PDA

View Full Version : So Upset and Confused About Birth Control Options

Binkandabee
05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I had an appointment yesterday with my regular ob/gyn to get a Paragard and my Dr. suggested I think about my options some more before committing to anything :(

He suggested I either have a tubal in September in conjunction with my other surgery in New Orleans OR get the essure procedure done locally beforehand.

My Dr. in New Orleans recommends that I do a laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy (take just the uterus and nothing else) rather than a tubal ligation because of my history of heavy bleeding. He suspects that I will get the tubal done and then down the road be back for a hysterectomy, wishing I'd just done the hysterectomy in the first place.

I don't know what to think now. My Dr. in New Orleans is supposed to call me this week and I plan to ask him about the possibility of doing a tubal ligation with an ablation, as that may be a good in the middle choice.

I know what you all are thinking...leave this up to DH. We're not comfortable doing that because my DH is a medical disaster. He has had complications from EVERY single procedure he's ever done, and I'm the opposite, so this really needs to be on me.

georgiegirl
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
It seems silly to do something permanent first. Why not try the IUD and then discuss more invasive options if isn't working for you.

Hope you get some answers soon.

SnuggleBuggles
05-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I think you need to just decide if you want permanent bc or not. Is there a specific reason they are pushing you to a permanent option? If you don't want that, then it's totally up to you.

BabyBearsMom
05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Is there another health issue impacting this?

FWIW, I have a mirena and a history of heavy bleeding and I love it. Not sure if hormonal bc is an option for you.

KLD313
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM
When was having my tubal my midwife said if I had heavy bleeding I could have an ablation. My periods have actually been lighter than they were before the tubal but I can't say that's why.

Binkandabee
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
All forms of hormone related birth control are not an option for me because my breast cancer was hormone receptor positive. I REALLY wish I could just go back to the pill, it was simple, it worked, it was predictable and it helped control the bleeding.

I am fine with a permanent option, and I suspect this is why my Dr. yesterday suggested I think my options over some more. His thinking was why do something semi-permanent if you're certain you are done? I am without a doubt done having babies.

lizzywednesday
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
I think my biggest concern about a hysterectomy would be the possibility of sudden-onset menopause, but I think maybe that only happens with a total hysterectomy/oophorectomy?

I would want to ask more questions about that before I decided, done or not, it's still a big deal. Even laproscopically, recovery can be rough - my step-mother had one almost 4 yrs ago and her recovery was more difficult than her surgeon had presented. (Of course, she had other issues, including not being able to rest & take care of herself, so that probably led to some complications.)

As for Essure, I have a friend who had it done not long ago and it's fine - she also has fibroids, so potential for heavy bleeding & I have not heard anything negative in her experience.

If it were me, I would want to know if, even if they do not recommend oophorectomy at this time, would they ever? Considering you had a hormone-receptive tumor, I would be all over the questions, questions, and more questions, KWIM?

BunnyBee
05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
What would be the benefit of a tubal? That seems the least attractive option to me. You'd still have heavy bleeding. Tubals aren't 100% are they? Maybe they've improved, but my best friend in high school's mom got pregnant after a tubal. I know nothing about Essure. What are the risks with the cervical hysterectomy? It would tick off the bleeding and birth control boxes. I guess I'd research that more. Third opinion? :)

Binkandabee
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
My Dr. in New Orleans is double checking with the Dr. who assisted with the gene test to make sure its not recommended I have my ovaries removed. I don't think it is because I do not carry either of the two known mutations that are also associated with ovarian cancer....I do however have a variant on those genes. So, it's anybody's guess as to whether it will one day be recommended my ovaries be removed.

With just having the uterus removed, there isn't a risk of sudden onset menopause as both the ovaries and the cervix remain. It can bring menopause on earlier by a few years, but it's still the gradual process like normal.

The tubal recovery is fairly easy and the procedure is quick....half an hour tops. If I get an ablation done in conjunction with it, it should also help with the bleeding if not stop it all together.

My ONLY hesitation with doing the hysterectomy is I am worried about the impact on my sex drive. That's a BIG worry for me, because everything is perfectly fine in that regard and I hate to do anything to mess it up. It's not a common side effect, but the fact that it's not common doesn't mean it's not a big deal to those who it does have an impact on, kwim? Everything else points to doing the hysterectomy now....I'm already going to be off work, already under athesthesia, its 100% effective (another BIG worry for me....I've had a surprise baby and one's enough), and it's permanent. But.....the sex drive keeps me from going through with it.