PDA

View Full Version : How often do you service your A/C?

oneontheway
05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
And where are you located? We are in the NE and put in a new unit about 3 or 4 years ago and have yet to have it serviced. Although we have our oil heater serviced annually. I'm just wondering if it is worth the cost.

meggie t
05-30-2013, 09:23 AM
We just moved to the NE and have central air for the first time as homeowners. We were told by friends to have it serviced annually, just like your heater. We just had ours serviced last week. Cost was $109. To me it's worth the peace of mind to know its running properly.

pastrygirl
05-30-2013, 09:26 AM
We had ours serviced for the first time after 10 years. We had no idea that we needed regular maintenance, until the A/C broke last summer because mice were living in it. We signed up for a maintenance contract, because we don't ever want it to break again!

ZeeBaby
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Oops totally didn't know we were supposed to get it serviced. I guess we have to schedule service.

AngB
05-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Uh, never?
It's working fine.
We've never done anything with our heater either.

specialp
05-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Every year. We've replaced one of our two air conditioners and as expensive as those things are, we try to take care of them.

KLD313
05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I used to work at an HVAC company and you really need to service them annually. If the drain gets plugged and you don't have a float switch in your drain pan you will have a flood. Also, some units don't have drain pans at all (not good!). Are you at least changing the filters? Plugged filters are very bad also.

ETA: I'm in the NE

georgiegirl
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Every year. They were supposed to come today, but the technician we like is out sick. We have geothermal units, and those can be very pricey to fix if not properly maintained.

Nooknookmom
05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
DH isn't good on maintaining much! Guess we grew up different my Dad is BIG on keeping everything maintained....

I have a huge fear of fires (had one has a kid) & get the furnace looked at before every season. I need to get the AC a checkup too it's been about 3 yrs.

Binkandabee
05-30-2013, 11:19 AM
We have an annual contract and get the a/c and the furnace serviced yearly. We live in Oklahoma and you REALLY don't want to be without A/C here in the summer.

BunnyBee
05-30-2013, 11:31 AM
The HVAC company comes out 2x a year to service both heat and air. We'd never remember to scrub the coils or spend the time to figure out what we're supposed to do, and one unit is deep in the attic. I can tell a difference immediately after it's been done. We have three zones to the house, so three sets of equipment, and that's a chunk of change to ignore. I think of it as getting the cars' oil changed. When something does malfunction, the company comes out immediately to fix it. No after hours charges are part of the maintenance contract. The company is owned by family friends and is reputable.

marymoo86
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
We have a contract to service the ac/heat yearly per season - ours is a packaged unit. I believe it voids any warranty if the coils/unit is found to be dirty as well. We do this to keep it running in top condition and ensure we can do any preventative measures before it breaks. It is part of the maintenance contract.

HonoluluMom
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM
I live in Hawaii and have a central air system. I get it serviced annually.

lil_acorn
05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
For those in MA (if any), who do you use for servicing your AC system?

wendibird22
05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Live in NY and have the ac and furnace serviced yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

urquie
05-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Just scheduled both, before reading this thread. :-). It's been 5-6 years.

indigo99
05-30-2013, 09:56 PM
We just paid over $600 today to have ours repaired. We noticed it was broken THE DAY the warranty expired! I'm so mad about that. It had a leaky pipe that let all the coolant escape so it had to actually break BEFORE the warranty expired, but it was a weekend when we noticed. Then we called and waited a day for them to come yada yada. We do have them come and check out the heat/air twice a year, and the unit is only three years old but needed the whole coiling unit replaced. I would not buy another Trane unit.

KLD313
05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
We just paid over $600 today to have ours repaired. We noticed it was broken THE DAY the warranty expired! I'm so mad about that. It had a leaky pipe that let all the coolant escape so it had to actually break BEFORE the warranty expired, but it was a weekend when we noticed. Then we called and waited a day for them to come yada yada. We do have them come and check out the heat/air twice a year, and the unit is only three years old but needed the whole coiling unit replaced. I would not buy another Trane unit.

I'm surprised they won't do something since it was just out of warranty. Oh and I totally agree about Trane, you cant repair aluminum coils like they have, most units have copper.