PDA

View Full Version : Oven cleaning help

twowhat?
05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I made this tonight:
http://weelicious.com/2008/06/09/cheesy-turkey-meatloaf-bites/

They are deelicious. But, I should've put a pan underneath to catch the drippings/moisture and now it's all burned black on the bottom of the oven:(

What's the best way to clean it? Run the self-cleaning cycle? How much smoke does that generate? It's already hot here so if I have to open the windows to ventilate, that would suck.

Zukini
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Yup, the self cleaning cycle will turn all that black oily stuff into crumbly ash and you can wipe it it out once it cools.

Check your oven manual but you should remove your oven racks before running the cycle (the high heat isn't good for them). The cycles are typically 3-4 hours long and will release a little fumes. Nothing too strong but I like to do it on a day when I can open a window near the kitchen for ventilation.

maybeebaby08
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I use the self cleaning cycle but during hot weather I don't. Sprinkle baking soda on it and then spray with vinegar and let it sit overnight, usually works for most things for me.

ETA: I clean with vinegar so the vinegar I use is a diluted 50/50 water/vinegar mix, not straight vinegar.

twowhat?
05-28-2013, 01:21 PM
I use the self cleaning cycle but during hot weather I don't. Sprinkle baking soda on it and then spray with vinegar and let it sit overnight, usually works for most things for me.

ETA: I clean with vinegar so the vinegar I use is a diluted 50/50 water/vinegar mix, not straight vinegar.

Thanks! This worked (I used straight vinegar). I did have to do 2 "treatments" because it was so thick that after the first treatment I needed to scrape off the softened top layer to allow another treatment of baking soda/vinegar to penetrate all the way through. But it softened everything enough for me to scrape it all off. Thank you!!!