PDA

View Full Version : What is "late" pick up at school

hillview
05-31-2013, 03:19 PM
DS2 attends a montessori school. The school day is 8-3 pm. Pick up is at 3 pm. At what time would you expect the school to call you to ask why he has not been picked up yet?

connor_mommy
05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Maybe at 3:15.

egoldber
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Our after care closes at 6. They start calling at about 6:05. Not that I would know. :o Usually I call them when I think I am going to be late.

ETA: If a child has not been picked up from regular school by about 10 minutes after pick up, they will start calling.

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
I think our schools call at 5 minutes after closing. But if I ever think I'm going to be late, I just call and let them know in advance. It has only happened twice and both times I got there at the exact minute of closing so we weren't actually late.

Blue Hydrangea
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
3:10? I'm sure staff don't expect to have to stay late to babysit.

hillview
05-31-2013, 03:25 PM
ok thanks. my dad was picking up DS2. His teacher called me at 3:09 really pissy -- she was leaving and he would be "upstairs". We've NEVER ever been late before (in 5 years) -- there was road work so dad had to re-route (the entire school knows this). My dad walked in at 3:10.

Full disclosure. I don't like this teacher.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Maybe at 3:15.

:yeahthat:

thoguh i have no idea since I've never had my kids at a Montessori since I need FT care.

our daycare closes at 6:00..... the handbook says it will charge parents for every minute past 6:00 as a teacher has to stay late with them. when DH is OOT and the traffic was bad or i was held up with something at work i've gone and picked up the kids at 5:58 before, rushing in like a madwoman..but then on the way out i see parents just mosey on in like nothing at like 6:05, so i'm guessing it's not a super hard "deadline". i imagine they'd start calling at 6:10 or 6:15, but not sure, as they may just assume the parent had a late meeting or was dealing with traffic or something.

ETA: just saw your last post..yeah that teacher sounds like a beeyotch. 3:10 and already calling in a pissy tone ? yeah, she needs to chill. like i said, parents walk in 5 minutes past somewhat often apparently, and it's not a big deal. i could see them saying something if it happened regularly, but calling over a one-time occurrence of 10 minutes late seems like overkill.

boolady
05-31-2013, 03:29 PM
3:10? I'm sure staff don't expect to have to stay late to babysit.

While I agree with you that they're not babysitters, I think there's also got to be the reasonable expectation that people may get caught in traffic or otherwise be unavoidably detained. If it happened with a certain family on a regular basis, I can see making it clear that it cannot continue.

Unfortunately, I rarely have the opportunity to pick DD up at the end of the school day as I'm working, and she goes to the afterschool program; however, when I have been able to do so, her teacher is always out there with a few kids whose parents aren't there at dismissal time, waiting for them to arrive when I leave with DD, even if we've chatted with others for a few minutes. Stuff happens.

OP, if in all of that time you've never had an ongoing issue, I think it's pretty cr*ppy of the teacher to be snippy about it.

scrooks
05-31-2013, 03:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I got "scolded" for picking my kids up today at 12:05 for a preschool camp that ended at 12:00. There were 2 parents leaving as I pulled in and at least 1 behind me. The camp in only 25 kids! I kind of think they should reasonably factor in 5-10 minutes for pickup. Although I admit I am still in "school" mode (school just ended last week) where school ends at 11:30 officially and the pickup window is 11:25-11:40 ish ... It just usually takes that long for 4 times the kids so there is a little more buffer on the pick up time!

I think I would be ticked about getting a phone call for being 9 minutes late on pick up!

o_mom
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
ok thanks. my dad was picking up DS2. His teacher called me at 3:09 really pissy -- she was leaving and he would be "upstairs". We've NEVER ever been late before (in 5 years) -- there was road work so dad had to re-route (the entire school knows this). My dad walked in at 3:10.

I would not be upset at calling at 3:09, but the really pissy part wasn't necessary especially if you are never late. I don't think it is inappropriate to call to find out if someone was on the way and something happened vs. forgot so they know if they should wait outside or take him back in.

niccig
05-31-2013, 03:46 PM
We have a pick-up window of 2.45-3.00pm. After that, kids are sent to the school office to wait for their parents.

kbud
05-31-2013, 03:46 PM
I find a huge difference in elementary school and preschool.

