PDA

View Full Version : online IQ test?

Globetrotter
06-01-2013, 12:38 AM
DD is eager to know her IQ for some odd reason :D Is there a reliable online IQ test for teens? This is just to satisfy her curiosity.

vludmilla
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
No, there are not any reliable online IQ tests, in my opinion.

I give IQ tests as part of my job and I don't like to tell kids what their IQ score is. I don't think it is helpful information. I worry that a child's behavior will change in response to information about their IQ. There are studies that suggest that only 50% of our success in life is attributable to our IQ so instead I like to focus on cognitive strengths and weaknesses (along with compensatory or bypass strategies for the weaknesses) when I explain test results to a child. If my DD was asking about her IQ, I think I would try to figure out why/what she wants to know.

pinkmomagain
06-01-2013, 08:27 AM

I give IQ tests as part of my job and I don't like to tell kids what their IQ score is. I don't think it is helpful information. I worry that a child's behavior will change in response to information about their IQ. There are studies that suggest that only 50% of our success in life is attributable to our IQ so instead I like to focus on cognitive strengths and weaknesses (along with compensatory or bypass strategies for the weaknesses) when I explain test results to a child. If my DD was asking about her IQ, I think I would try to figure out why/what she wants to know.

I agree. My mom knew our IQ and did not tell us until we grown adults. She did not want it to affect our academic efforts.

daphne
06-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Do you know yours or your husband's? Maybe you could give her a ball park figure of one of those. It might be enough to satisfy some of her curiosity.

ahisma
06-01-2013, 09:26 AM

ITA. I knew my IQ as a kid and wish that I didn't. It wasn't that there was a problem with the number, it was the impact of knowing that was detrimental.

Globetrotter
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
She was talking about a kid at school who has a low IQ (not sure how she knows this!) and we got onto the topic and she was very eager to find out hers and asked how she could find out! I told her a psychologist would do it?? A prelim. test showed 140. I told her the online tests are not very reliable so just do it for fun but it doesn't mean much.
I think I'll just stick to that. She asked about mine and dh's. Dh's is definitely very high but I don't think they did IQ testing in India, so we would have no idea! I also moved from overseas and missed all that testing.

It's not a big deal - just curiosity.