PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk Father's Day gifts?

cookiemonster80
05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
DH is so hard to buy for but I feel obligated to buy him something for father's day as he always gets me something nice for mothers day- although I wish he wouldn't. He doesn't have time for hobbies or reading, he likes gadgets but doesn't need anything. I've done the pictures of the kids thing already and we are trying to declutter to sell the house anyway- I'm fresh out of ideas- what are you doing??

candaceb
05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm planning a family outing that we will all enjoy. DH's birthday is a week before Father's Day so it is hard to come up with 2 things in a row. He set the bar really low for Mother's Day (I actually haven't even gotten my gift yet but they supposedly went and made me a mug at a pottery painting place) so I don't feel the need to stress myself out over it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Bought mine a fire pit from LL Bean. I think we will all enjoy it together.

happymom
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
How about a magazine subscription? DH is also really hard to buy for but he loved his subscription to "This Old House" (he is very handy and loves to renovate our home in his spare time...)

crl
05-29-2013, 12:25 AM
I am planning to get dh a raspberry bush. :).

Catherine

Tenasparkl
05-29-2013, 12:28 AM
My DD asked me to order him a Super Mario hat (and I did). I think I'll get him a fit bit since he seems very interested in mine.

fedoragirl
05-29-2013, 03:53 AM
A sodastream. That's all I can think of and he may just like it. He's the only one who drinks soda in the house so I figured that'll be a nice gift. Not that he needs it.

GvilleGirl
05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
He wants a tervis cup, blueray player, or the pocket hose. The pocket hose gets awful reviews on amazon so that is out. I probably will do replacement Daddy letters for his frame.

anonomom
05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
I was going to buy DH a Big Green Egg because he wants a new grill. Then I saw how much they cost and I'm back to the drawing board...

Fedoragirl, I bought my DH a Sodastream several years ago for Father's Day. It was a huge hit.

Mommy_Mea
05-29-2013, 08:12 AM
We don't usually do gifts for Father's Day, but I do take fresh "DAD" photos for the frame. Also, I typically plan a fun day, doing something special, like a new museum we haven't visited, or an IMAX show. Or even a new playground/park with a picnic. Just a fun experience :)

SASM
05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
I just noticed where you live...I am buying DH a very good bourbon. :) Also a 1500pc Ravensburger puzzle and Stephen Colbert's newest e-book. Combination birthday/Father's Day gifts bc he will actually be home in between the 2 dates. You have some great suggestions. We are also in the process of moving...trying to keep clutter down. I know he'll appreciate the bourbon. ;)

zukeypur
05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
I was going to buy DH a Big Green Egg because he wants a new grill. Then I saw how much they cost and I'm back to the drawing board...

Fedoragirl, I bought my DH a Sodastream several years ago for Father's Day. It was a huge hit.

The Egg is worth EVERY PENNY. We use it almost every day.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I probably will do replacement Daddy letters for his frame.

:yeahthat:

this is what i do for DH every year. he loves it!

TwinFoxes
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
I think I'll get him a hammock. And yes, I think I've posted that every year...I always get something else!

wendibird22
05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Updating the DADDY pics and bought him this Coleman lantern: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001150-LED-Quad-Lantern/dp/B001TS71NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369831607&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+lantern

We are planning to tent camp with the girls this summer so I figured it would come in handy.

sunshine873
05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
We're going low-key this year. DH & DD have a special Star Wars obsession going on together, so I bought this book for him:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vaders-Little-Princess/dp/1452118698/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

I bought him Darth Vader & Son last year after hearing about it here. He absolutely loved it & now, "Luke, I am your father" is one of DDs favorite quotes. ;) This one should really put him over the top (little princess and all.)

buddyleebaby
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
DH wants a new wire brush for the BBQ and an updated dog tag necklace. The one he has now is missing a child.

arivecchi
05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
I think I'll get him a hammock. And yes, I think I've posted that every year...I always get something else!:yeahthat: Hammock from llbean and probably a mantel clock for his study.

