PDA

View Full Version : S/o Sunscreen at School

DietCokeLover
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
So many of you said you put sunscreen on your dc everyday. I don't do this and really, never thought about doing that (not sure if I need a bag on my head or not). So, if you put sunscreen on them daily, do you bathe them daily as well?

egoldber
05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
I never have.

They did put sunscreen on the kids at preschool if you sent it in with the signed note. But they would be outside 2+ hours a day. In elementary school they are just not outside that long and I would rather they got the vitamin D!

Ceepa
05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
We don't use sunscreen on DC every day but they do bathe every day. Especially with the pollen and our seasonal allergies it makes sense for us.

lizzywednesday
05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
During sunscreen season, I try to bathe DD every day. It doesn't always work out that I'm able to, but she sweats, so daily baths or showers are necessary.

khalloc
05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
I dont bathe my kids every day. In the winter its more like 2-3x a week. In the summer it CAN be daily. Mostly because my DS gets filthy at his daycare because the backyard is mostly dirt. DD gets alot less dirty and she likes to swim in the pool so I feel like that gets her somewhat clean. I would say baths in the summer are like 4-6x a week, depending on how dirty they get.

Philly Mom
05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
DD only in daycare gets sunscreen everyday and a bath every day. The bath is unrelated to the sunscreen. We do a bath regardless. I will continue to put sunscreen on her as long as I can. My mom and SIL have both had melanomas and DH and I are freckled. I know sunscreen wears off so she gets vitamin d then.

JBaxter
05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
No daily sunscreen unless we are at the pool daily. No baths daily more like 2-3 x a week it dries their skin out.

Momit
05-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Yes sunscreen every day and yes bath every day.

DS is fair and there is a history of melanoma on DH's side. Plus we live in a warm, sunny climate. I do use Vanicream or other physical sunblocks rather than chemical ones.

The bath is mostly because he enjoys it, and because he has a blocked tear duct so his eye area tends to be kind of crusty and the running water is a good way to flush it out. Washing off the sunscreen is kind of an added benefit I guess.

twowhat?
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Oh regular school days (preschool/full-time daycare) I don't do sunscreen. They're only out for 20 min at a time, and my girls hate being in the full sun so they'll gravitate towards the shady spots. They've never gotten burned.

But I put sunscreen on for special days, like today is field day and they'll be out for a couple of hrs so I applied sunscreen.

They take a bath every day so your other question is not applicable for us:)

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2013, 10:20 AM
During the winter, I only put sunscreen on their faces and I was their face every night but bath is only every other night. During the summer, they get sunscreen on arms, lets, neck and faces. They do take a bath every night both to remove the sunscreen and because DD1 gets a little stinky from running around so much outside in the 90+ degree heat.

marymoo86
05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
We don't use sunscreen on DC every day but they do bathe every day. Especially with the pollen and our seasonal allergies it makes sense for us.

:yeahthat:

Occasionally we miss one but I make sure to at least wipe her face/neck with a washcloth and arms where we put on sunscreen.

speo
05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
We do sunscreen and shower everyday. Every so often we skip the shower if we have a late event.

megs4413
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Yes sunscreen every day and yes bath every day.

DS is fair and there is a history of melanoma on DH's side. Plus we live in a warm, sunny climate. I do use Vanicream or other physical sunblocks rather than chemical ones.

This is us as well in the summer. My kids play outside at least an hour a day everyday this time of year, so it's a necessity. In the winter, no.

TwinFoxes
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
We don't do sunscreen every day during the school year. But in the summer we do, unless we are doing inside only activities (like when it's 100+ degrees and we go to the cinema or a museum). They don't bathe every day, but they do get wiped down with a washcloth. I really wish they'd take showers, but they hate them.

KpbS
05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
We don't do sunscreen for school--recess is just 20 min 2 time a day but I think I will start next year mid-April just on the faces as I've noticed DS1 has been getting some more freckles/moles on his face from the exposure.

Gena
05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
DS gets sunscreen everyday. He also gets a Vit D supplement everyday and a bath every night.

DS has albinsim, so daily sunscreen is a must.

BayGirl2
05-31-2013, 03:59 PM
I should have a :bag because I didn't realize until about a month ago that daycare puts sunscreen on DS every day. He's been there for 4 years now. I remember when he was 1 or 2 bringing in a bottle of my choice of sunscreen for him, but I kind of assumed it ran out long ago, like 2 classrooms ago. Nope, I showed up before outside time and the teacher had a huge bin of sunscreen she was putting on all the kids. They play outside for a couple hours/day in the summer so I'm glad they do it. Guess I should check if its expired. :)

We do baths 2x/week in summer or winter. I do occasionally notice sunscreen on him at bath time but I don't stress about it being left on.

HonoluluMom
05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Sunscreen and bath every day here.

MamaSnoo
05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Let me break out the bag. I try to remember sunscreen daily, although I admit that I did a better job with this when I had only 1 DC and I also did a better job when DD was at a school with a sunny play area. Her current school has deep shade in the playground (:heartbeat:).

I bathe one kid each night, so, even if she had on sunscreen, I do not bathe her every night.

If I have anymore kids, they are going to be really dirty! :bag

chottumommy
05-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Sunscreen and shower every day with me since I shower every night. Bath is only once a week.

YouAreTheFocus
05-31-2013, 06:29 PM
DS gets sunscreen 2x per day. We are required to put it on in the morning, and then the teachers reapply after nap. Their yard is really sunny, and the kids are free to be in/out all day long. DS tends to be outside the majority of the day.

As for baths, we tend to do them about 2x/week. Other days I try to remember to wash his face :bag We use physical block as well.

moonsky
06-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Yes, I put sunscreen on DCs and bath them daily. I don't put the sunscreen on the legs though mainly face, neck, and upper bodies.

MMMommy
06-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Sunscreen on face daily. Sunscreen on exposed arms and legs if wearing short sleeved tops and shorts. Daily showers.

fedoragirl
06-01-2013, 04:56 AM
I'm with you OP. I never equated sunscreen with a bath but I guess I like my kids dirty. :D We do baths 2X a week and wash hair only once. My kids do not sweat. I do wash their private parts every morning.
We rarely get sun where we live so I don't bother with sunscreen. I left a large tube in DD's daycare and they never put it. We do use big, floppy hats though.

doberbrat
06-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I dont. Recess is only 17min long and the playground where we play after school has a good deal of shade. Plus dd1 inherited my darker skin tone and doesnt burn.

dd2 is fair fair fair. She gets sunscreen if we're going to be out in the sun for more than 20 min (provided I can remember)

sunscreen = shower for me.

AnnieW625
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
DD1 doesn't get sunscreen daily unless she is going to be outside for more than the normal 45 minutes or so they are outside at school. DD2 gets sunscreen daily if they go outside at daycare. DD1 will get sunscreen daily while at summer camp. I don't bathe or shower my kids everyday, we aim for every other day. Sometimes DD2 will take a bath two days in a row because she likes a bath. It has never occurred to me to have the kids take a shower or bath each time we put on sunscreen.