PDA

View Full Version : Nooooo! Failed the one hour glucose test...

sarahsthreads
05-31-2013, 04:36 PM
By like 6 points.

Damn, I hate that three hour test! I failed the one hour test with DD1, but passed the three hour test with flying colors. Somehow passed the one hour test with DD2. Was hoping to do the same this time around. No such luck. :(

Oh, and the nurse was super pushy about needing to get it done ASAP. Well, here's the thing, lady...

- I have a 4 year old who is done with preschool. I need to arrange child care, because even though she is very, very good, she is not going to be very, very good for three hours in a waiting room. I also have blood pressure issues, so I'm pretty sure you don't want me to try to manage her increasingly bad behavior while I'm getting this test done.
- I have an appointment to have a flooring issue in my house fixed Monday morning. This has been rescheduled twice by the contractor. I am NOT going to try to change it, because I will still be waiting to have it fixed until Christmas at this rate.
- I have an appointment to take said 4 year to the eye doctor Tuesday morning. I've already rescheduled twice. Again, not changing it.
- I am chaperoning a field trip on Wednesday morning. No chance of rescheduling that. By the way, this is what's going to make arranging child care difficult - I already pulled strings to find someone to watch my preschooler on Wednesday.
- I have an appointment IN YOUR OFFICE Thursday morning.

So when I say next Friday is the earliest I can possibly do this, and only if I can get my husband to take off from work, I am not exaggerating, nor I am trying to get out of doing the test.

I mean, c'mon, I have only gained 6 pounds and I am already 27 weeks along. I don't eat sweets, I don't crave sweets, the closest I come to sweets is the occasional Starbuck's smoothie which is made of pureed fruit and protein powder. I snack on stuff like nuts and cheese and grapes and cucumbers - when I bother to snack, because to be honest, I'm never hungry. I eat reasonably balanced meals. I don't drink juice or soda or anything else besides water and a reasonable amount of coffee. It's not like I'm chowing down on ice cream and brownies over here...those don't even sound appealing.

Great.

Sarah

Philly Mom
05-31-2013, 04:40 PM
How horrible. So sorry and my biggest fear. As an aside, my SIL's friend ate jelly beans for her 3 hour test instead of drinking the solution. It is supposed to be permitted. The friend is an MD so knew about it. She said it was better than drinking the solution but she will never eat another jelly bean again. A second option for the test instead of the liquid.

scrooks
05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
That sucks! I am sorry!!!!

TwoBees
05-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Ugh! I'm so sorry. :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2013, 05:14 PM
I'd ask for a retest of the one hour and be super good about eating in the days leading up. That sucks though.

georgiegirl
05-31-2013, 05:24 PM
That stinks. I had mine 1.5 weeks ago, on DS's second to last day of a school. There's no way any kid would want to hang out at the office for 3 hours.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Also, what about that other blood test? With my family history of diabetes, my endo wants me to have this blood test that is more accurate and doesn't involve fasting or the drink. Don't know if it works for pregnancy though.

turtledove
05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Ugh! I failed the one hr with DD1. The three hour test made me feel so bad (and I failed that one by 1 freaking point) that I swore I would never take it again. My blood pressure dropped, my pulse was 100bpm resting, and that was the worst I felt my entire pregnancy. I would rather they just assume I had GD than go through that again. Thankfully, it wasn't an issue with DD2. I guess we will see with this one. Good luck!

Nemesia
05-31-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm so sorry. I took mine on Thursday, and am waiting to hear. I felt crummy after drinking the glucola, so I am worried that I failed mine too. Not sure what I'll do, as I've heard that the 3 hour test is miserable.

sarahsthreads
05-31-2013, 11:19 PM
I'd ask for a retest of the one hour and be super good about eating in the days leading up. That sucks though.

That's the thing, though, I *have* been super good about eating. Not because I was taking the test, just because I don't want sweets. At all. It's almost like I drank that glucola and my body went "OMG WHAT IS THIS HORRIBLE SUGAR THING YOU'RE MAKING ME DEAL WITH?!?" because I haven't been eating it.

And honestly, I'd rather just take the three hour test and be done with it than take the one hour test *again* and then potentially have to take the three hour test anyway. Actually, honestly, I'd rather they just give me a diet to follow (though I suspect I'm already mostly eating that way) and leave me in peace.

Oh, and the tape they put over the gauze after the blood draw completely destroyed my skin. I'm *so* looking forward to doing this again. :P

DH is taking Tuesday off, will take DD2 to her eye appointment (I'm sure that will go ever so well) and then meet me somewhere close to the lab for lunch. So at least I can get this done before I get nagged about it at my appointment. Sigh.

Sarah

sarahsthreads
05-31-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm so sorry. I took mine on Thursday, and am waiting to hear. I felt crummy after drinking the glucola, so I am worried that I failed mine too. Not sure what I'll do, as I've heard that the 3 hour test is miserable.

