PDA

View Full Version : Weird vision problem out of the blue

flashy09
05-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't know how to describe this quite right, but it's the second time it's happened in the 3 months. I suddenly get a weird, wavering, thick "line" (it's not spots..so hard to describe) in my vision and my eyes have that feeling of when you come in from bright light to low light where the pupil hasn't adjusted yet. It's very distracting and it's there when I close my eyes as well. It goes away in about 10-15 minutes. I am a bit of a worrier so not I am convinced I have a brain tumor or detached retina. Of course it's Memorial Day and I also have a horse running in a race today so really can't have anyone look at my eyes today. I don't know what I am looking for, I guess just some opinions on what could this could be and if very serious? I have had no other symptoms between last time it happened and today and it happened the first time before I was pregnant. I have normal blood pressure. Thank you!

So I googled a bit and think maybe it's a "scintillating scotoma" and I did have a very slight headache after. But no headache at all the first time. Not really convinced it's a migraine, no other symptoms of it. Looks very similar to the 3rd and 4th picture down shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma. Anything had anything like this?

Multimama
05-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Wavy lines at the edge of your vision can be a sign of a migraine. Migraines are usually accompanied by an awful headache, but I *think* they don't have to be. Migraines don't have to be serious. Some people get them throughout their lives and other than the discomfort of having them have no other problems. I would call your primary care physician tomorrow and see if they want you to follow up (with a neurologist or eye doctor, for example). If you are suffering from migraines I think there are some medications you shouldn't be on. (Birth control pills with estrogen come to mind.)

Here's a link to silent migraines. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_migraine)

megs4413
05-27-2013, 02:45 PM
migraines. i have these and the vision symptoms are sometimes all i get. i thought i was having a stroke the first time it happened to me.

crl
05-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Kind of sounds like the visual disturbances that can go with a migraine to me too. I would definitely get it checked out though. If it were me, I'd wait until tomorrow and probably call my OB's office.

Catherine

brittone2
05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Knock on wood, I don't get migraines anymore but when I did I had visual aura and ocular migraines I frequently did not have the headache, just the visual disturbance. For me, my entire periphery is like "starry" and I feel like my field of vision is very small and tunnel like.

My mom just had her first ocular migraine (no headache) and was so worried it was a stroke she went to the ER. They ruled it an ocular migraine and also figured out she has dry eye.

Get it checked, but wanted to share my experience. I know in high school the first time I got it was at an amusement park (was likely dehydrated, it was also very hot) and I swore I had a brain tumor or something really scary.

hope the race goes well!

Indianamom2
05-27-2013, 03:33 PM
migraines. i have these and the vision symptoms are sometimes all i get. i thought i was having a stroke the first time it happened to me.

I agree. I get these far too frequently for my liking. The pictures you linked to describe them quite well (for me) and they often stay like that for anywhere from 15-30 min. They do NOT always signal a painful migraine, though they certainly can.

I believe I had my first one when I was pregnant, though it's been years now. I thought I had a detatched retina as well, but it went away and ever since then I've had some pretty significant migraine issues, so I'm certain it is related.

You're pregnant, right? That alone causes an increase in migraines in a lucky few (myself included). Definitely run it past your OB, but my guess is it's "just" a migraine.

gatorsmom
05-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Yep, sounds like the aura that sometimes accompanies a migraine. I get migraines a lot but have only had about 6 auras in my life. I actually like getting the aura because I get it about an hour before the migraine shows up. It's a nice warning to take meds and stop the migraine from hitting full force.

But yeah, the first time I got an aura it freaked me out a bit too.

ezcc
05-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I get these occasionally too, and usually do not get a bad headache, sometimes a mild one though.

kdeunc
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
:yeahthat: Sometimes I only get the aura as well. With my pregnancy with DS2 I got them all of the time and they lasted exactly 20 minutes, no more, no less.

BabyBearsMom
05-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I had episodes like that when I was pg with both girls. Doctors kept an eye on my blood pressure but it was always fine. They thought it was just a side effect of all of the extra blood in my body when pg.

Radswd
05-27-2013, 08:09 PM
This happened to me 2weeks after I gave birth to my second child. I was worried & went to PCP for check. After a normal neurological exam he determined I had had my very first migraine. I only had a slight headache after the aura. He said most likely related to hormone fluctuations. I do recommend getting checked when you can as it was quick, easy, but most of all, reassuring :)

flashy09
05-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the reassurance! I was scared to check back in case everyone said I had a brain tumor. Will get my eyes checked this week and mention it to the opthamologist. I have family history of migraines (and macular degeneration, which is my other fear of what it could be) so that's likely and I have been under a ton of stress. This poor baby inside me is probably made of cortisol! Today was a good stress with the horse running, but my legs and hands were shaking and my heart pounding - I get so nervous!

mackmama
05-28-2013, 12:13 AM
I get similar symptoms, and it was diagnosed as a migraine. I don't usually get a headache. I thought I was having a stroke the first time it happened. It usually lasts about 20-30mins for me. My doc said I could take migraine meds (don't want to) or drink a caffeinated diet coke at the first signs of it. The caffeine restricts the blood vessels or something which helps mitigate the migraine. I drink the diet coke now when i first get any symptoms, and it seems to help. I've noticed that a certain type of overhead lighting brings on the migraine for me -- or a light through a fan (which makes the light sort of flicker).

crl
05-28-2013, 12:32 AM
I get similar symptoms, and it was diagnosed as a migraine. I don't usually get a headache. I thought I was having a stroke the first time it happened. It usually lasts about 20-30mins for me. My doc said I could take migraine meds (don't want to) or drink a caffeinated diet coke at the first signs of it. The caffeine restricts the blood vessels or something which helps mitigate the migraine. I drink the diet coke now when i first get any symptoms, and it seems to help. I've noticed that a certain type of overhead lighting brings on the migraine for me -- or a light through a fan (which makes the light sort of flicker).

I have the same issues with light. Caffeine usually gets rid of my migraines altogether, maybe because the only time I drink soda is when I get a migraine (I don't drink coffee or tea at all)

My other migraine triggers are red food coloring, hormones (old-style bcp) and exercise without warming up first.

I am super lucky and if I avoid my triggers I get maybe one or two migraines a year. I always get the visual disturbance first and if I start chugging right away caffeine reduces the migraine symptoms significantly for me.

Catherine