JanBaby
05-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Not one but two travel coffee mugs because he is always stealing mine, a rash guard and maybe a weather station because he asks me what the weather will be like just about every day. Hmmm ... the theme this year seems to be gifts that make my life easier.

cookiemonster80
05-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Updating the DADDY pics and bought him this Coleman lantern: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001150-LED-Quad-Lantern/dp/B001TS71NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369831607&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+lantern

We are planning to tent camp with the girls this summer so I figured it would come in handy.

We have this and DH loves it- awesome gift!

BabbyO
05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Not one but two travel coffee mugs because he is always stealing mine, a rash guard and maybe a weather station because he asks me what the weather will be like just about every day. Hmmm ... the theme this year seems to be gifts that make my life easier.

:hysterical: Ok seriously - this is awesome!

I'm another with B-Day and Father's day days apart every year, then throw in that our anniversary is today - that is 3 gifts in about a month! I might do a meal planner or something of the like since DH does all the cooking - he loves it - but has been kinda stressed with trying to come up with new ideas, and the kids seem to be getting pickier. I got him The Hobbit for our anniversary....

jennilynn
05-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I ordered DH this (http://www.target.com/p/vader-numero-uno-men-s-graphic-tee-blue/-/A-14575264#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=vader) Darth Vader shirt :) My boys are obsessed with Star Wars and will love giving it to him. DH is uber cheap and would rather we not spend any $$ on gifts but I always like to do a little something.

BabyBearsMom
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I got DH a logitech keyboard for his iPad and a set of personalized collar stays from the girls from Etsy.

Tenasparkl
05-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I ordered DH this (http://www.target.com/p/vader-numero-uno-men-s-graphic-tee-blue/-/A-14575264#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=vader) Darth Vader shirt :) My boys are obsessed with Star Wars and will love giving it to him. DH is uber cheap and would rather we not spend any $$ on gifts but I always like to do a little something.

This is great! I may have to buy that too.

oneontheway
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
We have this and DH loves it- awesome gift!

Is Amazon the best deal for the latern. I think DH would like it too. Thanks.

jam224
06-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks for mentioning this shirt! I picked one up this weekend! :D

DH is getting that shirt, plus a Superman "Man of Steel" shirt (also from Target). I already promised him he could go see the new Superman movie, which premieres this weekend and that's all he said he wants. But I've got a surprise up my sleeve: he's also getting tickets to see the Mythbusters, who are coming to town in a couple of weeks. I'm super excited to give him everything! :boogie:

And I gotta say, I was feeling a little worried that I wouldn't be able to come up with anything fun or impressive, considering DH got me an iPad for Mother's Day! :p

cvanbrunt
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
He needs stuff like a hole in the head. The man loves reuben sandwiches so I ordered this
http://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=G-SHE

mom2khj
06-11-2013, 09:05 AM
A nicer pair of sunglasses. Not a super-pricey pair, because he's prone to losing them. But nicer than his current, broken, $5 pair from WalMart.

Another idea I had is a bluetooth portable speaker, looking at the JVC Charge right now. I may just get that anyways, as it would really be for the whole family.

AnnieW625
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
DH is getting some digi camo. floor mats ($50 including shipping) for his car as he is always complaining about it not being manly enough. I was thinking of buying him the LL Bean fire pit as well, but that is 3 times what we usually spend for Fathers/Mothers Day and I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable that I spent that much money.

jam224
06-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Another idea I had is a bluetooth portable speaker, looking at the JVC Charge right now. I may just get that anyways, as it would really be for the whole family.

Do you have a Kohl's card? I just bought this bluetooth speaker in-store over the weekend: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1098198/hmdx-jam-bluetooth-speaker.jsp. It has really good reviews on Amazon and with the 30% off, it ended up being about $10 cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/HMDX-HX-P230PU-Classic-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B007R6HUDK/. Plus, Kohl's has a really good return policy.

hillview
06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
he wants sweat bands (go figure), I am making a steak dinner on the grill. Aside from that I need to get my act together.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
He usually requests a Fudgie the Whale cake from Carvel.

