PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP. UTI with no symptoms? And a vent.

TwoBees
05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Update:
Just got the results back from the repeat culture, and no UTI. "Mixed flora" which the nurse said is normal and also a low level of Group B strep, which we don't need to worry about now. So glad I insisted on a reculture and refused to take the antibiotics!

I just got a call from the OB's office telling me my urine culture showed a UTI and the nurse practitioner (who I have NEVER met) have called in a Rx for abx to the pharmacy. Umm...I had the urine culture taken on May 13th, so I figured they have the wrong patient. They insist it's me. I have had NO symptoms. Have you ever had a UTI with no symptoms and have you treated it with abx?

The other issue here, and I am going to vent for a moment, is why the heck is the office telling me NOW (12 business days later) that I have a problem that requires treatment. I point blank asked the nurse this. Her answer was that they didn't get the result until May 17th (a Friday) after the office had closed. Okay, I understand, the lab may not send the results for 4 days. But why the he11 did it take them over a week to then call me?

Ugh. I am getting more and more annoyed at this practice. I told them I am not taking any antibiotics until I'm sure I have an infection -- it could have resolved during the ensuing 2 and a half weeks! And then I want to be recultured before I take anything, and they had better not charge me for the office visit.

:angry-smiley-005:

kaharris83
05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
My understanding is UTIs are more common during pregnancy, and that yes you can have one without symptoms. That said I would want another test too. I used a few at home tests as well while I was pregnant when I suspected I may have a UTI.

Indianamom2
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I'd be really annoyed and ask for a retest as well.

That being said, yes you can have a UTI with no symptoms. However, you don't want to leave it unchecked because it can turn into a much more serious kidney infection. I am not prone to UTI's, but apparently I had one once without knowing it. I never had any symptoms..and then my back/flank started to hurt. After a week, I went to the Dr. She missed it, said it was muscular and to take Ibuprofen. Two more weeks passed and I ended up in the ER with a pretty nasty kidney infection and felt VERY sick. It was not fun. The only symptom I ever had was a very sore back/flank in the kidney area. So definitely get rechecked.

TwoBees
05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd be really annoyed and ask for a retest as well.

That being said, yes you can have a UTI with no symptoms. However, you don't want to leave it unchecked because it can turn into a much more serious kidney infection. I am not prone to UTI's, but apparently I had one once without knowing it. I never had any symptoms..and then my back/flank started to hurt. After a week, I went to the Dr. She missed it, said it was muscular and to take Ibuprofen. Two more weeks passed and I ended up in the ER with a pretty nasty kidney infection and felt VERY sick. It was not fun. The only symptom I ever had was a very sore back/flank in the kidney area. So definitely get rechecked.

This is part of why I am so annoyed. Why didn't they call me sooner???

Thank you both. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor...hopefully I can stop in after work today just to pee in a cup. Joy.

Kaharris--can you get those UTI tests you mentioned at the drugstore?

kaharris83
05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes it is AZO brand and they are at drugstores and Target, WalMart, etc. I was paranoid after finding out you can have UTIs without symptoms and worried about having one wgile pregnant so I tested a lot. :bag My OB doesn't test for UTIs at prenatal appointments. Which I found really weird.

TwoBees
05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes it is AZO brand and they are at drugstores and Target, WalMart, etc. I was paranoid after finding out you can have UTIs without symptoms and worried about having one wgile pregnant so I tested a lot. :bag My OB doesn't test for UTIs at prenatal appointments. Which I found really weird.

Thanks. I'm buying some on the way home today.

The nurse called back and they are having me come in after work for another culture. Of course, they won't have the results back until Monday at the earliest. So now I don't know what to do. I do NOT want to take unnecessary antibiotics. But I also don't want to end up with a serious issue.

scrooks
05-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I have had this happen during pregnancy. I think it's fairly common.

Does the drugstore test give instant results? I would take it and if its positive start the antibiotics.... You don't want to mess around with an infection while pregnant.

MSWR0319
05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
I had three of them during pregnancy and didn't know about any of them. The last one I had, I mentioned to the NP that I was having a lot of BH contractions and she told me I was too early for that (around 20 weeks). I hadn't thought much of it because it was my second pregnancy. She tested my urine and said it was so bad she wasn't even going to culture it. I had no other symptoms.

scrooks
05-30-2013, 02:21 PM
. The last one I had, I mentioned to the NP that I was having a lot of BH contractions and she told me I was too early for that (around 20 weeks).

