PDA

View Full Version : Costco (AND Harris Teeter) frozen berries and Hepatitis A outbreak

essnce629
05-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Hepatitis A outbreak linked to berries sold at Costco
http://www.fox21news.com/news/story.aspx?id=904528#.Uak_dpzzsrk

Crap! I buy these berries ALL.THE.TIME and just ate them this morning!!!! And my mom was here last weekend watching the kids and ate them too! I don't give them to the kids and DBF doesn't eat them either.

Article says "...if you have eaten Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berries during the past 14 days, contact your medical provider for an immunization. If you do not have a medical provider, contact your local health department."

What would you do? Off to google.

AnnieW625
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
I almost bought those during my last trip, so glad I opted for the tropical blend instead. Hope things are okay for you all.

baymom
05-31-2013, 09:51 PM
OMG! I eat those pretty much every single day--certainly including in the past 14 days! I'll be following this thread!

WatchingThemGrow
05-31-2013, 09:53 PM
So the blackberries, blueberries, raspberry blend is okay???? I made smoothies with that one for all 5 of us and my mom this past week.

essnce629
05-31-2013, 09:59 PM
It's only the Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend that contains cherries, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, strawberries, and raspberries.

This one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/OrganicBerryMix_zps90c234dd.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/essnce629/media/OrganicBerryMix_zps90c234dd.jpg.html)

So far there's been cases in 5 states: Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and California. 30 cases total so far, but it takes about 30 days for symptoms to develop after eating the contaminated food.

sweetheart82
05-31-2013, 10:03 PM
oh no. That is scary news. Thank you for the info.

zukeypur
05-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh fun. I grabbed those after I couldn't find the blueberries. Luckily the blueberries were in a new place and not OOS, so I put the hepatitis berries back.

WatchingThemGrow
05-31-2013, 10:39 PM
My bag looks so much like that...Townsend farms, antioxidant blend, organic, pics of the berries, same shape, just cherries, strawberries and pomegranate instead.

essnce629
05-31-2013, 10:54 PM
My bag looks so much like that...Townsend farms, antioxidant blend, organic, pics of the berries, same shape, just cherries, strawberries and pomegranate instead.

Really? No raspberries or blueberries? Hmm, I've never seen that one before. Maybe they have different berry blends at different locations? Where are you located? Are you in any of the 5 states indicated?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Holy crap!! i have bought the Costco antioxidant blend before, but it was more than a couple months ago. THe kids (and me, actually) didn't care for the pomegranite seeds. And i preferred getting individual bags of strawberries, blueberries, cherries etc instead of a mix. SO glad I didn't buy these again!!

Really? No raspberries or blueberries? Hmm, I've never seen that one before. Maybe they have different berry blends at different locations? Where are you located? Are you in any of the 5 states indicated?

It must vary by location. I am in TX and in ours i swear it had blueberries, but the bag looked very different.

So freaky!!

essnce629
05-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Found a little more info here:

http://www.times-standard.com/news/ci_23364874/public-health-warns-against-townsend-farms-organic-antioxidant

"In California, six confirmed illnesses in persons who consumed this product have been reported from Humboldt, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties. Three of these individuals have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

”People who have bought this product should discard it if still found in their home,” Dr. Ron Chapman, CDPH director and state health officer, said. “Anyone who has consumed this specific product in the last 14 days should contact their doctor to discuss possible hepatitis A prevention and treatment options.”"

I checked the Costco website and the only thing mentioned under recalls was something about single packets of laundry detergent. Nothing on the berries. Checking the Townsend Farms website next.

tg_canada
05-31-2013, 11:22 PM
I checked the Costco website and the only thing mentioned under recalls was something about single packets of laundry detergent. Nothing on the berries. Checking the Townsend Farms website next.
From other articles I've read, there isn't a recall at this time. Costco has pulled the product from their shelves though.

twotimesblue
05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Costco just called my DH to tell him that we bought a bag that could be from an affected batch! I am freaking out because symptoms can take up to 6 weeks to appear: DH, DS1 and I had these in a smoothie around 3 weeks ago. If DS2 was a little bit older I would probably have pureed some for him, too - how can this happen??

essnce629
05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
From other articles I've read, there isn't a recall at this time. Costco has pulled the product from their shelves though.

