PDA

View Full Version : I failed the one hour glucose test too... :(

Nemesia
06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
My OB just called and I failed by 2 points (137). She wants me to take the 3 hour test.... ugh.

Tell me how bad it is so that I can prepare myself. I felt sick after drinking the glucola for the 1 hour test. I'm not looking forward to the 3 hour.

kaharris83
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
With my first I was 137 too. I passed the 3 hour no problem. Good luck!!

sarahsthreads
06-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry. :(

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon how bad it is, I'm scheduled to be at the lab at 8:45. I remember it being really awful 9 years ago with DD1, but then again, a lot of things about that pregnancy were much worse than with DD2 or this time around, so maybe it really wasn't all that bad?

I'm treating myself to a new Kindle book that's been on my wish list for months and I cast on a tiny baby sweater in fabulous yarn, so at least I'll be able to occupy myself with things I really enjoy and rarely get uninterrupted time to do!

Sarah

mommylamb
06-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I had to do it, and I failed it. I was most certainly GD when pregnant with DS2. I didn't think the drink for the 3 hour test was any worse than it was for the 1 hour test. It sucked to have to do it, but not nearly as much as being diabetic sucked for the next several months.

wencit
06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I had to do it, and I failed it. I was most certainly GD when pregnant with DS2. I didn't think the drink for the 3 hour test was any worse than it was for the 1 hour test. It sucked to have to do it, but not nearly as much as being diabetic sucked for the next several months.:yeahthat:

Word for word.

I wonder if there's a loose correlation between GD and enjoyment of the drink? :rotflmao: I thought it was absolutely disgusting while pregnant with DS1 and nearly hurled after drinking it (no GD), but thought it was fine with DS2 (GD).

OP, did you refrigerate before drinking it? I personally think it tasted slightly better when it was nice and chilled.

Good luck! I know lots of women who fail their 1-hour and then go on the pass the 3-hour, and hopefully you'll be one of them.

Nemesia
06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
OP, did you refrigerate before drinking it? I personally think it tasted slightly better when it was nice and chilled.

Good luck! I know lots of women who fail their 1-hour and then go on the pass the 3-hour, and hopefully you'll be one of them.

Yes, thankfully the lab did have it slightly chilled. I can't imagine drinking it warm.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm most likely going to do it tomorrow to get it over with.

sarahsthreads
06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, thankfully the lab did have it slightly chilled. I can't imagine drinking it warm.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm most likely going to do it tomorrow to get it over with.

Well good luck to us both, then!

Sarah :)

Nemesia
06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Well good luck to us both, then!

Yes, good luck to you!! I'll be thinking of you!

scrooks
06-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Ugh...just thinking of the drink for the one hour is making my stomach turn....I am so sorry you guys have to go through the 3 hour!:(

sarahsthreads
06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
OK that was not only as bad as I remembered, but actually quite a bit worse. It's been 9 years since I took it the first time, and my aging body did *not* appreciate the giant hit of glucose following a fast. It didn't help that the *only* flavor they had was fruit punch (ick) and it was *warm* (double-ick).

I had to ask if there was a place to lay down about 40 minutes into it because I felt a bit faint. How embarrassing! I only managed a few rows on my knitting and a few pages in my new kindle book. So much for trying to make the best of it.

I just hope that doesn't mean I failed it miserably. :( I imagine I'll know one way or the other at my midwife appointment on Thursday.

Sarah

georgiegirl
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry it was so awful. I hope you passed though.

Nemesia
06-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh, that sounds just awful! How are you feeling now?

I fasted and went to the lab 15 minutes before they opened. There were already 5 people waiting in line ahead of me. They finally called me up to the window at 7:30 to say they couldn't find my orders, which my dr sent electronically, and because my OB's office wasn't open yet, they couldn't do anything without the orders. So, I went home. Ugh!

Hope you passed, Sarah!

sarahsthreads
06-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Oh, that sounds just awful! How are you feeling now?

I fasted and went to the lab 15 minutes before they opened. There were already 5 people waiting in line ahead of me. They finally called me up to the window at 7:30 to say they couldn't find my orders, which my dr sent electronically, and because my OB's office wasn't open yet, they couldn't do anything without the orders. So, I went home. Ugh!

Hope you passed, Sarah!

Oh, that's awful. :( I needed to make an "appointment" with the lab (really just notify them that I was coming in to do this test, since it's timed) so I knew for sure they had my lab orders and everything. They actually took me right in ahead of the rest of the very full waiting room (oh, the glares I got) for my fasting draw and to drink the glucola. Is that an option for you?

I feel OK now, but still kind of off - sleepy and headachy.

I had thought ahead and put a packet of nuts & fruit from Starbucks (cashews, almonds, dried cranberries & blueberries) in my purse, so as soon as I walked out of the lab I broke that out. Protein + a bit of sugar (from the fruit) and I felt human enough to go out to lunch.

I hope I passed too, though I really am nervous that it made me feel as badly as it did...