PDA

View Full Version : Which park do you go to first?

KrisM
06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
My gut says to go to Magic Kingdom the first day or the first full day. But, it's a weekend, so likely more crowded and we'd be better off waiting until Monday. What do you do? Do the kids just want to hit Magic Kingdom regardless of how busy it is?

hillview
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
how long are you going for (# days)?

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
My gut says MK too since it's the iconic place. But, Epcot would be my plan 2.

acmom
06-03-2013, 08:57 PM
We actually haven't done MK first on any of our trips. We usually do Epcot on our arrival day (usually a 1/2 day) bc we can hit a few rides for the kids, walk through the countries leisurely (maybe with a beer in hand for the grownups and fun snack and/ nap in the stroller for the kids) and then have a nice dinner.

Our last trip we did Epcot the first day and then HS on our 2nd day with a character meal and some pool time. That day was supposed to be a really busy day for MK and I couldn't get any ADRs we wanted there that day. We did MK on our 3rd, 5th and 1/2 of the 6th which was departure day. AK was day 4. It worked out well and the kids were so excited for the whole trip that they were happy with whatever we were doing that day.

KrisM
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
how long are you going for (# days)?

We'll probably get there Saturday morning and leave 8 days later on Sunday. If we really think we need more days, we'll pull them for a day of school and come Friday instead. It's our only trip as well.

hillview
06-03-2013, 09:11 PM
since you are going that long I'd go to another park if the park charts say MK will be busy/packed. You have plenty of time to hit a MK 2-3 times if that is what the crew wants to do.

scrooks
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
We did MK on our first day (a Sunday) because I felt like I had to ...it's the MK after all! I regret it because it was crowded (and we were only like a 5 on the crowd calendar). The kids were overwhelmed and we only lasted like half a day.

megs4413
06-03-2013, 11:16 PM
i've never done MK on the first day. my kids have never minded. we did DHS 1st day the first time and AK first day last time. I go by the crowd calendar.

infocrazy
06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
We did Epcot first. I felt like it was a good practice day.

KrisM
06-03-2013, 11:33 PM
This is great to know. I will plan on a non-MK day for the first 1-2 days and then get there when it's less crowded.

BayGirl2
06-04-2013, 01:12 AM
We did AK our first day and made it to EMH since we were fresh. Second day was DHS and third day did MK. The rest of the week was Epcot and MK. We could see the MK from our room but didn't mind waiting.

egoldber
06-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Well, I'll be the odd one out. We *always* do the MK first, for a couple reasons. One, to us it kind of defines a WDW trip, so we do it first. I have honestly never looked at a crowd calendar when planning a visit. We always get there early and leave when it starts to get unbearably crowded, typically after the parade. Also, I find the MK very draining. So I prefer to do it once and do it well when I am rested because I tend to get more tired, footsore, and cranky as our WDW week goes on. :)

123LuckyMom
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
We also did MK first despite it being the highest of all the parks on the crowd calendar. We knew we were going to have two days at MK plus an extra day to play with, so we didn't worry too much about fitting everything in, and to me, MK is iconic Disney and MUST be the first park! We also took a break in the middle of the day.

gummibear
06-04-2013, 10:38 AM
We are going by the crowd calendar, and doing AK first (Sunday). We plan to keep it a light day.

It'll be our test day, and also DS seems to think it will be boring. By going to MK last, I figure DS will keep his interest in the other parks. I'd hate to go to MK first and then have DS talking about MK nonstop on AK/EP/HS days.

It's funny to read the posts of people going to MK first, because that's exactly what the guy Josh at easywdw says in his crowd calendar description - people like to start their trip at MK first. So, to avoid crowds, do the opposite, ha.

boolady
06-04-2013, 11:33 AM
When we went with DD a few years ago, we didn't, but I would, if we wanted to. We started at AK because we were doing the character breakfast at Tusker House as a start to the trip.

acmom
06-04-2013, 12:13 PM
You can do a fun character meal that you know your kids will be excited about I kick off your trip. There are lots of choices for those both on various parks and at different resorts. That way there would be an exciting start but you wouldn't have to go to MK on a bad crowd day.

