PDA

View Full Version : Help - best sunburn treatment?

Twoboos
06-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Good mom award time! :(

I was in a rush and used a 50spf chemical spray sunscreen on DD1 before her softball game, even though I know better. I might as well have used nothing.

Now her arms are burned, possibly her face (but on that I used a 50spf physical sunblock stick) although it's so hot it's had to tell, she might just be flushed.

What's the best treatment? We already ran them under cool water. Aloe? Something else?

I'm so mad at myself.

BunnyBee
06-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Aloe vera gel

Black tea soak (clean your bathtub well immediately after if it's fiberglass!)

Corie
06-01-2013, 07:12 PM
My mom always used vinegar on us kids if we got a sunburn.

I just did a search on google about using vinegar for a sunburn
and there were lots of hits. I guess my mom was on to something!! :)

trentsmom
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
I've used Solarcaine spray (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000052XQK) before. It has lidocaine in it which dulls the pain. And since it's a spray, you don't have to touch the burn.

trentsmom
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
My mom always used vinegar on us kids if we got a sunburn.

I just did a search on google about using vinegar for a sunburn
and there were lots of hits. I guess my mom was on to something!! :)

I spent my childhood summers smelling like vinegar. A few years ago, one of my cousins told me that one of her earliest memories of me was that I smelled like salad!

crl
06-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Aloe Vera gel

Catherine

curiousgeorge
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Ibuprofen helps lessen the pain

LMPC
06-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Another vote for vinegar! You can put it in the fridge to cool it for added comfort.

AnnieW625
06-01-2013, 08:35 PM
I love Mary Kay's sunburn gel. If I were in a pinch though I would probably just go and get some solarcaine gel, but if you ever need to buy something at a Mary Kay party I highly rec. the sunburn gel.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I have very fair skin and freckles and so do both my girls. Motrin/tylenol to dull the pain followed by solarcain whenever it hurts for the first little bit until it doesn't hurt as bad.
THEN you can do aloe very gel, if you do it in the beginning oh boy does the pressure of having it spread out HURT.

You can also call your ped and request some silvadene if it's really bad. It's a painkiller and antibiotic cream available by prescription. I use it on really bad burns and it's wonderful!

squimp
06-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Noxzema is my favorite. Aloe Vera is good too but I love the cooling sensation of noxzema.

ahisma
06-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Whatever you put on it (aloe vera, lotion, etc.) - make sure there's no alcohol in it. It stings!

I like solocaine. Also, drinks lots and lots of water. Then drink some more.

Twoboos
06-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks all! I ended up with the Solarcaine since the store near us didn't have any aloe (huh?). I asked them to stock some to be prepared for my next parenting-fail. ;)

She's better today, I thought for sure one section of her back was going to peel but today it's not red at all. Back of the knees (OUCH!) seems to be the worst spot now. She was wearing shorts instead of the uniform pants, and burned through the socks!!

Stupid chemical spray. Totally useless.

(And trentsmom - I LOL'd at you smelling like salad!! :rotflmao: Never heard of using vinegar before but I will keep that in mind.)