PDA

View Full Version : Exercising in the A.M.

alootikki
06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I am proud of myself - for the first time, I got up at 5:45 am and went for a run before DH left for work (and the kids were still sleeping). It was great - perfect cool weather, and I feel so productive! Would love to keep this up...

If you work out in the morning, what do you eat beforehand? I had a glass of milk and went right out - but doesn't seem like a "power breakfast" to help me increase mileage.

theriviera
06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Way to go! When wot ft, I worked out in the morning. I never eat before but if I needed it I would have a cup of coffee.

pb&j
06-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Milk is actually pretty good power food - it's got protein, carbs, and electrolytes - as long as you can tolerate it. I think I'm becoming a little lactose intolerant in my old age as I can no longer use chocolate milk as my recovery drink (best recovery drink ever, if your tummy doesn't mind).

I typically do a little cereal and a spoonful of peanut butter before a morning run. A lot of people can't tolerate food prior to a workout, and for shorter workouts/runs that's fine. But you need some fuel on board prior to a longer run.

almostmom
06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I work out in the morning before work, but I don't eat anything beforehand. I'm usually doing an hour-long workout video, but hunger hasn't been an issue. If I did, I might eat a mango or a banana or something (when I used to run more, I'd eat half the mango before, and half after as a treat!).

I used to wake up hungry and needing to eat as soon as I woke, but I don't have that feeling anymore.

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm a night owl so I've given up on early AM workouts. :). But, I don't eat first even with my 9am workout.

ZeeBaby
06-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Good for you. I am trying to start working out at 5:45 as well. I try to eat a banana before I work out if I am doing it first thing in the am.

hillview
06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
that early Milk is a great idea. When i did a 600 am bootcamp I did nothing or milk. I now do a 830 crossfit WOD and have 2 hard boiled eggs. NICE WORK!!

cono0507
06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Before bootcamp, usually I don't eat.
Before a morning run of over 3 miles or so or before swim workout, I'll have half or whole bagel (depends on how long I'll be out) with peanut butter.

lorinick
06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I am proud of myself - for the first time, I got up at 5:45 am and went for a run before DH left for work (and the kids were still sleeping). It was great - perfect cool weather, and I feel so productive! Would love to keep this up...

If you work out in the morning, what do you eat beforehand? I had a glass of milk and went right out - but doesn't seem like a "power breakfast" to help me increase mileage.

I work out at 5:30am for the last 4 weeks. I just started eating a half of a breakfast bar. I love working out in the am before the kids get up and before husband leaves the house. 6:30 and workout done. Congrats to you!! I can't believe I get up at 4:50 to go.