up to pee during turbulence. It's really bad and really sad!

The only time I drank enough water was when I was pregnant and had a scare in L&D due to being dehydrated. I drank a TON, peed every 30 min (but always had a convenient excuse to need the frequent trips to the bathroom).

I guess what I need to do is drink enough water when I know that I can (no meetings scheduled, not traveling, etc.) But yeah, I hear all the PPs who note that with busy lives and busy kids, going to the bathroom is just such an inconvenience and I definitely think that impacts our motivation to drink enough water. Too bad we can't just wear diapers.

infomama
05-27-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't. I have to be alert about this due to the fact that I have a kidney stone. I got a free app that reminded me to drink more often but it got annoying. I found that having fluids (sparkling water) around helped big time.

StantonHyde
05-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes. I drink a gallon a day. I live in a high desert so if I don't drink I get headaches. I only drink about 2 quarts a day when I go back east. Yes I pee often but that's good for you. I put crystal lite in it and drink a quart all at once. Easier to do than refilling glasses. At work I have a quart water bottle that I use. I have a quart at breakfast, a quart in the late morning, one mid afternoon, and one around dinner time. I drink an additional quart if I exercise. So a gallon a day in winter and then 5-6 quarts a day in summer.

edurnemk
05-27-2013, 11:47 AM
I've always made a habit of drinking a lot of water. When I was working I'd always keep a stainless steel water bottle on my desk, I'd fill it up first thing in the morning and since it was right there beside my computer I just kept taking sips throughout the day.

As a SAHM it's harder and on days I don't drink enough I feel really bad, I get headaches, etc. So I make a point of drinking a glass of water or at least half a glass EVERY time I go into the kitchen. Wether I get a snack for DS, make breakfast, lunch or dinner, I walk in there, pour myself a glass, drink it and then do whatever I need to do.

I also keep a big water bottle on my nightstand and drink before bed, whenever I wake up during the night and as soon as I wake up in the morning. I always wake up thirsty so that one is easy.

Pennylane
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Nope, I only drink water when I exercise. At most I may drink 32 ounces a day.

Ann

BunnyBee
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
I always have an insulated bottle with ice water nearby. It helps to just take little sips during the day. When I'm not nursing, I'm not as good about it. Then I try to drink a whole bottle first thing in the morning and another at night (not too close to bedtime). That seems to help and it's convenient to pee then.

happymom
05-27-2013, 01:01 PM
For a while I was really working on it and was drinking 10-12 cups a day. But I had to pee about every half hour and I am a teacher so it's just not feasible! At first I thought if I gave it some time my body would adjust and I wouldn't have to pee as often. But after 2 months when it hasn't changed, I just gave up the water.

Pyrodjm
05-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes, but only because I decided a few months ago to ONLY drink water, unless I'm having the rare adult beverage.

123LuckyMom
05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I probably don't drink as much as I should, but I have two water bottles, one for upstairs and one for downstairs/out of the house. I drink from them throughout the day and make sure to refill them when they're empty. I also very rarely drink anything but water, and that really helps!

almostamom
05-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I drink at least 64 oz a day and usually more since we live in the desert. I'm a teacher, so I can't take a break whenever I want/need to. I start at 7:45, have a break around noon and the students leave at 3:15. There have been days when I will realize that I haven't gone to the restroom for 9-10 hours, but I'm still drinking a lot during the day. I'm at least inside the academic building now. The first 5 years I was teaching I was in a portable on the back field of our campus, so it was a long walk to even get to the main building and the restrooms, but I always had water on my desk that I was drinking all day long. I think my body is just knows it has got to "hold it" for a few hours.

brittone2
05-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Not lately. When I'm good about it I don't aim for 64 oz though, as I don't find that necessary for me.

anamika
05-27-2013, 04:17 PM
No - I am so lax about things. The water around here tasted pretty bad too. I am debating the pros and cons of adding something like Mio and drinking enough water vs not adding anything and drinking less water.
I tried the fruit thing and I loved the water but I cannot abide cold water from the fridge.

JustMe
05-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes, and I actually trying to decrease a little as I may be drinking too much. I had a kidney stone over 10 years ago and got scared into making sure I drink lots of water. However, I have to use the bathroom so much and last time my bloodwork was one below the normal range in something (I forget what, but can look it up if anyone may know anything) in which it is good to be low, but it indicates you drink a lot of water.

ZeeBaby
05-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I drink mostly water. I find that it is harder to get to 64 oz on the weekends. It is easier at work since I have water next to me at my desk at all times.

ArizonaGirl
05-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I drink mostly water. I find that it is harder to get to 64 oz on the weekends. It is easier at work since I have water next to me at my desk at all times.

