PDA

View Full Version : quinoa pizza bites!! (gluten-free)

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
my DH found this recipe (quinoa pizza bites) and made it for dinner this evening! They were DELICIOUS. I initially had served myself 4 or 5, then went back for 3 more, then grabbed another two. SO YUMMY. DH made them all himself (with the kids "helping" :)) and he said it wasn't that hard to make.

http://onceamonthmom.com/quinoa-pizza-bites/

The only downside is that after they were done, the kids refused to eat them (LOL)..i know with DS he was afraid of the pepperoni being spicy (rolling eyes here), and maybe all the basil turned them off. But whatever. They had vitamix smoothie popsicle and that was that. We will definitely be making these again.They were a nice change from the typical crockpot chicken & sauce in a sauce over rice we've been having lately. anyway, just thought i'd share.

JustMe
05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow, these look great!

What do you think I should put in if I want to make them vegetarian, but dairy okay? Basically, what do you think I should substitute for the turkey pepperoni?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Wow, these look great!

What do you think I should put in if I want to make them vegetarian, but dairy okay? Basically, what do you think I should substitute for the turkey pepperoni?

hm, i don't know..do they make veg substitute for pepperoni? TBH, i think what made these great was the *cheese* and all the basil, and the tomato flavor that made it taste pizza-y. THe pepperoni added a nice flavor but wouldn't say it "made" it so i dont' think it would be too bad if they were taken out.

tmahanes
05-31-2013, 11:50 PM
We made these http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/01/cheesy-ham-and-broccoli-quinoa-bites.html and they were awesome! You could definitely leave out the meat and just use veggies. They were also good reheated!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

niccig
06-01-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm thinking with ham or canadian bacon these would be great for breakfast. I'm always on look out for breakfast dishes that can be frozen and then just heated as need it.

JustMe
06-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Do you think there would be any problems making these with regular sized muffin tins (not mega sized, but not mini either)? I don't have mini-sized and would love to not have to buy. Of course, I realize I would get less, but am not concerned about that--just if there would be a problem getting them to bake through and through or something along those lines. Thanks

mommyp
06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
These sound great, we're definitely going to try them!

JustMe - with no mini muffin pan, it might work to just shape mini-muffin size amounts on a cookie sheet and bake that way?

tmahanes
06-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Do you think there would be any problems making these with regular sized muffin tins (not mega sized, but not mini either)? I don't have mini-sized and would love to not have to buy. Of course, I realize I would get less, but am not concerned about that--just if there would be a problem getting them to bake through and through or something along those lines. Thanks

I think it would just take longer to cook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

wellyes
06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
I have been loving Once a Month Mom lately.

KonzaPrairie
06-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Do you think I could serve these cold? I'm hosting a playgroup at a park tomorrow and it's going to be hot. These look delicious and think they could work as picnic food if they would still taste good cold!

pastrygirl
06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Eating these right now. Thanks for posting! My kids liked them dipped in sauce, but they tried without sauce and now say they don't really like them. I used regular pepperoni and a pizza cheese blend, and they are 45 calories each. :)

KonzaPrairie
06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Just wanted to report back that I served them at our moms group picnic cold and they were a big hit!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Just wanted to report back that I served them at our moms group picnic cold and they were a big hit!

yay, so glad! sorry i idnd't get to reply earlier. my DH eats them cold often...but then again he'll eat ANYTHING straight from the fridge cold (pizza, pasta, burgers, etc).

anyway at Costco we got the big bag of quinoa so we are definitely going to make these again!