PDA

View Full Version : Are all 6yos potty mouthed?

MamaMolly
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Should probably go into the BP but heavens to mercy Lula has developed QUITE a potty mouth recently. She's also quite fond of belching like a frat boy. :irked: Please, please please tell me this is a phase.

hillview
06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
welll SO not sure they outgrow it (DH STILL finds it amusing) but they do learn to know their audience :)

DSs with DH will be totally potty mouthed but everyone BUT DS2 knows it isn't ok around mommy or in public.

mom3boys
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
DS is 6 and I've noticed his potty mouth has gotten much worse since he started to take the bus to school (i.e., spend a few minutes time with some older boys). Worse, he's passed it on to DS2, who is not even 5!

It's gotten so bad, I told them I'm going to charge them a nickel every time I hear them say a certain word (fart). So it's quieted down a little around me but I'm sure DS's are using it when I'm not around! I can only assume it will get worse, not better, especially as they start using actual swear words . .

moosemama
06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep - except DS is in French Immersion so now his potty talk is in French (since he knows we don't approve of potty talk). It's actually pretty amusing (though we don't tell him that). Who knew that potty talk could sound classy if it was said in French! We did tell him that potty talk is only for the bathroom and that helped things quite a bit (though he spends more time in the bathroom now!).

trales
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
It is so bad, our friends have a cock a poo - Everytime we go over DD asks what kind of dog it is and erupts in she said pooh laughter. We try not to make a big deal, but it is driving me nuts.

Mikey0709
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately the potty mouth phase for us progressed WORSE in elementary school. Truly didn't expect my son to learn the F word the first week of first grade on the bus - - probably from the older kids.

HOnestly i would l love to have the days back when the F word was FART!

How fast they grow up.....

MamaSnoo
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
My, word....all I hear about is poop, fart, and booty.

And the belching....DD (5 yo) has really figured out that mommy hates that, and she does it just to bug me!

scrooks
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
My, word....all I hear about is poop, fart, and booty.

And the belching....DD (5 yo) has really figured out that mommy hates that, and she does it just to bug me!

Ditto this...DD and DS feed off eachother...they think they are hilarious! I just ignore it.

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 01:06 PM
In a word-yes. But by potty mouthed I mean every comment is about poop or pee. The true 4-letter words I don't expect to hear until high school. :D

My 9yo has outgrown it so maybe there is hope.

Melaine
06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I have to say my girls do not do that (yet) but I think it's just because they haven't been around it much.

bisous
06-05-2013, 02:42 PM
You know, my boys are not. Well, I have a 9yo who never went through that phase (but he's a quirky kid) and an almost 6 yo and well, he hasn't entered that phase yet. I don't see that happening though. They aren't permitted to talk that way at school and they don't talk that way at home. Not only that but my 5yo is the language police. The other day I said that I "hated" something (something like stinky laundry, lol) and he said, "hate is a strong word". He gets that phrase from school, lol. So according to my kids *I* have the "potty" mouth.

elektra
06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
6yo and 4yo are definitely into the potty talk. I am really not sure where it comes from. DS is worse- I thought it might be a boy thing. Although DD has her fair share too. It gets worse when she is tired. It's like she wants to be funny but is too tired to think of anything original.

mommylamb
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
We have our fair share of potty mouth in our house with my nearly 6 yo DS1. He even delights in saying words like butt because our house rule is to use tush or bum, not butt. Though, I think he realizes that booty will not be tolerated at all. Which makes things like pirates booty very funny because he gets a pass on the word.

School has definitely been a rude awakening for us in this way though. DS1 is just around a lot of kids with older siblings, plus he rides the bus with kids as old as 12. Earlier this year, we had this little incident happen. I was in the bathroom putting on make up and DH was in our bedroom with DS1 while he was getting changed. DS1 says to DH, in reference to him getting changed in front of DS1 "X (a kid on his bus) says he saw his mother's... (DS1 thinks for a minute, clearly unable to remember what word X used)... purse" Now, you know that that child did not say purse, but rather said some other P word that will go unnamed. DS1 didn't know that word, so he couldn't remember it. As I told DH afterwards, I will not be getting changed in front of DS1 any longer because I do not want anyone talking about my purse on the bus.

megs4413
06-05-2013, 04:27 PM
You know, my boys are not. Well, I have a 9yo who never went through that phase (but he's a quirky kid) and an almost 6 yo and well, he hasn't entered that phase yet. I don't see that happening though. They aren't permitted to talk that way at school and they don't talk that way at home. Not only that but my 5yo is the language police. The other day I said that I "hated" something (something like stinky laundry, lol) and he said, "hate is a strong word". He gets that phrase from school, lol. So according to my kids *I* have the "potty" mouth.

same situation here...my DS got onto me for saying shoot the other day. I was kinda irritated, TBH. He also just spelled out poop to me...we're dealing with constipation issues so right now I have to um...take a look...before he flushes, and he calls out "Mom, do you need to come see my P-O-O-P?" cracked me up.

baymom
06-05-2013, 04:33 PM
My 7 and 8 year olds have been heavily in the potty mouth phase, but thankfully seem to be growing out of it. I never expected it from DD, but she was just as bad as DS.

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 05:12 PM
I have to say my girls do not do that (yet) but I think it's just because they haven't been around it much.

It's really only a matter of time before one of their friends with brothers teaches them all this stuff.

A few weeks ago Sisi and her little girlfriends were at a tea party. Us parents were at the next table over. One of the parents said, "well, you can really tell that Sisi has brothers (none of her friends do). Look at them.". And sure enough Sisi was teaching the other girls how to make farting noises on their arms. At the tea party. What a delicate flower she is. :wink2:

StantonHyde
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
It's really only a matter of time before one of their friends with brothers teaches them all this stuff.

A few weeks ago Sisi and her little girlfriends were at a tea party. Us parents were at the next table over. One of the parents said, "well, you can really tell that Sisi has brothers (none of her friends do). Look at them.". And sure enough Sisi was teaching the other girls how to make farting noises on their arms. At the tea party. What a delicate flower she is. :wink2:

My DD can burp with the best of them!!

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
My DD can burp with the best of them!!

You must be so proud. ;)

MamaSnoo
06-08-2013, 09:04 AM
We have our fair share of potty mouth in our house with my nearly 6 yo DS1. He even delights in saying words like butt because our house rule is to use tush or bum, not butt. Though, I think he realizes that booty will not be tolerated at all. Which makes things like pirates booty very funny because he gets a pass on the word.

School has definitely been a rude awakening for us in this way though. DS1 is just around a lot of kids with older siblings, plus he rides the bus with kids as old as 12. Earlier this year, we had this little incident happen. I was in the bathroom putting on make up and DH was in our bedroom with DS1 while he was getting changed. DS1 says to DH, in reference to him getting changed in front of DS1 "X (a kid on his bus) says he saw his mother's... (DS1 thinks for a minute, clearly unable to remember what word X used)... purse" Now, you know that that child did not say purse, but rather said some other P word that will go unnamed. DS1 didn't know that word, so he couldn't remember it. As I told DH afterwards, I will not be getting changed in front of DS1 any longer because I do not want anyone talking about my purse on the bus.

Around here, some people call it a "pocketbook." Let's hope that is what he heard. ;)