PDA

View Full Version : Eating organic... More chance of parasites?

Ilovegelato
05-28-2013, 03:40 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this? We eat a ton of organic produce and meats in our home and now I'm paranoid about my LO having a parasite. She's been complaining of a light belly ache. And in general, seems thinner. I went to my pediatrician this past week and he's first asked me to check my LO for lactose intolerances (by omitting and then reintroducing milk products). After that, to try a stool softener in case my daughter has constipation which is causing belly ache. I was asked to check in again in one month!

I don't think it's either. She's always eaten yogurt, milk, cheese without a problem. Daily. And she doesn't seem constipated -- she's very regular!

I really wanted a stool test, but was denied! Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac, but anyone out there experience worms from eating organic?

Where this all stemmed from-- my mother has told me parasites were common back in the day because most people ate organic anyway. There was just less pesticide use in general! Now that my family is eating more or less this way- I'm concerned!

pinkmomagain
05-28-2013, 06:11 AM
A parasite? I'm no expert, but I don't think they are all that common. I think your dr's recommendations on how to proceed are reasonable -- unless your dd is in severe pain and cannot do her usual activities. You can become lactose intolerant at any time, and it can affect people in different ways. The test for lactose intolerance is actually pretty easy. It could also be some other food intolerance...or celiac.

If it were me, I'd follow the dr's suggestions and if things didn't improve, I'd ask for a referral to a ped gi.

cilantromapuche
05-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Have you travelled anywhere she could have picked one up? That is the only time we have ever gotten them.

trcy
05-28-2013, 06:50 AM
I had an amoeba parasite when I was 4-5ish. The thought was I got it from a public swimming pool. My symptoms were rapid weight loss, extreme lethargy, and I had dark circles under my eyes. I have seen pictures and honestly, I looked like hell. It did pass on its own. I would think organic food would not cause more parasites. Insectacides kill insects, not worms. Plus, if you are cooking meat that should kill any parasites there. That being said, parasites are more common then we would like to think. Most are transfered via fecal oral. Pets, sandboxes (outdoor cats use them a litter boxes) and lots of other animals can carry and transmit parasites. IMO, fecal checks for parasites should be as common for people (especially children) as it is for pets.

queenmama
05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
I agree with PP. Parasites are super common. A nephew of mine was full of them when he was around 4. He was a grubby kid with nasty habits, though.

Lara

wellyes
05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
If your mother grew up in the 40s/50s/60s I don't think it was as organic as she thought, given the wide use of carcinogenic DDT as a pesticide on crops and feed!

hellokitty
05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
If she has parasites, organic food would not be the first culprit on my list, I think there would be many other better explanations than to blame it on organic food. I hope you figure out what is going on with your daughter. Have you tried a gluten free diet?

crl
05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
You say she seems thinner. Has she actually lost weight? Lots of kids shoot up in height and look thinner, but have actually gained weight.

Given what you describe, your doctor's thoughts about possible causes seem on target to me.

Catherine
ETA. And I don't think parasites come from not using pesticides. I think they typically come from living in places with sanitation issues.

Ilovegelato
05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I did a quick search online when the thought of parasites first entered my mind and let me tell you-- sometimes it's just not helpful. It probably elevated my fears more.

I will go ahead with the doctors orders to rule out intolerance and constipation and just go from there. I'm so used to my chubby baby, but she's also been very active with the warm weather, so that might also explain her looking thinner.

Thanks for calming this mama down!