PDA

View Full Version : Did ya'll already know about Upromise (5% "cash back")?

AngB
05-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I've seen Upromise stuff before but pretty much ignored it until last night I was setting up DS2 a 529 account and they gave me the option to link a UPromise account to it. Basically it works like Ebates except instead of giving you cash back it puts the money in a 529 account. You can link multiple accounts and split the money however you want between them.

Anyway, most online shopping is 5% back, including lots of BBB favorites including Diapers.com, Kohls, LE, Target, etc. (Most that are also Ebates places.) On almost every place I compared Ebates vs. Upromise, Upromise was giving more back. I'll still use Ebates if it's more, but I like this option to get even more back. (You can also get Upromise money back at some restaurants and gas stations.)

Daphnecita
05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I always forget to compare to ebates for online shopping, but I use it at publix for groceries.

baileygirl
05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I have 2 529 plans linked to upromise.

AngB
05-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I have 2 529 plans linked to upromise.

Thanks! I just figured this out after your comment, I'll edit the OP.

AngB
05-27-2013, 09:00 PM
I always forget to compare to ebates for online shopping, but I use it at publix for groceries.

Good deal! We don't have publix or participating grocery stores here. All the sites I checked, Upromise was currently higher (LE, BRU, Diapers.com), but pretty much everywhere online through them is currently 5% so if ebates is under the 5%, upromise is most likely giving you more money back.

Mommy_Mea
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I waited a long time to join upromise, because we didn't have a 529. When I finally did join, I discovered it didn't work with our 529, but, you can just get cash, you don't need a 529. And yes, 75% of the time, they have the best cash back. My Ebates use has declined significantly since joining upromise!

logan's mom
05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Upromise also offers cashback on Pottery Barn, PBK, PBTeen, WS...the whole family ;)
It's the only cashback offer I have found for these stores.

ETA: There are some realtors that offer a Upromise cashback too. We have never been able to get it because we are also corporate relocations and have to use a specific realtor, but worth looking into if you are buying/selling.

newnana
05-27-2013, 11:05 PM
We also used to have the grandparents cc's linked to DD's upromise account. She's the only grandkid on both sides and it was money they were spending anyway, so it's not like they were playing favorites or going out of their way to do this. They'd use their credit cards like normal and would get money for her account with their regular purchases like anything at brick and mortar bed bath and beyond or Eddie Bauer outlet.

They have since switched cards and many of the stores near them have closed, so it didn't make sense to keep it. Neither of them to online shopping, so that part would help, but every little bit counts!

jam224
05-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Yup, I shop through Upromise quite a bit! :thumbsup: I usually try to mention it in bargain threads when I do, in case anyone else has a Upromise account. Upromise is the only place that offers cash back on Container Store purchases too! ;)

specialp
05-28-2013, 07:56 AM
I have had one for a long time and really like it,but I do think you have to watch it to make sure your online purchases from some companies are posted. For whatever reason, Shutterfly purchases rarely post on my account without my prompting and I can think of a couple of large travel ones. It's no big deal and they fix it when you contact them, but just a heads up. Of course, it could be just my account.

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Yup, I do almost all of my online shopping through upromise. You can also withdraw in the form of a check if you prefer not to have it deposited into an account.

westwoodmom04
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Me too, we've earned several thousand dollars since we first signed up when dd was a baby.

justlyn
05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm using mine right now to help pay off my own student loans. Then I can set up 529s for the kids. I've found that Upromise almost always has a slightly higher % and they often have companies that aren't with Ebates or Big Crumbs.

queenmama
05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Wait, how does it work with Publix or other grocery stores?

Lara

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Wait, how does it work with Publix or other grocery stores?

Lara

You register your store club card with UPromise, and then you get money when you purchase certain brands (say, Pillsbury or GM).

Pinky
05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for posting about this... So, when you setup an account with Upromise, do you just give them your credit card numbers? Is that really all there is to it?

westwoodmom04
05-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for posting about this... So, when you setup an account with Upromise, do you just give them your credit card numbers? Is that really all there is to it?

It works best if you get one of their credit cards because then you get 5% back on everything you spend plus whatever percent you get back on online, gas and grocery purchase. However, I don't think you need to get their card, if you don't, you just use their site as gateway for online shopping and sign up your grocery club cards to your upromise account.

specialp
05-28-2013, 11:22 AM

To add to Westwoodmom, you install a pin on your browser so that anytime you are on a contributing partner's website (which is a lot), upromise will pop up and remind you to activate to receive cash back. I don't have the upromise credit card, just use my own and the pop up helps a ton.

Pinky
05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks ladies!

jennilynn
05-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes, thanks! I'd been using Mr. Rebates but I like this even better.