PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: ebags shipping restrictions??

Globetrotter
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM
UPDATE:

So I got it and there is a note in the box saying
California Proposition 65 warning

This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

This is the same warning you see all over houseware stores, esp. near the pottery. The leather does have a very strong smell so I'm letting it air out. I'm not sure if this explains the shipping prohibition by ebags as I was able to get it shipped here via a different company. Also, this brand is sold in B&M stores in CA, but maybe with warnings?

Anyway, that's my best guess for the restriction.

--------------

I ordered something from ebags and got a cancellation due to brand restrictions to CA!!! What the??? This was to be a graduation present and I searched high and low for it (needless to say :)). UGH

Due to brand restrictions, we are unable to ship the Budd Leather product(s) to you. This particular brand has delivery limitations into the state of California. This Budd Leather item(s) has been cancelled on your order. If you used PayPal for your purchase, you will be refunded through PayPal. If a credit card was used for the transaction, you will not be billed for the cancelled item(s).
-----------------------------
Have you heard of this?

NCGrandma
06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
No, I've never heard of anything like that, which prompted me to look at the Budd Leather website. Their dealer locator shows about 20 dealers in California -- maybe they've all banded together to keep online retailers from undercutting them?

Globetrotter
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Must be!

connor_mommy
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
No, I've never heard of anything like that, which prompted me to look at the Budd Leather website. Their dealer locator shows about 20 dealers in California -- maybe they've all banded together to keep online retailers from undercutting them?

Shouldn't be. I buy Timbuk2 all the time from ebags all the time and they are in SF.

KrisM
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Shouldn't be. I buy Timbuk2 all the time from ebags all the time and they are in SF.

I don't see that Timbuk2 is made by Budd Leather. Are they?

Momit
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Do they use some kind of dyes or chemicals that are illegal in CA? I know they have a lot of crazy laws about potentially harmful substances.

Globetrotter
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
But they are sold in brick and mortar stores in CA, so that can't be it.

In all these years, I have never encountered this!! I tried ordering from a different source, fully expecting a cancellation notice. Let's see.

Momit
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Now I'm intrigued. That same "due to brand restrictions..." verbiage appears on other websites selling Budd Leather, including eBay. How strange. Curious what you find out, OP.

Globetrotter
06-06-2013, 03:15 AM
I got another email from ebags:

The following brands have delivery limitations and we are not able to ship them into the state of California: Budd Leather, Clava American, Fumir, Inc and TOKYOBAY, Inc.

-----

Oddly enough, I was able to order it from another out of state source. I had expected it to be cancelled and never got a shipping confirmation so looked it up online and.. it shipped!!

Globetrotter
06-14-2013, 02:33 AM
update in OP