PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts About the Chicco Echo?

lizzywednesday
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
So, while browsing in Target with DD, she fell in love with the Chicco Echo, probably because it comes in a BRIGHT purple color.

Anyway, not being in the market for a stroller and a bit sour on the idea of another Chicco (we have the Cortina travel system, and I hate it,) I passed, but am wondering about it.

It's about $100 and a "Target Exclusive" which may mean it's just kind of "meh" for a practical lightweight stroller but ... I'm still looking at it.

I have to admit, the bright colors do catch MY attention as well, but color isn't everything when it comes to a stroller!! The handles appeared to be just barely tall enough for me (I am just under 5'8") which is a big plus - I haven't seen a relatively inexpensive lightweight stroller with tall handles anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts?

TwoBees
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
This is the first I have heard of it (although I haven't been in the stroller market for a while), but it looks interesting from the website. For under $100 and with Target's return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to try it out. (Yes, I am one of those people who would have no qualms about returning it to Target after using it a few times if it did not meet my expectations).

ETA: The canopy looks pretty paltry, and I can't find a weight. This is based only on impressions from Chicco's website though.

legaleagle
05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
The cybex ruby has very tall handles (and fab canopy) and comes in a pink/purple. They've been on woot a couple times for under $100, not sure if they have any left but you should be able to find for around $100 somewhere.

lizzywednesday
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks.

Again, we're not really in the market for a stroller - I still wear DD (back carry in a Toddler size KinderPack) and she's capable of walking for longer distances than a lot of 3-yr-olds, but it would be nice to just toss her into a stroller sometimes.

TwoBees - Yeah, the canopy is pretty sad IRL, so that's part of why I wasn't willing to drop $100 on it impulsively. I thought it had potential as a good stroller to use out at the ILs', but that canopy is less than ideal for AZ.

legaleagle - I'm not really in the market for another stroller, but it's good to know about the Cybex. It's now on my shortlist if I should ever need a new stroller, though!

TwoBees
05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
If you can still find a Britax Blink anywhere, or its successor the B-Nimble for cheap, it's not a bad all-purpose inexpensive umbrella stroller (I got my blink for about $85). The canopy is not great but it's decent. It is kind of short though (i'm 5' so I like it!)

ebp913
05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
I haven't tried the Echo so I don't really know but based on other strollers made by Chicco I wouldn't spend $100 on it. There are lots of nicer options around that price.

Mercuria
05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
I played with an Echo the first time I saw one, and it was rather cheap feeling, and the push seemed really bad. Our first stroller was a Cortina, and honestly, that actually has a pretty good push. The Echo is definitely Chicco's "budget" umbrella, bright colors or not. It makes the Cortina look super nice.

lizzywednesday
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
If you can still find a Britax Blink anywhere, or its successor the B-Nimble for cheap, it's not a bad all-purpose inexpensive umbrella stroller (I got my blink for about $85). The canopy is not great but it's decent. It is kind of short though (i'm 5' so I like it!)

That wouldn't work - at just under 5'8", a "short" stroller would be Hell on earth. (I spent $40 on a cheapie from BRU for a backup to have at the ILs' place out west and wish I'd just bitten the bullet, ignored DH, and gotten a freaking Mac or Peg instead.)

I played with an Echo the first time I saw one, and it was rather cheap feeling, and the push seemed really bad. Our first stroller was a Cortina, and honestly, that actually has a pretty good push. The Echo is definitely Chicco's "budget" umbrella, bright colors or not. It makes the Cortina look super nice.

A "budget" option to be sold for more than I've seen a new Capri at BRU? No, thanks. The fabric felt a little more substantial than the Capri, but more than that, I was only pulled in by the bright colors! (And, well, DD seemed to think the purple was awesome.)

And I positively DESPISE the Cortina and do not think it's got a good push; I preferred the hand-me-down Quinny I've got to our Cortina.

TwoBees
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
That wouldn't work - at just under 5'8", a "short" stroller would be Hell on earth. (I spent $40 on a cheapie from BRU for a backup to have at the ILs' place out west and wish I'd just bitten the bullet, ignored DH, and gotten a freaking Mac or Peg instead.)

Oh, it's not THAT short by any means (not $10 stroller short).

What about a used Mac for your purposes?

AngB
06-05-2013, 04:27 PM

We have the Blink I got for $70 and used it all year last year before DS2 came along. DH is 5'10 and pushed DS1 in it a lot and the height was never a problem for him. It would be tough to find one though, I think.

Mercuria
06-05-2013, 10:52 PM
And I positively DESPISE the Cortina and do not think it's got a good push; I preferred the hand-me-down Quinny I've got to our Cortina.

Sorry, I meant a good push for what it is (a huge plastic beast). And I still felt like it was miles ahead of the Echo I played with, which doesn't speak well for the Echo. It may have just been the display units I encountered, but there were two of them, and this is right after it came out, so it's not likely. It's eye candy only, unfortunately.