I took mine Thursday too, so hopefully the fact that you haven't heard yet is good news! I knew when I saw the number for my doctor's office come up that it was bad news. (Though I held out the slim hope that they were just going to tell me my iron was low.)

Sarah

sarahsthreads
05-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Also, what about that other blood test? With my family history of diabetes, my endo wants me to have this blood test that is more accurate and doesn't involve fasting or the drink. Don't know if it works for pregnancy though.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call Monday and see if there's *any* other option. Because really, the three hour test is absolute torture. Though it is three hours to sit and read a book or knit without distraction...you know, to find the silver lining...

Sarah :)

scrooks
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Good luck on the 3 hour. I had to take one over the summer when my reproductive endo was doing a work up on me. I took my kindle and just sat!

I am sure the 3 hour test will turn out just fine!

MamaMolly
06-01-2013, 10:30 AM
! failed the one hour with Dolly and they had me take a blood glucose monitor home and test/chart two hours after every meal for a few days. It showed I was fine. Ask if you can do that. I absolutely hate the glucose test. It makes me vomit every time.

nrp
06-01-2013, 10:30 AM
That's the thing, though, I *have* been super good about eating. Not because I was taking the test, just because I don't want sweets. At all. It's almost like I drank that glucola and my body went "OMG WHAT IS THIS HORRIBLE SUGAR THING YOU'RE MAKING ME DEAL WITH?!?" because I haven't been eating it.

Actually, that may well be the case. While maybe counter-intuitive, a number of doctors prescribe a high-carb diet in the three days leading up to the three-hour test to *avoid* false positives. You may want to consider it the next couple days before you go in. At least, I would not further restrict carb intake.

ETA: To clarify - you should still follow your doctor/midwife's orders re fasting or not the day of the test - the "carb loading" is for the days prior.

Nemesia
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Actually, that may well be the case. While maybe counter-intuitive, a number of doctors prescribe a high-carb diet in the three days leading up to the three-hour test to *avoid* false positives. You may want to consider it the next couple days before you go in. At least, I would not further restrict carb intake.

ETA: To clarify - you should still follow your doctor/midwife's orders re fasting or not the day of the test - the "carb loading" is for the days prior.

I read this too. I normally eat a high protein, low carb, low sugar diet, but in the days leading up to the test a couple friends told me to eat a little more sugar than I normally do, or the glucose would be too much of a shock to my system. I still haven't heard anything back from my OB, and they have limited office hours on Fridays, so I'm not sure if I passed or not.

Since you "failed" by so few points, I'd hope your doctor would work with you if you want to try the 1 hour again, or do something like MamaMolly did.

essnce629
06-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I'd retest and ask for the jelly bean test instead. It is an alternative and is just as accurate, but with fewer side effects. You eat 28 jelly beans instead of drinking the drink.

Jelly beans as an alternative to a fifty-gram glucose beverage for gestational diabetes screening.
"Jelly beans may be used as an alternative to the 50-g glucose beverage as a sugar source for gestational diabetes mellitus screening. The 2 sources provoke similar serum glucose responses. Patients report fewer side effects after a jelly bean challenge than after a 50-g glucose beverage challenge."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561636

AnnieW625
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I'll call Monday and see if there's *any* other option. Because really, the three hour test is absolute torture. Though it is three hours to sit and read a book or knit without distraction...you know, to find the silver lining...

It must be regional because I had my two girls using two different insurances and never had a 1 hr. glucose test. I thought it was torture the first time, but the second time it seemed to go faster and the orange glucose drink didn't taste all that bad. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

georgiegirl
06-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I'd retest and ask for the jelly bean test instead. It is an alternative and is just as accurate, but with fewer side effects. You eat 28 jelly beans instead of drinking the drink.

Jelly beans as an alternative to a fifty-gram glucose beverage for gestational diabetes screening.
"Jelly beans may be used as an alternative to the 50-g glucose beverage as a sugar source for gestational diabetes mellitus screening. The 2 sources provoke similar serum glucose responses. Patients report fewer side effects after a jelly bean challenge than after a 50-g glucose beverage challenge."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561636

That sounds much yummier! Wish I could have eaten 28 jelly beans instead of drinking that nasty drink that almost came back up.

sarahsthreads
06-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Interesting. I guess it's probably OK then that DH dragged us all out for fajitas for dinner tonight. The rice and beans each were more carbs than I usually ever eat in an entire meal. ;)

KpbS
06-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh man! Hoping for the best on the retest! I like the theory of the eating some/additional carbs pre-test. Sounds like the fajitas/spaghetti night may be just the thing. :)

llama8
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
That stinks. I failed my 1 hr with DD2, but I did pass the 3 hour. That test was terrible. Good luck.

megs4413
06-02-2013, 12:00 PM
What an absolute bummer! I hope the retest clears you!!!