PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Sensitivity and Going to the Beach

marymoo86
06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
We are head out to the beach this week and I would love to each some fresh seafood. Prior to getting pregnant I had a series of 3 increasingly worsening interactions with shrimp prepared different ways. All gastro distress issues - no hives, swelling etc. I haven't eaten shrimp since and didn't go see an allergist prior to becoming pregnant.

To be safe, should I just avoid all shellfish? I think I might have had scallops with no reaction after that. Don't want to do anything silly but would like to enjoy some seafood if possible. My favorite would be scallops, oysters, crab. I did read that most people with a shellfish allergy react to shimp, crab, lobster - crustaceans while mollusks are typically fine.

WWYD - stick to fish or try the scallops?

sarahsthreads
06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't know...I think I'd stay away from shellfish entirely, just to be safe. I'd stick with fish, though being not-a-fan of scallops I don't know how they're classified?

Sarah :)

marymoo86
06-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I don't know...I think I'd stay away from shellfish entirely, just to be safe. I'd stick with fish, though being not-a-fan of scallops I don't know how they're classified?

they are identified as mollusks

Nemesia
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM

I agree with Sarah about staying away from shellfish. I'm not sure about the scallops... maybe try a few and see how your body reacts?

Zukini
06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
If you do decide to try it, make sure to at least have some Benadryl on hand to help curb any potential reactions.

rin
06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I would definitely check with an allergist, or at a bare minimum keep some Benadryl on hand. That said, my grandmother is allergic to shrimp, but not to any other shellfish. She loves lobster, crab, & scallops, and to my knowledge has not had any problems with cross-contamination. She lives near the ocean and has seafood regularly.

bostonsmama
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I would also consult with an allergist to see if gastro intestinal upset from eating shrimp can be a common reaction of a shellfish allergy and not it having been cooked incorrectly. Shrimp (crustaceans) do contain a lot of contaminants and need to be cooked thoroughly. If you're having diarrhea, I don't know if Benadryl would help. You'd have to ask a doctor. I know hystamine responses can take the form of gastro-intestinal upset, but I'd be all over that. Shellfish are so yummy that I'd want to know. :)