PDA

View Full Version : Need wood blocks and lego set recs for trip

arivecchi
05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I am travelling with the boys soon and they have requested these toys to play with at our destination. The 4 year old loves the wood blocks they have at daycare and the 6 year old wants to start doing legos. Can anyone recommend some good starter sets that are appropriate for their ages?

elbenn
05-28-2013, 01:13 PM
These are pretty standard good wood blocks: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-60-Piece-Standard-Blocks/dp/B00008W72D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369760992&sr=8-1&keywords=wood+blocks

As for lego, it depends on what your DS likes. Whether he likes ninjas, cars and trucks, star wars, etc. will determine which sets are best. The lego brickmaster books are good because you can build several things for each book set.

arivecchi
05-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you! Guess I'll have to ask DS which kind of legos he wants.

LBW
05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
These are really great blocks for lego-loving kids. My 10-year old still plays with them every now and then.

http://www.novanatural.com/playing/blocks-and-stacking-toys/interlocking-blocks-322.html

baileygirl
05-28-2013, 04:56 PM
For Legos, I would get one of the blue boxes and a small set of something he is interested in (i.e. Chima, Ninjago, Star Wars, Super Heros). For Blocks the M&D set someone posted has been popular hear (we have that and Barclay blocks). I know some people who like building with jenga blocks, which might be easier for travel.

hellokitty
05-28-2013, 05:00 PM
For Legos, I would get one of the blue boxes and a small set of something he is interested in (i.e. Chima, Ninjago, Star Wars, Super Heros).

:yeahthat: If he is new to lego, keep it simple with a more generalized set. They can build what they want to build this way. Make sure whatever set you have has some wheels. If it doesn't have any, buy some extra ones from the lego store. My boys always fight over the wheels. Some extra of the large green plates would be nice too. The small sets with some of the lego ppl is good too.

Beth24
05-28-2013, 05:15 PM
At age 6 my boys really liked the Lego City sets...some of them seem to be less complicated and they can build all types of vehicles, gas stations, fire stations etc. we love kepla blocks which are all the same siize, but I'm not sure what your son uses at daycare...he may have a particular type he prefers.

maydaymommy
05-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Wooden unit blocks (the school kind) are great -- but HEAVY.

I highly recommend citi blocks. Both boys will like them. I think 100 may be enough for travelling, but if you can swing 200, do it.

For both Legos & blocks I suggest getting some people or action figures to incorporate. My boys often add guys, animals, and cars.