We did this the last 2 trips...once starting with a breakfast at chef mickeys on our first full day and once witha dinner with the princesses in Epcot on put arrival day.

KrisM
06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
You can do a fun character meal that you know your kids will be excited about I kick off your trip. There are lots of choices for those both on various parks and at different resorts. That way there would be an exciting start but you wouldn't have to go to MK on a bad crowd day.

We did this the last 2 trips...once starting with a breakfast at chef mickeys on our first full day and once witha dinner with the princesses in Epcot on put arrival day.

That is what I was thinking we'll do. I imagine we'll be tired, as we are 1.5 hours from the airport, so it'll likely be an early day to get there by early afternoon. Do a park with a meal and call it good.

KrisM
06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Well, I'll be the odd one out. We *always* do the MK first, for a couple reasons. One, to us it kind of defines a WDW trip, so we do it first. I have honestly never looked at a crowd calendar when planning a visit. We always get there early and leave when it starts to get unbearably crowded, typically after the parade. Also, I find the MK very draining. So I prefer to do it once and do it well when I am rested because I tend to get more tired, footsore, and cranky as our WDW week goes on. :)

We also did MK first despite it being the highest of all the parks on the crowd calendar. We knew we were going to have two days at MK plus an extra day to play with, so we didn't worry too much about fitting everything in, and to me, MK is iconic Disney and MUST be the first park! We also took a break in the middle of the day.

If you don't look at the crowd or go by the crowd calendar, is it because you go at a less busy time of year? Or because it's super busy and will be packed regardless? The first day we plan is currently listed as 9 or 10 at MK, but by Monday it's down to a 5 of 10. I keep reading here that going on a 9 day is crazy, especially if we don't get there until 2pm or so.

egoldber
06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I guess we always go at less crowded times of year. I don't know that I've ever been when it's that crowded. But I don't really know what a 5 means vs. a 9 since I have never looked at a crowd calendar.

We typically go in late January or early November when we have 4 day school break weekends that we extend into a week. I have also been in late April (after spring break), late May and early July.

bnme
06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I would definitely avoid going on a 9 or 10 day if it is possible. Especially if it is your first day and you are not super-familiar with the parks. We usually go in early December when there are low crowds – but there is usually a 9 or 10 day at each park at least once during our stay. Generally MK on the weekend or if there is a special event. Have you checked the crowd calendar on easyWDW? I look at both that at touringplans. I find neither to be 100% accurate, but it gives you a good feel for what is going on.

KrisM
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I would definitely avoid going on a 9 or 10 day if it is possible. Especially if it is your first day and you are not super-familiar with the parks. We usually go in early December when there are low crowds – but there is usually a 9 or 10 day at each park at least once during our stay. Generally MK on the weekend or if there is a special event. Have you checked the crowd calendar on easyWDW? I look at both that at touringplans. I find neither to be 100% accurate, but it gives you a good feel for what is going on.

Unless I'm missing it, easyWDW doesn't put them out until about 7 months ahead, so I have a few more months to wait. We're going April 2014.

Mermanaid
06-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Last time we went we arrived in Orlando about mid-afternoon and then went to the Poly via Magic Express to check in. Spent a bit of time exploring the Poly and went to downtown Disney to explore and eat dinner (Earl of Sandwich). It was a nice leisurely night then we got up the next day and started the park madness. We went the first week of Dec last time and the calendar was in our favor so we started off at the iconic MK.

BayGirl2
06-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Unless I'm missing it, easyWDW doesn't put them out until about 7 months ahead, so I have a few more months to wait. We're going April 2014.

You are far out for April crowd calendars, but you could look at April 2013 and adjust for the holiday weeks.