Unrelated to this thread but that's weird. I have been having Braxton hicks since 20 weeks and my ob says its normal as long as I can get them to stop. She said with her third she had them at 17 weeks. I am 32 weeks now and still get them on and off. I sit down and rest and they go away.

I have heard UTIs can cause them. I also have heard bad infections can cause preterm labor.

bostonsmama
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't take the atx until you at least get your strip results done. I would also take another professional urine culture at the doc's office. Just make sure you scrub the heck out of your hands with soap for 27 seconds, then wipe with the castille towelette THREE TIMES using a clean section each time and tossing it. If it comes out cloudy (urine), you likely have the infection. If it comes out clear, wait to hear if there are blood cells in the urine. Actually culturing the urine takes a while. There can be different types of bacterian in urine, but it could take a week or more to find that out.

I agree they should have called you earlier. It's Thursday, not Tuesday. It's not cancer, but common!

Some bladder infections do resolve on their own. Some go away with probiotic treatment. During pregnancy, though, with a compromised immune system, it's not likely.

llama8
05-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I had a symptomless and unusual UTI when I first found out I was pregnant with DD2. Not one symptom. I needed special antibiotics and it went away.

I would double check your results because 12 days seems like a long lag time for an infection.

Nemesia
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
If it were me, I'd wait to take the antibiotics until I confirmed an infection, either with another culture done via your doctor or the test strips. In the meantime, drink tons of water and take some probiotics.

I would be mad about the delay in contacting you, too!

TwoBees
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
So I provided another sample, and it wasn't cloudy at all. I had the nurse do a dip for red and white blood cells and that came out negative. Now I just have to wait on the actual culture. Sigh.

infocrazy
05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
FWIW, I suddenly had severe back pain when pregnant with DS2. I thought that it was a pulled muscle, but the next day I had a really high fever. My OB sent me to the hospital since it was close to closing at the office. I ended up having a serious kidney infection and was in the hospital for a week. I had to take iv abx in the hospital and had preventive for the rest of the pregnancy. Prior to this no symptoms except back pain the day before.

I would definitely be really mad though about the big delay and agree with the retest.

kmkaull
05-31-2013, 09:11 AM
So frustrating and I have a similar story.

I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks. Labor was stopped, but then at my 33 week appointment I complained of frequent uterine contractions and pain wrapping around to my back. After a few hours of monitoring in labor and delivery, they kept me overnight for observation. Hospital took a urine sample, but I never heard a word about it.

2.5 weeks later, I was at my regular appointment and my doctor says to me, "So have those contractions slowed down since we treated that UTI?" I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. Evidently I I had a UTI in the hospital but was never told or called about it! So almost 3 weeks later, I started on an antibiotic. Unbelievable.

I guess the good news is that I am now almost done with the course of antibiotics and baby is fine. Really crazy that we were both missed!!

Melaine
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
I had a UTI early in the pregnancy with DS...no symptoms. I think it is really worrisome, though, that it took them so long to contact you, holiday weekend or not! I would press them on their policies regarding test results!

TwoBees
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Bumping--update in OP

sarahsthreads
06-03-2013, 11:19 AM
That's so weird. I wonder if they did get somebody else's sample mixed up?

Glad you don't have a UTI, though, and avoided the abx!

Sarah :)

TwoBees
06-03-2013, 11:28 AM
That's so weird. I wonder if they did get somebody else's sample mixed up?

Glad you don't have a UTI, though, and avoided the abx!

Sarah :)

I'm thinking it was not a clean catch. I did it at a Quest lab (had to get bloodwork, didn't know they would ALSO be asking for a urine sample). They do drug testing there, so there is no soap or paper towels in the bathroom, because they do not want the people going for urine drug screens to wash their hands. So I had to wash my hands outside the bathroom. And they gave me ONE towelette to wipe with. And there was no place to set down the collection cup. So many opportunities for contamination. Ugh. :shake: Next time I will insit on doing it in my doctor's office.