PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Nutella (a cautionary tale)

anonomom
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I like Nutella, but I'm thrilled with its nutritional profile. Too much sugar and added fat. So I found a good recipe online for a healthier version and gave it a try.

The good news? It's faaaaaabulous. I mean, even better than the original. Swoon-worthy, really.

The bad news? A jar of premade Nutella lasts me a few months. I've eaten the entire batch of the homemade stuff in three days. I'm pretty sure my gluttony cancels out any virtue I might possibly feel for making my own.

(at least I used a lot of fruit as dippers. That helps, right?)

(recipe here: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/diyboston/2013/03/easy_homemade_nutella_from_americas_test_kitchens_ diy_cookbook.html)

elizabethkott
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, crap. Now I'm going to have to try this.
And yes, fruit as dippers does make it better. ;)

sunshine873
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I was dumbfounded last night when DH asked me, "What is Nutella?" :confused: Looks like this might be a good way to educate him.

KpbS
06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
America's Test Kitchen? Say no more!

And an added bonus, it's dairy-free!! :bighand:
It looks awesome.

katydid1971
06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks (I think ;)) Just pinned it

oneplustwo
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Ha ha, I won't even tell you how fast I have gone through a mega-sized jar of Nutella from Costco; let's just say it's a LOT closer to 3 days than the 1 month you mentioned for the store-bought stuff. A loooooot closer. Which means I'd probably go through the homemade stuff within hours. Eek. Look at how dark and chocolatey it is in that picture!!

Seitvonzu
06-04-2013, 07:57 PM
i need that whole book. crap on a cracker!

MamaMolly
06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh great. Now I'm going to have to go buy a food processor. Sigh, the sacrifices I make...

anonomom
06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Oh great. Now I'm going to have to go buy a food processor. Sigh, the sacrifices I make...

I wish the BBB had a "like" button. This made me giggle.

Momit
06-04-2013, 08:11 PM
One day I'm going to lock myself in the bedroom and smear this stuff on the Pioneer Woman monkey muffins! :)

AnnieW625
06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Ha ha, I won't even tell you how fast I have gone through a mega-sized jar of Nutella from Costco; let's just say it's a LOT closer to 3 days than the 1 month you mentioned for the store-bought stuff. A loooooot closer. Which means I'd probably go through the homemade stuff within hours. Eek. Look at how dark and chocolatey it is in that picture!!

:yeahthat: I don't even buy it anymore. I used to buy it for just making [url=http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chocolate-hazelnut-ravioli-recipe/index.html[/url]nutella wontons, which I make about 2x a year, but then I had to buy some to test DD2 for tree nut allergies and all of a sudden it was like crack in our houses. We all love it.

edurnemk
06-04-2013, 08:32 PM

:yeahthat: I think opening this thread was a baaaaaad idea

musicalgrl
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
One day I'm going to lock myself in the bedroom and smear this stuff on the Pioneer Woman monkey muffins! :)

I love it...that's genius!:bighand:

twowhat?
06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Hmmm can you make it in a Vitamix???

doberbrat
06-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I think I agree with just about every comment made above ;)

For a funny story, recently at BJs they had nutella as the sample. EVERY Time we have gone to BJs since, dd2 asks me where the 'nutella man' is.