PDA

View Full Version : Adopting a dog - advice?

ahisma
06-01-2013, 11:06 PM
We recently lost our toy poodle to IMHA, an autoimmune disease. She was a great fit for our family - allergy friendly for DH and great with the kids. We started the process of looking for another dog recently - although we had always considered a second dog so the process was pretty much in place:)

Because of allergies, poodles are a go-to breed for us. I'm wary of "doodles", etc. due to the allergy issue. We prefer to rescue, but poodles are pretty rare in local rescues and shelters.

My DD found a listing for a mini poodle on CL. The family is downsizing and rehoming their pets. (really??!?) They have a 4 yo mini poodle.

DH wants to go meet the dog. I'm hesitant of the whole CL pet rehoming scene. But, she doesn't seem to be a BYB (although the dog could be a BYB dog, as could a rescue dog). And, I suppose it's just one step before the shelter. Still...I don't know. Any BBB wisdom here?

trcy
06-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Moving is a VERY common reason for rehoming a pet. I have a friend that works with a large shelter and she sees it all of the time. I say go meet the dog. Good luck!

wellyes
06-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Lots and lots of people move and leave the dog behind. It's really shameful. "Downsizing" is probably code for moving to rental that doesn't allow pets. I'd definitely go and see if that pup is a good match for you.

jawilli4
06-02-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd go and check out the dog. While you are there, see if you can take her for a walk as per a suggestion by the Dog Whisperer. Also, I'd carefully do a temperament test on her. I found one on wikihow: http://www.wikihow.com/Temperament-Test-a-Dog. Good luck and I hope she works out.

westwoodmom04
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
We are in the process for looking for a new dog as well (and ultimately decided to go the breeder route as the breed we want is fairly rare) The new dog owner books always caution going the CL route because you won't have any verifiable info about the dog's health history. I would look at the dog but ask lots of questions and be skeptical. I do have a friend that got a puppy off CL. He is a nice dog with no health issues at the age of 1, but they totally misrepresented what the dog's breed was (told it was a beagle), turns out to be a border collie/hound mix, so way more energetic than they had anticipated.

It's too bad you are not on the east coast, there are a good number of poodles in the rescues here. Have you tried the local poodle breed clubs (AKC), the groups here seem to always have a few dogs available for rescue, not always listed on petfinder.

weech
06-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Definitely try local poodle rescues also.

I wouldn't be too weary of the rehoming thing. We got our first dog from a shelter during the recession because the family lost their home and couldn't bring dogs to where they had to live. It's pretty common.

If you're open to other breeds, take a look at miniature schnauzers. We have two and they're great with DS and "hypoallergenic" (DH and I both have allergies and they sleep in our bed).

doberbrat
06-02-2013, 11:40 PM
I got the sweetest, mellowest dog from CL. We were the 4th home by 18mo but he's here forever. Ask lots of questions and try to see him in his 'home' environment. Also ask for a copy of his medical history.

Make sure he looks healthy, moves properly - no strange gait etc. Sniff the house carefully.... if it smells of pee, you know he likely isnt housebroken.

Good luck!