Josh on EasyWDW has a good description in some of his post about the difference between a 5 and a 9-10. There's not much difference between 4-7 ratings. But once you get up to 8-10 the difference is more drastic. He sometimes posts pictures of the same spot with different crowd levels. So if you can go on a 5 day vs. a 10 day I would 100% follow that. If its a less busy time of year it matters less, but the early morning strategy is always reliable.

I've been to both MK and DL on different crowd level days and I totally think it makes a difference after about 10-11 am. We don't leave the park for breaks so we use the crowd calendar to our advantage as much as possible.

klwa
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
I go to whichever park fits best for us that trip. We've done Epcot & DHS first the last two trips, with MK coming later in the trip. On our next trip, we're planning on me & DDs going to MK first, just because it works out better. (DH & DS are heading over to IOA.) But, I always try to END my trip with MK. :)

KrisM
06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
You are far out for April crowd calendars, but you could look at April 2013 and adjust for the holiday weeks.

Josh on EasyWDW has a good description in some of his post about the difference between a 5 and a 9-10. There's not much difference between 4-7 ratings. But once you get up to 8-10 the difference is more drastic. He sometimes posts pictures of the same spot with different crowd levels. So if you can go on a 5 day vs. a 10 day I would 100% follow that. If its a less busy time of year it matters less, but the early morning strategy is always reliable.

I've been to both MK and DL on different crowd level days and I totally think it makes a difference after about 10-11 am. We don't leave the park for breaks so we use the crowd calendar to our advantage as much as possible.

We are going April 5-13. Would you think the week of April 7, 2013 would be similar? Not tied to Easter and still the same time. I guess it's a place to start.

It seems that his calendars are tough for planning, if you want to use them and make ADRs 180 days out. They seem to come out just over 6 months out, so if you're travelling at the beginning of the month, it's a tight timing to make the plans.

I'll look for the pictures. sounds interesting!

BayGirl2
06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
We are going April 5-13. Would you think the week of April 7, 2013 would be similar? Not tied to Easter and still the same time. I guess it's a place to start.

It seems that his calendars are tough for planning, if you want to use them and make ADRs 180 days out. They seem to come out just over 6 months out, so if you're travelling at the beginning of the month, it's a tight timing to make the plans.

I'll look for the pictures. sounds interesting!

Sounds like a good place to start.
I think EasyWDW just released Dec, which is 6-7 months out. So if you keep watching you should get the info in time. The only decision you can really start to make now is where you think you'll want ADRs, then when the calendar comes out start dropping them into the right dates.

At least that's how I'd do it. I haven't planned that far out before. My WDW trip was planned 4 months out because I was speaking at a conference. DL only allows ressies 3 months out and there are no crowd calendars. So I've never tried to do to almost a year ahead.

egoldber
06-06-2013, 02:40 PM
We also generally plan our trips well under 6 months in advance. For ADRs, I've always just taken what was available when we generally thought we'd be there. It's much easier now that the ADR system is on-line!

KrisM
06-06-2013, 06:52 PM
It sounds like you're able to do pretty well getting the ADRs under 6 months. I had been reading that some of them book right away, so I need to be ready on that 180 day date! I'm glad it's not that stressful :)

ray7694
06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
We did MK, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, AK, MK.

If you do MK two days you can hit all the stuff you missed. Honestly I was just there in June and if its busy at one it is busy at all. I didn't notice a big difference. Just get to the parks early and ride your favorites first.

AnnieW625
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Just as an FYI but Easter is super late in 2014, April 20th so the numbers for this year could not really impact the calendar for next year unless school districts aren't going to have spring break immediately following Easter.

KrisM
06-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Just as an FYI but Easter is super late in 2014, April 20th so the numbers for this year could not really impact the calendar for next year unless school districts aren't going to have spring break immediately following Easter.

