PDA

View Full Version : Tech question - sending a text from an iPhone to a feature phone

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 10:04 AM
So...DH has been trying to tell me that if I send a text message from an iPhone to a feature phone, the text message will arrive on the feature phone as an MMS instead of an SMS. Thus, it would be charged at the higher MMS rate if the feature phone does not have a text message plan. Does anyone know if this is true?

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm probably the wrong person to ask but iPhone to iPhone use free iMessage. iPhone to non iPhone rates will depend on your texting plan.

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm probably the wrong person to ask but iPhone to iPhone use free iMessage. iPhone to non iPhone rates will depend on your texting plan.

Actually, this would be going from an iPhone to a feature phone (not a smart phone, but not a basic phone). The person has a text message plan, but that does not include MMS (picture and other multimedia messages). So, we want to know how a text message from an iphone will arrive on her phone...SMS (basic text) or MMS.

athompson
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
MMS...my phone does this and I end up getting charged three times what I would per message I receive from and iPhone.

TwoBees
05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
MMS...my phone does this and I end up getting charged three times what I would per message I receive from and iPhone.

Ugh. I was hoping DH was wrong. Do you know if there is a workaround to this?

athompson
05-28-2013, 01:42 PM
No idea, I just know I dread getting messages from iPhones because I have to download the message (takes longer) and it costs me more minutes. Sorry!

codex57
05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
That's bizarre.

The workaround I guess is for the iPhone person to turn off iMessage and force it to send via SMS only. However, that's a major pain and every iPhone user would have to do that who texted that feature phone.

athompson
05-28-2013, 02:43 PM
That's bizarre.

The workaround I guess is for the iPhone person to turn off iMessage and force it to send via SMS only. However, that's a major pain and every iPhone user would have to do that who texted that feature phone.

Very bizarre indeed and if I used my phone often (it lives in my car and I'm primarily a caller, not a texter) I would get an iPhone like everyone else.