In elementary school we have a 30 min window. From all the preschools I've attended it is pretty much when they are out. The parents line up a few minutes before it's over. They expect you to be there when they are done.

If pick up is at 3 I'd say a call around 10-15 min would be in line.

KrisM
05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
I would not be upset at calling at 3:09, but the really pissy part wasn't necessary especially if you are never late. I don't think it is inappropriate to call to find out if someone was on the way and something happened vs. forgot so they know if they should wait outside or take him back in.

I think calling at 3:09 is reasonable. I know our preschool teacher works the after care at the elementary that is a 15 min. drive away. If she's sitting waiting on parents until 3:15 (school ends at 3), then she'll likely be late for after care at 3:30.

Tone of voice is not nice though.

s7714
05-31-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd say 15-20 minutes, especially when the parent(s) in question aren't habitually late. Our preschool waited at least that long.

ETA: One preschool I considered had a policy that charged an insane per minute babysitting rate after 15 minutes post end time to discourage tardiness. IIRC it was $10 per minute!

BunnyBee
05-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Our Montessori school has a 15 minute pickup window. School is out at 3, but carpool/pickup runs until 3:15. If you're late, your kid is taken to aftercare and you're charged the day rate (~$30). That policy is in the handbook and you sign a form specifically stating you are aware of it. Most parents have other parents' cell phone numbers and will call if they're stuck and give permission to release the kid to that parent. Then you hang out on the playground for a few minutes.

There was a water main break which screwed traffic, and they kept carpool running for at least 30 minutes because traffic was so bad, and they sent an email/phone blast warning about it.

BabyBearsMom
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I can see calling at 3:09 but not being pissy about it. A polite "Hi, Johnny is still here and I just wanted to make sure that someone was on their way to get him" is sufficient

westwoodmom04
05-31-2013, 04:14 PM
We have fifteen minutes once school gets out at the preschool before we are considered late.

Melaine
05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Fifteen minute window here and you are charged by the minute after.

AngB
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Ugh, that teacher again!

That being said, when I worked at a military daycare/CDC, they charged parents for every minute late, I think the first time was a warning, the second time was informing that person's first shirt (military speak for "boss" basically), and after 3 times they would no longer be allowed to bring their kids. That's a little bit different though since it was all military kids, partially government funded, and most of the parents were on the same base as the daycare and only a few minutes away. (Parents that were late almost always stopped to shop or weren't working that day, etc.) In the 3 years I worked there, I think it only happened like 3x at least for my classes. I don't know how late they called or anything, the front desk and director handled that sort of stuff.

Considering you've been using them for 5 yrs and this is the first time it happened, the reaction is definitely excessive, although I think calling is ok to make sure someone is on the way/didn't forget.

smilequeen
05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
They would just send my kids to aftercare. I've never picked up late, but they've gone to aftercare. We get 15 minutes free aftercare to account for unavoidable things. (Also Montessori).

Is there after hours care? If so I can't even begin to imagine why she was so pissy. I can't imagine it anyway, but everyone has bad days I guess.

MamaSnoo
05-31-2013, 04:37 PM
DD attends a Montessori. Her school's policy is very clear. School is over at 3. The carpool pick-up/walk-up pick-up is 3-3:15. After 3:15 is considered late. They would call at 3:15.

It was the same when DD was one of the younger ones in primary, and her day ended at 11:30. In that case, pick-up was from 11:30-11:45.

Maybe you could ask the school to clarify the late policy or check their handbook? they really should provide a window for pick-up, not just one set time. I assume they do not want you coming early either (like at 2 or 2:30) because that would disrupt the work cycle.

I also would not have appreciated a pissy phone call from the teacher.

Pear
05-31-2013, 05:58 PM
3:05

I aim to be at school a few minutes early and just hang out in my car.

crl
05-31-2013, 06:10 PM

:yeahthat:

Catherine

khm
05-31-2013, 06:21 PM

With the roadwork, your dad was the only one that was late? I bet if that is the case for today, multiple other parents have been late this week due to the work.

