PDA

View Full Version : Low pulse rate in non-athletic woman?

JustMe
05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Anyone know anything about this? My pulse rate is 60. Now, I know normal starts at 60, but I am far from athletic. I am not in terrible shape, but definitely not athletic I walk everyday, but that is it for exercise for me...and I tend to be nervous in drs' offices. My blood pressure is normal, but will occasionally be high when I go to the dr (because I really get scared at dr's office).

Anyway, I am really not trying to come up with something to worry about, but my father had heart attacks with low blood pressure. I am generally very fatigued. I have had my thyroid tested (and even pushed for some other thyroid tests), but it is normal.

elektra
05-27-2013, 11:37 PM
I am not sure of the low pulse rate is a problem or what it may indicate.
I can say that I have always had low blood pressure and doctors have never been concerned since it is normal for me. But nurses often have to check twice and ask me about it. I think i have a slower pulse rate too. And I am not in good shape at all.

kristenk
05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
DH has been asked if he's an elite athlete b/c his pulse is so low. He's not. It's just very low. No one has expressed any concern about it.

speo
05-29-2013, 10:26 PM
DH has a very low heart rate. It is in the low 40s. It is crazy to listen too!! His grandfather had the same thing. I think they warned the hospital when he went for things as he got older. They were worried the nurses might think something was wrong because of the low rate. My DH got a heart work up awhile ago and the doctor said that the low rate was not a problem.

JustMe
05-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks so much. I guess its normal and nothing to worry about. It just bothers me because my father had the same thing and did have heart disease--had his first heart attack in his early 50's, but maybe the low heart rate was not relevant.

theriviera
05-29-2013, 11:18 PM
My low heart rate freaked out the nurses when I was in for a non stress test when I was pregnant with Dd1. The nurse asked me if I was a triathalete. I laughed as I was 40 weeks pregnant! And definitely not a triathelete before pregnancy.

It turns out that I have benign PVC's (premature ventricular contractions). I was asymptomatic. I was referred to a cardiologist but it was not a big deal. Totally went away when I gave birth.

The PVCs increased in frequency during my 2nd pregnancy and they never went away. I have them about 12% of the time which, while still benign, is bothersome to me. I take a beta blocker (or maybe it is a hypertension drug) to help.

Anyways, maybe that is what is going on with you? Do you ever feel like your chest tightens, or that your heart is racing? That is what it feels like for me.

citymama
05-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Another low pulse/low BP non-athlete here. :wavey:
If you are concerned, especially with a family history of early heart attacks, I would get a thorough physical exam, blood work, etc. If you haven't had one in a while, it can't hurt, and you can talk to your doctor about the low pulse and your concerns. But yes, in general I'm always told it's not a cause for concern, but your concerns seem to stem from family history as well so get a medical opinion!

marymoo86
05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
High BP/pulse rates are a concern I would think as that means your heart is working harder not lower?

daisymommy
05-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Low BP and low blood sugar together, or swings in blood sugar along with low BP are often indicators of diabetes. I have this and it worries me. Crazy since we are all trying to avoid high blood pressure and high blood sugar.

Low BP causes me to "brown out" when I stand up too quick (close to black out, my own silly phrase for the feeling).

Sent from my iPad