If you don't know what this is, you didn't grow up in the NY-NJ-CT area during the 70s and 80s and it's hard to describe exactly why Fudgie holds such a sacrosanct place in my DH's affection.

I typically order it a couple weeks out, but they will fill orders made only a couple days in advance, so I should probably call this week.

ETA: This is the commercial we grew up seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6ki8D7zQA

mom2khj
06-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Do you have a Kohl's card? I just bought this bluetooth speaker in-store over the weekend: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1098198/hmdx-jam-bluetooth-speaker.jsp. It has really good reviews on Amazon and with the 30% off, it ended up being about $10 cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/HMDX-HX-P230PU-Classic-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B007R6HUDK/. Plus, Kohl's has a really good return policy.

I do! I'll check it out. Thanks!

almostmom
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I will hopefully update some Dad pictures, print out some nice recent ones of him with the kids, and I ordered him a spice rub set from an etsy seller for grilling.

I also started a father's day scrapbook of sorts years ago. It's an artsy looking book with paper bag colored pages. Every year I trace the kids hands and feet, but in some words about what they're doing lately, and tape in some recent pictures. He always forgets about it until we present it to him and it's a great memory book as well (I don't do any other scrapbooking - I'm not really that sentimental!).

liz
06-11-2013, 09:54 AM
gosh, I am so behind on thinking about father's day presents!

DH finally got around to replacing his cell phone this weekend because his old phone was dying. He hates spending money, so back in February I told him the new phone was a valentines present to entice him to get it earlier- so I guess technically the phone is a valentines present and not a fathers's day present lol. He just bought a new cover and screen protector yesterday, so that's out. Maybe I will give him $ to spend in the google play store to buy some fun apps. Any other ideas for phone accessories?

He also needs new sunglasses but that is hard because he will actually have to come with me to try it on, and boy does he hate shopping.

oh, and I will make a nice dinner of his choosing.

ETA, I may have to try and make the DAD pictures this year....I guess Michael's store is on my list of errands today :tongue5:

jam224
06-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I do! I'll check it out. Thanks!

They were on the end-cap of a display in the aisle between the shoes and menswear/small kitchen appliances (with other tech-y type stuff). Probably easy to overlook, so I thought it might help to know where to look! :)

okinawama
06-11-2013, 11:04 AM
The gift he likes most is me taking the kids out of the house and he sleeps in as late as he wants. I also got him a display case for some military coins he has.

anamika
06-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Dh and DD have made up their own superhero with superpowers so I am making matching capes for them - complete with logo/symbol designed by DD. DH hasn't seen the design yet. The whole thing will be a surprise for him.
I think he will love it - I can just see them running around fighting supervillians! Probably me :)

boolady
06-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Love it. DH grew up loving Carvel cakes, too. Maybe I'll steal your idea!

elbenn
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Regarding the Big Green Egg someone mentioned, there were some very similar green egg grill things at my Costco that were much cheaper than the actual Big Green Egg. You might check your Costco.

Twoboos
06-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Love it. DH grew up loving Carvel cakes, too. Maybe I'll steal your idea!

Don't forget Fudgie's friend, Cookie Puss. (Of course my friends and I would always add a -y onto the end of that and kill ourselves laughing. :rotflmao:)

Tondi G
06-11-2013, 05:26 PM
A nicer pair of sunglasses. Not a super-pricey pair, because he's prone to losing them. But nicer than his current, broken, $5 pair from WalMart.

Not sure how much you want to spend but my soon to be BIL has the Jambone big Jam box and it is a great speaker. We were just at Costco and they had the smaller one for a good price, I think $120.

http://www.amazon.com/Jawbone-JAMBOX-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B004E10KII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370985885&sr=8-1&keywords=jambone+jambox+speaker