PDA

View Full Version : Teacher request form wwyd?

Octobermommy
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
At my kid's school we can request teachers. We must rank 3 out of 6 available teachers with valid educational reasons.

My dilemmas:

Several of my friends have mentioned that there is one teacher that is chronically absent. If I don't list her can I mention teacher attendance as an issue. My kinder child won't thrive IMO with a teacher that is absent multiple times per month.

My other child's current teacher gave me 3 names that she would recommend. Do you think it is enough to say "current teacher recommendations".

What are valid educational reasons?

I know these aren't guaranteed but I would like the best shot at getting a better fit for my child.

hillview
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I would list the teachers your teacher suggested as "based on DC's learning needs per recommendation of current teachers"

PZMommy
06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I would ask the teacher why she reccomended those teachers and then list those reasons.

I wouldn't mention the teacher attendance. You never know what could happen to any teacher during the year and they may miss days, even if they've had great attendance in the past. We have a teacher at my school who hasn't missed a day for years, but will be starting chemo next month. She will be out multiple days a month. Sometimes life throws us teachers curveballs and we have to miss more work than we would like. Believe me it is more work to be out, so most teachers try to be at work unless there is a serious issue.

elizabethkott
06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
I would list the teachers your teacher suggested as "based on DC's learning needs per recommendation of current teachers"
:yeahthat:
They likely have the "valid educational reasons" bit in there to prevent parents selecting teachers based on heresay from other parents, you know, the whole "Oh, OUR experience with Mrs. Smith was FANTASTIC! She is the BEST TEACHER IN THE SCHOOL!!!!!". It makes parents stop and think about what might make a teacher a good fit for their particular child, as opposed to a parent just taking their friends' word for it.
I think your child's current teacher's recommendation is a perfectly valid educational reason.

ahisma
06-04-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd list the 3 that your current teacher recommended and state that they were the current teacher recommendations. I think the point of the form is to give you a chance to make alternate requests, which doesn't seem to be something that you are inclined to do this year.

As far as valid educational reasons - here's what I would list for my DS. Yours will obviously be different, but a starting point may be helpful.

H thrives on stability and consistency. He is a rule follower, almost to a fault. He would probably benefit from a classroom where he is encouraged to loosen up a bit. However, a classroom with recurrent disruptions becomes stressful for him.

H would benefit from differentiation in the classroom and is capable of independent self motivated work. He will happily do what is asked, but hasn't reached a point where he recognizes the value of going above and beyond. He will work tediously to obtain a goal and is motivated by recognition.

That said - I didn't fill out the sheet this year. Ours is optional and I decided that the principal, who does our placements, knows him well and is best suited to make that determination.