PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Fascitis questions

JustMe
05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
So, it appears I now have Plantar Fascitis. I've done some searching to read past threads, but have a couple of questions.

First of all-the backstory. I went hiking 3 weeks ago and there were some really steep stairs made out of rock. I had to do somewhat of a jump between 2 and my heel hurt. I ignored figured it would get better. I walk about 2 miles every day and kept doing that. It wasn't going away, and was getting worse. So yesterday, a holiday, I went to urgent care. The doctor diagnosed PF, recommended a store bought heel cuff, ice, and not doing any unnecessary walking.

Here are the questions
--the heel cuff hurts (I am wearing in both shoes). Do I keep wearing or does that mean its not right for me?
--is walking really bad for it? Its my only form of exercise and there is a lot of heart disease in my family.
--Would you go podiatrist or PT for more help? I think I caught this pretty early and since walking is so important to me, I'd like to try to do everything I can. A co-worker told me a podiatrist who prescribed custom heel cuffs helped her more than anything, but interested in BBB experiences!

thanks!

squimp
05-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I had it last fall year and I found that taking a break really helped. I did not do the heel cuff, so no advice there, but icing it definitely helped. I also happened to injure my ankle snowboarding so that forced me to take a break in Feb and March. I stopped running altogether for about 2 months, and then started easing back into running in April. It helped so much to stay off it. I also massaged my arch a lot and wore comfy shoes, I have high arches so my clogs were great. I would look into the PT, I didn't do it, but I bet it would help give you options. I found I could still do other exercise, like Zumba.

cilantromapuche
05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I think taking it easy is good but the best thing for me was to wear supportive shoes. No more flip flops, sandals, etc. Always wear socks.

Mrs.Skeeter
05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I would suggest rest, ice, and a regimen of anti-inflammatory medicines first. If you search for plantar fascitis there are some stretches that might help, but it just takes time. My DH is a runner and was forced to take 6 months off so that his PF could adequately heal. However, if you just tweaked it you may feel better after the initial inflammation goes away.

Kindra178
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
What helped my husband more than anything was wearing NB sneakers in the house at all times. He keeps an inside pair and a pair for running. He also got a couple of sessions of physical therapy, which taught him same basic exercises (like rolling your heel over a water bottle, back and forth and stretching with a thermaband). He also wears store bought inserts in all shoes by a brand called Happy Feet (I think). He buys them at a specialized running store, but they are available tons of places.

StantonHyde
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Don't take a step without shoes on. I wear my ugly Birkenstocks around the house--my slippers--even in the winter with socks. I wear Danskos in the winter and Chaco sandals in the summer.

I don't know about heel cups--orthotics are important. Make sure you have them in your walking shoes and hiking boots. I use Power Step. You can get them at a running store.

I would go to a PT but that's just me.

You can always try swimming--that kicks my behind!

lucybabymamma
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Had it and still struggle to keep it at bay, and the causes are different for every person, but here's what has and hasn't worked for me over the past year:
Did not work -- rest alone, cortisone shots (relieves pain but only temporarily)
Does work -- inserts and supportive shoes, icing with frozen water bottle, hot bath/showers/hot tub then stretching calves and soleus, rolling your feet and calves (both soleus and calf muscles) with lacrosse ball and/or trigger point therapy roller then stretching, dry needling, wearing brace at night

Once the pain is relieved you still must roll your calves and feet regularly and wear inserts to prevent it from coming back.....

o_mom
05-28-2013, 07:31 PM
I had it very bad for years. It actually got better with pregnancy (relaxed tendons?).

What helps keep it at bay:

Supportive shoes - Crocs, birks, good tennis shoes. I actually need new tennis shoes because the ones I have make it so much worse. I have three pair of shoes I can wear for long periods without it being an issue. The crocs and birks are two of them, lol.

Keeping my calves stretched - It helps keep the 'relaxed' position of my foot from being in such an arch shortening position.

