PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose DD2

rachelh
05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
DD2 wakes up a few times a week crying in pain that the sole of her foot hurts - almost on the heel. She makes me massage it and eventually falls back asleep. But this can happen 4-5 nights and DD usually winds up in bed with us after which makes it impossible for me to sleep. It has been going on a for a while, got better at some point, and then recently started up again. We brought her to the pediatrician but he really did not have any suggestions or advice. He said we can bring her to an orthopedist but it was more in passing because he didn’t seem to think that there was something actually wrong. Anyone have any idea what this can be?

123LuckyMom
05-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Plantar fasciitis? I would take her to an orthopedist for sure. Better yet, do you have an osteopath nearby? I definitely wouldn't dismiss this. She may need to see a physical therapist or someone who can teach her stretches to do or something. I wouldn't ignore a pain like this, though. Someone other than your regular ped. will know how to help.

trales
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
No matter what it is, it is really impacting her life, therefore I would keep seeing people until it is figured out and if not fixed, managed. Try the orthopedist, you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

rachelh
05-29-2013, 12:57 PM
The crazy thing is that she is super active and never says a word about it during the day!

Part of me is a little embarrassed because I am basically sleeping and in a daze, I am unsure of which foot it is! I think it is the right, DH thinks it is the left. :bag

hillview
05-29-2013, 01:14 PM
The crazy thing is that she is super active and never says a word about it during the day!

Part of me is a little embarrassed because I am basically sleeping and in a daze, I am unsure of which foot it is! I think it is the right, DH thinks it is the left. :bag
yeah I can see that being me. Put a sharpie next to her bed and mark her foot at night next time it happens :)

♥ms.pacman♥
05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
wow, coincidentally, DS (about same age as your dd2) woke up at 4am this morning complaining of the same exact thing. luckily i can sleep pretty well with him in our bed. in the last few months, he's complained of this 3-4 times before, always in the middle of the night.... he complains one of his feet really hurts and is oftne waking up every half hour or so complaining about it and asking me to massage it. i can't keep track of which one either. :bag i always assumed it was growing pains...i remember having horrible leg pains around age 4-5.

pinkmomagain
05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
As someone who was recently dxd with PF (though I have pain more towards the ball of my foot rather than the heel, the nighttime/morning pain can be awful! I thought I broke something until I went to the podiatrist. He gave me stretches to do that help immensely.