PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a speech evaluation for a preschooler?

Dream
05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
DD's stutter doesn't seem to be going away, she's almost 5 and some days its not so much but some days its really bad. She's aged out from Early Intervention since she's over 3 years. Her pediatrician deals with an agency but that's only for early intervention and his office doesn't know who to refer me to.

Who should I go to for an evaluation?

ang79
05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I went through our local Intermediate Unit (I'm in PA) for DD2's eval when she was 3.5. They do both the early intervention via home visits for up to age 3, and then services in a center for older kids. Not sure if there is something similar for where you live? Will she be starting K in the fall? If so, maybe contacting the school district for an eval.

AngB
05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I think it would be your local public school district.

wellyes
05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Yes, call the local public school. We go to a private preschool and the director there urged me to call the public school when DD needed an evaluation. We got an appointment for two weeks later. The evaluation lasted about an hour. It was free.

ett
05-28-2013, 05:13 PM
The public school does evals after age 3 which would be free. Or you can contact your insurance company to find a speech therapist that is in your network. I'm surprised your ped. couldn't recommended anyone.

codex57
05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
The public school does evals after age 3 which would be free. Or you can contact your insurance company to find a speech therapist that is in your network. I'm surprised your ped. couldn't recommended anyone.

Certain companies actively discourage their PCPs from doing so. It took a law change before it happened in CA.

s7714
05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Our EI program is directly connected to our school district, so after the age of 3 the school district does assessments. I'd call your school district, especially since your DC is closer to school age vs. preschool age.

crl
05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes, contact the school district. For us the correct office was called Child Find. Or you can go private, coverage is usually limited so be careful to figure out the rules in advance.

Catherine

niccig
05-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Another option - See if a university has a SLP program and if they have clinic specializing in fluency. My college does and our professor has ASHA speciality in stuttering, she is a person that stutters ( wouldn't know as she uses techniques unless know what listening for). She also has a private practice. If I had a child who stutters she would be my choice. I'm really glad I got the chance to learn from her as I know I'll be a much better clinician to work with people who stutter.

Simon
05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Everyone has been correct, it goes to the SD after EI. However, the SD is only required to offer services if it has a significant impact on learning, in their opinion. Often it must be a much more significant problem to qualify for services than would be addressed by EI. Also, around here, they only do evaluations Sept-May so it would take 3-4 months to even get seen. So, all that said, I would start seeking out alternatives in your area. I know we have University options but also several private companies (with SLP, OT, PT) who have services.

Seitvonzu
05-28-2013, 09:45 PM
i sought out a private person for my daughter when i had worries about her articulation. i could have gone the school route, but chose private because we're so close to kindy and for some reason i got paranoid about "labeling."(my hang up, i'm sure)

after much finagling i did get insurance to pay for it, but it wasn't without great effort and coordination between myself and the SLP. it was causing my daughter a good deal of frustration and that frustration allowed the SLP to code it differently.

apparently my daughter would IN NO WAY have qualified for school district support..(the SLP came out and told me that her scores in most everything were extremely high, except her articulation was "average").my IMHO she really needed the speech therapy (the therapist agreed, and we went 2 times a week for a while before dropping down to once a week and then every other week)

honestly, if we weren't recently "graduated" (and if i didn't think i pushed my luck as it was) i might put DD back in for a couple refreshers before the fall....oh well :)

Dream
05-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction. I will contact her insurance to see whether we can go the private route. I think the insurance covers if its within the network. If that fails I'll contact the school district.

American institute for stuttering in NYC doesn't accept any insurance, they charge $625 for the evaluation and after that its $175 for 1hr so it's expensive if the insurance doesn't cover.

ahisma
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
My DS received services for stuttering through the school district. We started when he was 4, he got services for a full year before starting pre-K. They continued while he was in pre-K under a renewed IEP. At the beginning of his K year we decided not to renew the IEP, per the recommendation of the speech therapist.

When they did the initial eval they screened for fluency (stuttering) and articulation. He did fine on the articulation, his only issue was fluency. He was right on the cusp, but we decided to follow through with services because he had a family history and had been stuttering pretty consistently for about 15 months at that point. They didn't balk at all about qualifying him.

ETA: The core difference with services after age 3 is that you take the child to the school district location (for us, it was an elementary school) for the therapy sessions. Prior to age 3 they come to you for a home visit.

crl
05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Just FYI if you get it though the school district it will be completely free. Through insurance you will probably still be paying some out of pocket. Personally I would start with the school district and only go private if she doesn't qualify or you feel it it taking too long to determine or if you are not satisfied with the services.

I really, really, really don't think a speech label will affect her at all. Ds had an IEP for developmental delays and received quite a lot of services for preschool and into first grade and I do not feel that it has presented any problems for him.

Catherine

Dream
05-29-2013, 05:46 AM
My DS received services for stuttering through the school district. We started when he was 4, he got services for a full year before starting pre-K. They continued while he was in pre-K under a renewed IEP. At the beginning of his K year we decided not to renew the IEP, per the recommendation of the speech therapist.

When they did the initial eval they screened for fluency (stuttering) and articulation. He did fine on the articulation, his only issue was fluency. He was right on the cusp, but we decided to follow through with services because he had a family history and had been stuttering pretty consistently for about 15 months at that point. They didn't balk at all about qualifying him.

ETA: The core difference with services after age 3 is that you take the child to the school district location (for us, it was an elementary school) for the therapy sessions. Prior to age 3 they come to you for a home visit.

If you don't mind me asking, did it help your son?

AngelaS
05-29-2013, 07:36 AM
We had my dd evaluated thru the school district right before she turned three. We then went to the local school twice a week for 30 minute sessions with the speech pathologist. We did that for two years. The third year we had once a week 45 minute sessions. By the end of that year she was on track for where she needed to be and graduated from therapy. :)