PDA

View Full Version : What's the problem SLS?

trcy
06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Please don't flame me, I am totally clueless on the subject. It seems most natural hair products contain SLS. Kiss My Face seems to be the only shampoos without it. Are there any other shampoo options out there? Is SLS really that bad?

AnnieW625
06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Giovanni, L'Oreal's Ever____ shampoos, Yes to Carrots, Trader Joes (?), Bubble & Bee (although read the web page about using it first), and Pureology are all SLS free. If you have color treated hair from what I have heard it is smart to stay away from SLS. I am currently using the Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and it is okay. I used L'Oreal's Evercreme shampoo for a year without using conditioner and it worked okay, but I didn't think in the end it moisturized enough and the ends ofy hair were pretty brittle and I started having an issue with split ends.

I also still use Redken's All Soft and I kind of still prefer that, by I am trying to be healthy and try other alternatives.

trcy
06-02-2013, 04:39 PM
My hair is not colored treated...yet, but that is another thread for another day:) As far as health concerns for me and my family, are there? And if so, what are they?

wellyes
06-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Health risks, not really. Too harsh and drying for regular use on hair, yes.

daisymommy
06-02-2013, 09:58 PM
There are many natural products out there that are SLS free.
Here's a list of concerns with SLS products:

Irritation of the skin and eyes
Organ toxicity
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular changes
Possible mutations and cancer

Ick.

Sent from my iPad

aa2mama
06-02-2013, 10:11 PM
I can't speak to the health risks of SLS but I avoid it because it is very harsh on my skin. It gives me a rash that cracks my skin open.

wallawala
06-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Costco brand shampoo is also sulfate free (and gluten free if you should ever consider eating it...)

I am really unconcerned about the exposure risks so can't offer any info there, but LOVE it. Takes a few washes to get used to SLS free IMHO. It doesn't lather much so was initially unsatisfying. But man I have much better hair days with the Kirkland brand. I tried the L'Oreal first, and it was just ok...

The scent of the Kirkland is meh, not my style, but not very noticeable. I wash daily to every other day, and always use the conditioner too. I have very fine straight color treated hair -what we so delicately describe in the south as "hag hair". Since switching to the Kirkland SLS free, it is noticeably softer and volumizer products actually work. Will not go back to anything else....

Oh, and it's cheap... Did I mention I LOVE it???

wellyes
06-03-2013, 07:41 AM
There are many natural products out there that are SLS free.
Here's a list of concerns with SLS products:

Irritation of the skin and eyes
Organ toxicity
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular changes
Possible mutations and cancer

Ick.

Sent from my iPad
There are a few websites that say this. Others, including Snopes, that say the dangers of SLS are a myth or that it's confusion over dioxin versus dioxane.... I looked into this a bit when I switched to SLS free shampoo. All I really know is that my hair feels and looks better, and I went from 10 years of a mousy bob to having hair past my shoulders that I actually think is kinda pretty.

daisymommy
06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I understand that snopes and other highly mainstream websites say these fears are unfounded. But I don't exactly want to trust them with my health and that if my family. They are not exactly in the habit of being green or naturally minded.

Sent from my iPad