Putting a pillow under the covers at night - I keep a pool noodle and/or a pillow under the covers at the foot of the bed. It keeps the covers from weighing down and putting my feet in that same short arch position (think pointed toes).

sidmand
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Had it and still struggle to keep it at bay, and the causes are different for every person, but here's what has and hasn't worked for me over the past year:
Did not work -- rest alone, cortisone shots (relieves pain but only temporarily)
Does work -- inserts and supportive shoes, icing with frozen water bottle, hot bath/showers/hot tub then stretching calves and soleus, rolling your feet and calves (both soleus and calf muscles) with lacrosse ball and/or trigger point therapy roller then stretching, dry needling

Once the pain is relieved you still must roll your calves and feet regularly and wear inserts to prevent it from coming back.....
:yeahthat:

The first time mine was so bad and chronic that I had PRP therapy for it (that was instead of surgery). The second time I was (luckily!) able to "fix" it by rolling a golf ball under my foot as much as I could handle and then icing with either a frozen water bottle or sometimes just an ice pack. I stretched every morning and got better orthotic insoles for my sneakers and so far, so good.

ShanaMama
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I had it for a long time & custom orthotics really helped me. I held off for a long time because of the cost but when I finally went they were mostly covered BBY insurance. If you walk that much it's something to consider. There are also stretches you can do, & ideally I think you should stretch before walking.

StantonHyde
05-28-2013, 10:28 PM
One more item--I would totally have a regular doctor check it out. Urgent/instacare is not always the best.

chozen
05-28-2013, 11:02 PM
I had it for over a yr. went to two foot drs. Tried the stretching, insoles, laser treatment, new shoes etc. etc. What I think helped me the most was to keep my foot wrapped and wearing a arch support type of ace bandage, I bought the arch support from walmart for around $3.00. I had to stay off my foot as much as possible, honestly my foot began hurting so badly I had know choice but to stay off of it when I could. Take it easy!

Jen841
05-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Order Orthoheels ASAP, they are priceless. I wear mine from QVC all around the house. I got some from Totsy too.

I have PF. I do exercises, take Advil when it flares up and take it easy as needed and I am registered for my third 3 day walk.

Don't wear flat flats! Sme sort of a heel/wedge is priceless.

JustMe
05-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I am reading everyone's responses and trying to figure out waht to do.

One more item--I would totally have a regular doctor check it out. Urgent/instacare is not always the best.

Anything in particular I would want from a regular doctor? I did not know anything about PF before I went to urgent care, but now I am pretty sure it is PF just from the fact that it hurts the most in the morning, when I am sitting for long periods of time, etc.

mikala
05-28-2013, 11:37 PM
If it is indeed pf you may also want to check out this website for shoe suggestions :
http://www.barkingdogshoes.com/newshoe/2013/04/stylish-shoes-for-plantar-fasciitis.html

scriptkitten
05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
I ran a half marathon this weekend and I'm a dancer. I have a pretty serious case of it in one foot.

You just have to figure out how to manage it.

Lots of calf stretching and massage is essential. Get a "rubz" foot massage ball off amazon. Roll your arch on a frozen water bottle. Alleve. Wear good shoes in the house.

It's lousy, I know.

khalloc
05-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Birkenstock sandals and a night splint saved me from Plantar Fasciitis. I would highly recommend Birkenstocks and even a night splint if you can swing it. I bought one for under $20 on Amazon. It was uncomfortable to sleep it, but it really helped.

JustMe
05-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much for all the responses. Wow, people have had luck with such different things its hard to know what to do.

I have been doing the iced water bottle exercises and stretching my calf (toes towards me) in bed and it feels pretty good this morning. I did not do my walk yesterday (my daily exercise), and am not sure how long I will abstain from that.

Does anyone fall into the category of having flat, wide feet? Asking b/c that is my situation and I'm figuring what would help me would be most like others who have the same. I don't have the arch for some of the shoes mentioned. Thanks!

khalloc
05-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I have wide feet. Thats why Birkenstocks have fit me really well. They are almost too wide! I dont know that I have flat feet, but I was told that my arches are falling. And I guess this happens when you get older, and I am only 35.

Jen841
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Orthoheel special today. I wear them around the house... And everywhere else. Doing my best to keep my PF feet 3 Day Walk ready. 500 plus training miles needed.

Jen841
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Forgot link http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=460530

JustMe
06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting!

Interestingly, I am not getting them as the deal of the day either.

That actually may be a good thing for me. I have decided to go to a podiatrist, as I feel like for my insurance co-pay I might as well have some input into what might work best for me. My appt is Tuesday.