PDA

View Full Version : Options for flower beds

Melaine
05-31-2013, 07:36 AM
We are in the process of cleaning out a bunch of flower beds that were hideously overgrown with weeds and ivy. DH is planning on just putting preen covering (or something else) down and then putting mulch or wood chips.

The thing is, we have a pretty large yard but most of it is hill. So we want the kids to be able to run around in the little flat part, plus we are getting the playset in a couple weeks. So we don't actually want to put any plants in these beds. I don't really want to do sod because it's really shady and I want something completely low-maintenance.

I just thought I would ask here about any other options other than mulch. I honestly like the look of pea gravel but DH said no because of mowing, which I understand. Mulch is better than pinestraw though, right? Is there anything else we haven't thought of? Any other tips on keeping the weeds from coming back?

ang79
05-31-2013, 08:28 AM
We have a hilly flower bed that always gets overgrown w/ weeds because we have woods bordering 2 sides of our yard, so lots of baby trees, etc. drop down and grow in the beds. About 8 years ago we put down that black plastic/mesh weed screen fabric, then planted a few plants like day lilies and hostas that are low maintenance, then mulched. This summer DH is replacing the weed screen fabric, as the old stuff is torn and deteriorating and more weeds were getting through. And we'll mulch over it again. Then he uses Preen or something similar on top to deter new weeds from growing.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2013, 08:35 AM
I was going to say hostas and day lillies too. Easy and low maintenance. Plus, they come back each year- my favorite. You can do another spreader- why am I blanking on their names?? Periwinkle is one.

Indianamom2
05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Hostas are super easy and low maintenance, plus there is a ton of variety available. I planted a BUNCH last year in my enormouse flower beds and I cannot believe how huge they are already...they were just babies last year.

Day lillies (Stella D'oro) are also a favorite. All I do is chop them down in the late fall and they come back beautifully each year.

crl
05-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Make sure the weed barrier you put down is not plastic. Newspaper is actually great because it will eventually decompose instead of turning into shreds of something you have to pick back out of the bed.

Hostas and day lilies are great, but not really good for kids to play on top of. I would look for ground cover options. Check the stepables website and talk with a good local nursery. I would be very careful though to not get something that spreads too well. You don't want to be pulling ivy or mint for the rest of your life as it tries for world domination.

Also be careful with things like pea gravel as it can change the drainage and if the water starts moving faster during rain storms can cause flooding issues downhill.

Good luck!

Catherine

Melaine
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. Might consider hostas. I really want it to be playable though. I don't want another spreading plant like the ivy because we just can't keep up with it....

I'm not sure what we want! I have to have just plain mulch....kind of thinking about putting mulch and then putting potted plants or boxes out.

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2013, 03:47 PM
We have rubber mulch in our backyard and some local plants that require zero maintenance. The rubber mulch is awesome because it doesn't fade the way wood mulch does so you don't have to replace it as much. DD1 runs around and jumps in it all the time and it is great. I actually know a lot of people who have laid it down under swing sets for a soft landing. It is more expensive than wood mulch but worth it to us. Plus I like that it is made out of recycled tires, and not trees.

Melaine
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
I like the rubber mulch idea but I think it is out of our price range. And speaking of out of our price range....I think I figured out what I really want: paving stones over the whole thing. That's probably totally out of the question.

crl
05-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Do you need the running space? Could you do a veggie garden that the kids can help tend? Some great ideas out there on digging spaces and such too. . . .

Catherine