PDA

View Full Version : I think we're going to WDW!

kristenk
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
We went to WDW with DH's parents when DD was almost 3yo. The trip was okay, but sort of a bust. DH had a bad cold while we were there. DD was on the tail end of antibiotics. I had badly sprained my ankle less than a week before we left on the trip. The grandparents, who I thought would be super helpers for us on the trip, wanted to do their own thing quite a bit (the nerve! ;)). DD FREAKED out on the Journey into Imagination with Figment ride and still talks about it now, 6 years later. We also discovered that she's anti-people-in-character-costumes. Bottom line: it wasn't the greatest.

But, guess what?! I think we're going to give it another shot! DD is all about various shows on the Disney channel now. She finally realized that the Figment ride was supposed to be low-key and GOOD for kids her age and we didn't put her on some super-scary ride. And I love Disney. And I want her to go while she's still a kid. She's 9yo and we're looking to go within the next 2 years.

Anyway, just sharing my excitement that we're going to give this another try! :) I also wanted to get opinions on timing. She'll be in 4th or 5th grade so ditching school for a week isn't the best option. We'd be limited to sometime over Christmas break, Spring Break, or summer. Tentatively, I think that going as soon as school's out (so going the first or second week of June) might be our best bets. What do you guys think? I know that all of the times I listed will be crowded, but I don't think I can pick a time that won't be.

megs4413
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Christmas break would be my choice. crowded and hot is worse (to me!) than crowded and comfortable. I have done a mid-June trip. yuck. not to mention how beautiful the decorations are for Christmastime and the special events that go on as well to enjoy.

KrisM
05-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd check when your spring break is, too. Ours always includes the first Monday in April, so next year it's April 7th. Easter isn't until April 20, so the calendars say it's a good week to go and not too crowded.

Our other choice was the end of August. Hot, but much less busy since many schools start in early to mid August and we don't start until after Labor Day.

yourfirstvisit.net has crowd calendar estimates for 2014 up.

kristenk
05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks for that link, Kris! The first week of DD's summer break next year is ranked as week #18 and the prices are in the low category for the deluxe hotels. I'd love to stay at the Poly, if possible, so that might not be as bad of a time to visit as I feared. That's encouraging. :)

KrisM
05-30-2013, 09:38 PM
My friend is leaving Saturday. The past 2 years, they were there this week (the week inc. Mem. Day) and she says the crowds aren't bad and the heat is okay. I don't remember why they are back a week this year, but they like this time of year well enough.