I was at Costco this morning and my store still had them on the shelves!!!!

essnce629
05-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Costco just called my DH to tell him that we bought a bag that could be from an affected batch! I am freaking out because symptoms can take up to 6 weeks to appear: DH, DS1 and I had these in a smoothie around 3 weeks ago. If DS2 was a little bit older I would probably have pureed some for him, too - how can this happen??

I was wondering if they were going to mention the affected batch numbers or dates purchase or something. Nothing was mentioned in any of the articles I read. I haven't received a call. My mom is the primary account owner though, so I wonder if she would get a call or if I would since I bought the berries. She pays the annual membership fee, but we each have our own card.

twotimesblue
05-31-2013, 11:42 PM
During the call they mentioned the dates of purchase... it was between end of February and early May I believe? DH is the primary account holder so they clearly tracked our purchase - I feel so awful thinking I could have given my DS affected berries!

jent
05-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Uggh, so scary. Twotimesblue, I hope everyone is ok.

I just joined Costco and one of my first purchases was a big bag of berries- I love to have them on hand to throw in everything. Fortunately it's not THIS bag.

This whole thing makes me feel bad that I'm not buying local as much as we used to. I'm a believer in the whole "locally grown" movement- good for the community and the environment. Plus I worry that large-scale food distribution increases the risk of foodborne illness, like this outbreak.

ETA: I just remembered that in a lot of areas, Hep A is recommended as a routine vaccination. Massachusetts started several years back.

mikala
05-31-2013, 11:54 PM
One of the articles I read indicated they might be focusing on the pomegranate seeds so maybe a blend without those is ok?

Hope it turns out to be nothing for those of you who have eaten the berries recently! Scary stuff.

Melaine
06-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Wow...that's so scary! Thanks for posting, I will let my mom know (we don't have a Costco but she does).

JustMe
06-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Oh no. So scary! I really don't know why I have not bought these, but luckily for some reason I have not.

essnce629
06-01-2013, 12:46 PM
During the call they mentioned the dates of purchase... it was between end of February and early May I believe? DH is the primary account holder so they clearly tracked our purchase - I feel so awful thinking I could have given my DS affected berries!

I'm positive my berries are from during that time, but we haven't gotten a call from Costco. I think I'll try and check through my receipts. I've been saving my Costco receipts lately so maybe I still have it from the berry purchase. When I went on the Townsend Farms website last night I didn't see anything mentioned about the outbreak.

essnce629
06-01-2013, 12:59 PM
One of the articles I read indicated they might be focusing on the pomegranate seeds so maybe a blend without those is ok?

Yes, it has been confirmed that it is from the pomegranate seeds, which are from Turkey.

Townsend Farms Attorney Says Pomegranate Seeds Caused Costco Hepatitis A Outbreak
http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2013/townsend-farms-attorney-says-pomegranate-seeds-caused-costco-hepatitis-a-outbreak/

And it looks like the type of Hepatitis A strain is not one that is usually seen in Americans:

"Preliminary studies of specimens from two people sickened in this outbreak suggest the outbreak strain of hepatitis A virus (HAV) is genotype 1B. This strain is rarely seen in the Americas but circulates in the North Africa and Middle East regions, according to the CDC. This same genotype was identified in a 2013 outbreak in Europe linked to frozen berries and another 2012 outbreak in British Columbia related to a frozen berry blend with pomegranate seeds from Egypt."

I think I will call my doctor on Monday morning. I do not want a vaccine, but would be ok with the Hepatitis A immunoglobulin if she thinks it's necessary. The immunoglobulin prevents infection and lasts up to 3 months. Unlike the vaccine, it can be used in infants under one, pregnant and nursing women, the elderly, and those who are immunocompromised and allergic to the vaccine. Both the vax and immunoglobulin are equally effective against preventing infection if taken within 14 days of exposure, with one study I read stating that the immunoglobulin may be slightly more effective. The immunoglobulin has also been used as treatment for Hepatitis A.

essnce629
06-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok, so I just checked my Costco receipts and I bought a bag of berries on both 3/13 and 4/8. I already ate the entire bag of 3/13 berries, and the bag from 4/8 is half full and are the ones I ate yesterday and that my mom ate from as well.