:yeahthat:

AnnieW625
05-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Yes I drink enough water. I drink at least 6 cups a day, but most of the time I drink between 3 and 5 18 oz. glasses at my desk, plus at least another 18 oz. or so size glass at home, some nights I drink I drink two glasses. I aim to drink 32 oz. if I am at the gym for 75 to 90 minutes. For a shorter lunch time gym trip I drink about 16 oz. I always have a water bottle with me, esp. when I go shopping. On the weekends I aim for 3 to 5 18 oz. glasses of water as well. I do have to pee a lot, but I find it helpful.

mackmama
05-28-2013, 12:08 AM
My doc says people should drink half of their weight in water per day. So if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink at least 60 oz of water per day. I feel better, look better when I do this regularly.

Melaine
05-28-2013, 05:27 AM
No I definitely don't. I actually am convinced I have a tiny throat, I take really small sips and cannot "guzzle" to save my life. When pregnant I was supposed to drink a gallon a day and it was torture. It's hard to drink enough now because I really have to sit there to finish a glass of water.

ETA: When I worked at a desk, I found it much easier to stay hydrated. It's just hard carrying a baby around and drinking water.

wendibird22
05-28-2013, 08:48 AM
No I don't. I even have 2 water bottles sitting on my desk at work. I'll fill them up in the a.m. Sometimes I drink a full one (~20oz) and sometimes I'm lucky if I even take one sip. I definitely drink more if I flavor it with crystal light. I could honestly have my 1 cup of coffee with breakfast and a few sips of something with dinner and not notice that I haven't had anything else all day.

hellokitty
05-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I find that when I am at home all day, I drink much more water. When I am out and about, I am much worse about it. I usually carry around a water bottle, but I get busy and forget to drink water. For me, the biggest difference is that if I bulk up on drinking water in the morning, it really helps me the rest of the day. I notice on days where I don't drink enough, esp in the morning, by the afternoon, I'm feeling run down and tired and by the time I try to drink to, "catch up" on my water at that time, it's too late to make up for the lower energy.

ilfaith
05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I am terrible about drinking water. Often I will have my cup of coffee in the morning and by mid afternoon realize that not only have I not had another beverage of any kind since breakfast, but I haven't peed all day. I am probably better about drinking water in the summer, as I will actually feel thirsty and get a drink...and on the mornings I play tennis I'll drink more...but I am definitely one of those people who gets busy and then is suddenly famished or feeling dehydrated because I haven't had anything to eat or drink all day.

indigo99
05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
My lips get chapped within a day when I don't drink enough so it's really noticeable to me. Unfortunately it happens quite a bit but improves when I make a point of drinking more.

queenmama
05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
I definitely need to up my water, particularly with it getting hotter.

I recently read that water intake has no affect on skin. I've been looking into a new skincare regimen so I must've come across it on some beauty blog, sorry I don't have a specific reference!

Lara

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Nope, not even close. And I really need to increase my intake right now. But I have a small bladder to begin with and a long commute (not compatible), or I'm up hourly during the night to pee. Sigh.

egoldber
05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
No, I don't. But like many PP when I have increased the intake, I pee all day and I really just can't do that. Between meetings and a medium commute I'd be in trouble!

Momit
05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't drink enough water. I try to but find it so difficult. I just don't feel thirsty but I know I need to drink more. The only thing that helps is when I make a pitcher of water with mint, fruit, whatever - I will drink more of it than regular water.

hellokitty
05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't drink enough water. I try to but find it so difficult. I just don't feel thirsty but I know I need to drink more. The only thing that helps is when I make a pitcher of water with mint, fruit, whatever - I will drink more of it than regular water.

I like adding lemon or lime essential oils (you can't do this with all brands, I use doterra) to my water. It is so refreshing and helps me to drink more as well!

lizzywednesday
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
No, and I really ought to drink more because I get spacey when I don't.

Actually, I should really be hydrating today because I sang all weekend and I am feeling super-depleted and "hung over" but I only had a single beer.

SASM
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I am satisfied with the amount that I drink. I carry my water bottles everywhere and refill through the day. I make "pitstops" quite a often and note the light color (tmi) so I know I am on the right track. ;) I just feel better when I drink water. If I do not drink water, I will drink something else less healthy, which would most likely negatively affect my health/mood...so just keep on drinking water. :) I also bring my water bottles with me to refill my kids' water bottles...1 drinks a ton, the other 2 need work! Good luck, Lisa! :)

bisous
05-28-2013, 03:53 PM
I need so much water while pregnant. It makes me feel much better. Ordinarily, I most definitely do not drink enough, I"m sure.

Am I mistaken or is there some research that maybe we don't need as much water as "they" tell us we need? Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part!

BabbyO
05-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I think I do OK during the week unless I have a really crazy busy day. Weekends I'm terrible because I'm distracted by the family. It helps that I have a 1 hr commute so I drink almost 18 oz on the way to work, and then 18 oz on the way home from work....then I get about 24 or more during the day...so that is 60 oz, just before dinner.