I do have sympathy for them. Even if you haven't been late, they are constantly dealing with parents who are, who constantly abuse the timeline. I've seen it at every event, practice, drop-off party, class, etc.

I bet this was the upteenth time someone was late and she snapped at the wrong person, not even considering that YOU haven't been late, just that "a parent, any parent, is making me wait late AGAIN".

hillview
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
thanks all.

They did send him to late care for <1 minute. I would be fine with paying for a late fee. I'd totally understand calling (I was glad to get the call and get my dad who explained he was with my son at that moment -- so <2 mins had gone by from when she called to when he got to DS). I just didn't consider 9 mins late really really late meriting a nasty call especially since we aren't late to pick up ever. They don't let kids out early or at a range of time so it is 3 pm and often this class lets kids out at 3:05 which I find annoying since when I am doing pick up I am there early so I don't miss the time and then wait longer :) but I've never said anything because really it is just 5 mins :)

Anyway I just wanted to know if her being pissy was merited. I didn't think so but since I really don't like her in the first place, I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

For people who remember my other post, it is R in this post
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=453112&highlight=teacher

She hasn't been invited back next year.

AngB
05-31-2013, 07:55 PM
She hasn't been invited back next year.

:bighand:

Maybe that has to do with her nasty attitude, or vice versa. Glad your time with her is limited!

Kestrel
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Our preschool is out a 3pm, up to 3:15 is free. Every 15 minutes after that is $20. At 4pm, they go to the daycare side of the school, and it's a total of $60 (not plus the 15 minutes) for the remainder of the day, until 6pm.

KrisM
05-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Maybe since you have never been late in all those years, they were genuinely concerned that something was wrong, since you were (your dad) 10 min. late. I've been 1-2 min. late 2-3 times in the 6 years we did preschool, but I think if I was 10 min late the teacher would be worried about me.

JBaxter
05-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Why back when DS1 & Ds2 were in after care they called at 6:05 6:10 they charged $15 then $1 per minute. If you could not be reached by 620 they called the emergency numbers until someone was reached.

Neatfreak
05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm really surprised that 5-10 minutes after the bell is considered late pick-up! DD's (third grade) teacher regularly keeps her class an extra 5-10 minutes to finish up whatever they were doing and tidy the classroom, and it looks like most of the teacher spend the next 10-15 minutes talking with parents!

Simon
05-31-2013, 11:23 PM
At day care and Mont. preschool, late is any 1 minute after the end of school. Both close at 5:30 and you are expected to have taken responsibility for your child before/at that time exactly. You are charged by the minute after, although they are usually lenient and I always call if I think I am going to be late even by 2 minutes.

Elementary school here (public) will start calling 10-15 minutes after school, depending on how many kids are still outside. Teachers usually monitor the kids outside for 10 minutes after school. I have been called once or twice; sometimes I am outside and Ds just didn't see me.

katall
06-01-2013, 12:14 AM
I will keep my students for 20 minutes after dismissal, but I don't like it. That time is used for cleaning up and setting up for the next day. If parents are late I am stuck at the dismissal door waiting on them instead of getting ready for the next day. At the 20 minute mark, I have to RUN out the door or my own children will not be picked up on time.

PZMommy
06-01-2013, 01:26 AM
After 10 minutes, I take my remaining students to the office to sit and wait. I have to leave after work to pick my kids up and take DS2 to his therapy sessions.

ckso
06-01-2013, 04:54 AM
DD's preschool closes at 6 and charges $1 per minute after with no exception

The girl working the front office actually calls 5-15 minutes BEFORE 6. I had a dental appt that ended a little early so I decided to run an errand. i didnt have my cell phone with me so i didnt tell my husband .

Well she called my home, talked to my husband who freaked out thinking something happened to me since he figured I should've picked her up by then. Then freaked out more when he couldn't reach me by cell phone.

I got there at 5:55 and she says to me "oh, I like to call parents early because sometimes parents forget what time it is". I thought she just called my cell which is the primary number so I didn't know what to was talking about until I got home.