KLD313
06-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok, so I just checked my Costco receipts and I bought a bag of berries on both 3/13 and 4/8. I already ate the entire bag of 3/13 berries, and the bag from 4/8 is half full and are the ones I ate yesterday and that my mom ate from as well.

OMG! That's so scary. I hope none of you get sick!

ShanaMama
06-01-2013, 10:54 PM

I would be calling my dr if I were you. This is seriously frightening. Costco, of all places. For some reason I think their quality control is better than others. Was this preventable?
I really hope none of the pp who ate the berries get sick!

essnce629
06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
It is an official recall now after 4 more people have gotten sick. I'll be taking my receipts to Costco for refunds for the two bags I bought. Looks like the berries were also sold at Harris Teeter under their store brand.

Hepatitis A outbreak: Townsend Farms recalls frozen berry mix
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/06/hepatitis_a_outbreak_townsend.html

Costco sold the potentially contaminated berries from February through May in 3 lb. bags. They have sequential best-by codes from T012415 through T053115. Distribution in Harris Teeter stores was limited to April 19 to May 7. Harris Teeter Organic Antioxidant Berry Blend was sold in 10 oz. bags with best by codes of T041615E and T041615C.

Townsend Farms advised anyone who bought the berries to toss them and take the receipt to the store for a full refund.

cntrymoon2
06-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Did I read somewhere that Costco was paying for the vaccine for people who ate the berries? I can't find any information about that, and my cousin's dr. flat out refused the vaccine to her because she didn't have symptoms.

94bruin
06-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Did I read somewhere that Costco was paying for the vaccine for people who ate the berries? I can't find any information about that, and my cousin's dr. flat out refused the vaccine to her because she didn't have symptoms.

My mom reports that my cousins in Sacramento went to Costco to get the vaccine.

BabyDahl
06-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Call your local Costco to make sure they have it in stock as many are running out the day the delivery comes in. You may need to make an appointment or go in during a specified time, but the pharmacists should be able to vaccinate you. The Lakewood CA Costco gave about 25 yesterday and had enough vaccine to give some on Monday. Costcos are providing vaccine to anyone who says they ate the berries. You must provide your Costco card # and sign consent. You should also be able to return for a second dose to provide lifelong immunity.

essnce629
06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
This article says that Costco "is providing vaccinations for people who ate the berries within the last two weeks and is reimbursing others who have gotten the vaccine outside the store."

http://www.komonews.com/news/health/Hepatitis-A-linked-to-frozen-berries-sickens-Washington-211038151.html

I'm in Los Angeles and when I called my doctor's office they said to go to my local health department to get the vaccine as they were having open clinic hours just for those affected. I didn't want a vaccine so I decided to just go to my doctor to get the Hepatitis A Antibody Test which tests for both past (IgG) and recent (IgM) exposure to Hepatitis. I paid $61 out-of-pocket for it and got the results back the next day. Both of my results were negative meaning that I have never been exposed to Hepatitis A in the past and therefore am not immune and that I do not have a current Hepatitis A infection from the berries. I could have opted for the vaccine after that, since I am not immune, but decided not to.

I did contact Marler Clark who is the attorney in charge of the Townsend Farms class action lawsuit. He is handling all the CA cases of people who got sick, as well as those who paid for either the Hepatitis A vaccine, immunoglobulin, or the antibody testing. I would like to at least get reimbursed the $61 that I paid for the antibody testing.

And as of today, I still hadn't been contacted by Costco. I did take my receipts to them last week and got a refund though for my 2 affected bags. But I just talked to my mom a few minutes ago and she said a letter from Costco addressed to me just arrived at her house today (she's the primary account owner). I had her open it and it said I had the affected berries. I'm having her send the letter to me.