I know. That's what's making it hard, since there is no exact comparison week to this year. I'm happy our spring break isn't tied to Easter! Ours always includes the first Monday in April.

megs4413
06-17-2013, 11:43 AM
realistically, the crowd calendars won't do you any good this far out. I think there are some general trends that will, though. MK is more crowded on weekends and on typical arrival (or first park days) like Friday or Monday. If you are arriving on those days, I would not do MK first park. Generally, the reverse park order is recommended for crowd avoidance. Most people do epcot last, so do epcot first. Then, do DHS, AK, and MK. these general suggestions can help you nail down some ADRs even this far out.

What are you trying to get for ADRs? That will also make a difference. Because they have moved to securing with a credit card for the hardest to get ADRs, you get more availability. I, generally, have only a couple ADRs that are "time significant." This is usually a character breakfast and a firework-view included dinner. That also means, though, that they are not usually in a park, so crowd calendars don't matter for planning them. The ONLY one I've ever made that was in-park was CRT and if it had ended up on a bad crowd day we would have just made do because the ressie was so important to me. I do not regret it! The other one I just got lucky with with Tusker House in the early am to get in the park early.

anyway, what are you going for? maybe we can help you gauge how worried about being married to the park you should be...

KrisM
06-17-2013, 10:27 PM
realistically, the crowd calendars won't do you any good this far out. I think there are some general trends that will, though. MK is more crowded on weekends and on typical arrival (or first park days) like Friday or Monday. If you are arriving on those days, I would not do MK first park. Generally, the reverse park order is recommended for crowd avoidance. Most people do epcot last, so do epcot first. Then, do DHS, AK, and MK. these general suggestions can help you nail down some ADRs even this far out.

What are you trying to get for ADRs? That will also make a difference. Because they have moved to securing with a credit card for the hardest to get ADRs, you get more availability. I, generally, have only a couple ADRs that are "time significant." This is usually a character breakfast and a firework-view included dinner. That also means, though, that they are not usually in a park, so crowd calendars don't matter for planning them. The ONLY one I've ever made that was in-park was CRT and if it had ended up on a bad crowd day we would have just made do because the ressie was so important to me. I do not regret it! The other one I just got lucky with with Tusker House in the early am to get in the park early.

anyway, what are you going for? maybe we can help you gauge how worried about being married to the park you should be...

What am I going for? A great trip that hits what the kids/we want as much as possible. We have no plans to go back any time soon. If we do a second trip, it would be in 5-6 years, so kids would be in a different stage completely. DD still loves princesses. DS1 loves thrill rides and scary things. DS2 is very much Disney Junior or playhouse Disney, whichever it is now. I expect we'll do a few character meals. I'm really not sure which. I keep coming up with ideas and then changing my mind. Cinderella is DD's least favorite princess, so I'm not sure if CRT is a must, but the castle might do it for her. These are also the reasons we decided we should really tell the kids!

We don't know where we are staying. There are too many choices! We are really just trying to comprehend everything there is and start making some choices and decisions.

megs4413
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
What am I going for? A great trip that hits what the kids/we want as much as possible. We have no plans to go back any time soon. If we do a second trip, it would be in 5-6 years, so kids would be in a different stage completely. DD still loves princesses. DS1 loves thrill rides and scary things. DS2 is very much Disney Junior or playhouse Disney, whichever it is now. I expect we'll do a few character meals. I'm really not sure which. I keep coming up with ideas and then changing my mind. Cinderella is DD's least favorite princess, so I'm not sure if CRT is a must, but the castle might do it for her. These are also the reasons we decided we should really tell the kids!

We don't know where we are staying. There are too many choices! We are really just trying to comprehend everything there is and start making some choices and decisions.

Oh I just meant were there specific ADRs you were "going for." If you need any recommendations the ladies here are great with them! CRT really isn't all about Cindy. all the princesses (Ok not all...but most!) are there so I wouldn't let that run you off. Akershus is another princess meal. I'd skip 1900 Park Fare if your DD is not a Cindy fan.

Anyway, if we can help at all, just ask! I know you're going to have a good time. The planning really is overwhelming, but you'll get there!