PDA

View Full Version : Milestone grandparent birthday: photo of grandkids or multi-generation?

jent
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
My Dad turns 70 at the end of this month. The whole family is getting together at a beach resort for a long weekend to celebrate. I've been trying to come up with a worthy milestone gift, and I like the idea of a family photo.

So, there are two ways to do this: hire a photographer, and give him the gift of a famliy photo session at the beach. Or, get the grandkids into a studio asap and present him with the finished product at his birthday.

Both options have their merits and drawbacks, and sister is leaning one way, I'm the other. So I'm leaving it to the ladies (and gentlemen) of the BBB. (Well, ok, this is non-binding; my sister pretty much usually ends up with the final word.)

Poll coming!

ETA: I just quickly surfed the webs for some examples to add to this post, and I started to panic about our photo becoming fodder for tha Awkward Family Photos website... so maybe just the kids

ahisma
06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Whole family. My IL's do this every few years and they both love it. They usually have specific requests that I never would have anticipated.

I'd just put it out there that I refuse to kiss DH in front of the lens. I agreed to that ONCE and MIL blew the damn thing up and hung it in the cottage entryway.

Here's a link to our most recent group shot. I'm not at all impressed with the photographer and don't love it, but it's not embarrassing:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahismah/7947216238/in/photostream/

jent
06-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd just put it out there that I refuse to kiss DH in front of the lens. I agreed to that ONCE and MIL blew the damn thing up and hung it in the cottage entryway.

Gah, that would drive me nuts! Don't see my parents doing that though...

Thanks for sharing your family... nice pic!

larig
06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Multigenerational. As a genealogist, these are far more special and rare, and someday your kids will appreciate them too.

curiousgeorge
06-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Do the whole family at the beach!!

We just did this last year for my mom's 70th. Surprised her with a photo session, also at the beach. (We had done it for her 65th also and she loved it.)

We do the whole extended family. We also did her with the grandkids and some of each family on their own as well, so we covered all bases.

She then picked out a 9-opening frame from PB and I ordered the pictures (our photographer includes the photos on CD and rights to print) from Costco and filled the frame for her (she picked the pictures). She has one from each of her 65th and 70th birthdays and truly just loves them. This past year she even used the whole family one on her Christmas card and did photo cards for the first time. You could include a "certificate" for something like that as well if you want.

KrisM
06-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Whole family.

We did one for my parents in 2006 and need to do another so DS2 is in it. It's their 45th anniversary this year, so maybe that's a good enough reason. I'm not always happy with how I look in photos, but I do think it's important to be in them. So, don't worry about awkward family photos!

azzeps
06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Whole family at the beach. Hire a fantastic photographer. It will be a treasure.

theriviera
06-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Another vote for the whole family. We are doing that for my mom's big birthday this year. We will also be on vacation together at the beach.

jent
06-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Wow, it's unanimous so far! I too think the family photo at the beach will be amazing. I'll work on my sister a bit more.

So, I know there are a lot of New Englanders on this board. We're going to Cape Cod. Anyone know a great photographer on the cape?

indigo99
06-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm a photographer and live near a destination vacation spot so I have been hired to shoot some reunion-type family photos. I usually suggest getting a package that includes the files. I go and spend a few hours getting shots of not just the whole group but also each family and individuals of the kids or any other groupings that they want. I often get some candids of the kids playing too. Usually, each of the families will contribute a little to the cost and then they all can get copies of the files and print whatever they want.

gymnbomb
06-04-2013, 10:43 AM
We did family photos for Christmas presents one year. My parents made the arrangements and had whole family (in this case just me, parents, aunt, and grandparents as we're it for immediate family) photographed in every possible combination. They bought prints for everyone and it was great. I'd imagine that doing it on the beach with all the grandkids would be even better! You, your sister, and the grandkids will treasure those memories in the future. When we did it we bought prints and then scanned them, but I do really like the idea of getting the files. That's actually what we did for our wedding photos last year instead of getting prints and it was perfect for us.